Username Post: Printing text in a shape        (Topic#1473671)
Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I am looking at an idea book, Scrap Simple.

There is a layout where the text/journaling is printed in the shape of a star. (Hopefully I described this correctly.)

Of course, the book doesn't say how it's done. It simply says, "Try using an unusual shape for your text to draw your reader in."

I searched here and couldn't find anything. I've seen threads about printing in a circle. I'm familiar with the WordArt shapes in Word, but I've never seen a star.

I suppose it could be done by creating a text box for each line of the star and then moving them around to create the shape. This seems pretty tedious.

Anyone know how this is done?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Never mind!
I just figured out a way to do it.

I have MS Publisher. I created an autoshape (star). Then I typed text boxes, sized, rotated, and moved them to fit the 'legs' of the star. I then deleted the star shape, and the text remains in the shape of a star!

A bit tedious, but kinda cool!

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ
In response to Bxr-Linda

There are also cd's with fonts on them. Some of them have Journaling Boxes that are many different shapes. You journal inside and make it whatever size you desire.

scrappingaddict
Pro
scrappingaddict
In response to Croppin4Christ

Before all these new improved programs, I shaped my text into the shape of a fish. I drew the fish and used the layout of the fish to stick to the computer screen for reference. Boy has times changed! PS LO took me 3 hours (2 for the fish design and wording to fit perfectly!)

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to scrappingaddict

I am sure there is some software that does this easily.
I figured it out using what I have, so that's good.

What I was referring to was not a shaped text box, but a shape where the text made the outline of the shape. I'm sure that's clear as mud!

I'll have to see if I can post an example here (later when I have time).

scrappingaddict
Pro
scrappingaddict
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

What I was referring to was not a shaped text box, but a shape where the text made the outline of the shape. I'm sure that's clear as mud!

Unfortunately, I was referring to the same thing. I like the text to form the shape without any lines. Soon, I'll have to post a picture of my fish.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to scrappingaddict

• scrappingaddict Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

Unfortunately, I was referring to the same thing. I like the text to form the shape without any lines. Soon, I'll have to post a picture of my fish.

I thought we were on the "same page".
It looked like the post above you maybe was referring to a box of text in a shape. (E.g. Like a paragraph where the left and right margins vary so the whole block looks like a circle.)

This is so hard to describe without a visual.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to Bxr-Linda

Neat! I'll have to try!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to Coastie Wife

I think I understand...there are directions on my blog for writing in any shape you want. You draw the shape so if you wanted a star, you'd draw a star (or a heart, or whatever. I'm sure you could trace/import the shape. Then you "attach" your words to the papth and voila, it's the text instead of the line...Here's a free form wave as an example....if this is what you mean, here's the blog link. http://scrapbook.com/blogs/28018/view/1228 27.html

Writing on a freeform line/sqiggle By Scraperfect

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to scraperfect

I think I understand...there are directions on my blog for writing in any shape you want. You draw the shape so if you wanted a star, you'd draw a star (or a heart, or whatever. I'm sure you could trace/import the shape. Then you "attach" your words to the papth and voila, it's the text instead of the line...Here's a free form wave as an example....if this is what you mean, here's the blog link. http://scrapbook.com/blogs/28018/view/1228 27.html

Writing on a freeform line/sqiggle By Scraperfect

Thanks!
Yup, that is what I meant. And you know, I saw your post about this before too.

I was frustrated that the idea book I saw the star in didn't give any clue how it was done, just "try this... " Aghhh!

I figured out another way to do the star, so I'll have a couple of options if I ever want to do this.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Bxr-Linda

Very neat - I'll have to give this a try!!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to SmartyPants

P.S. I just found out today that if you want to cut out the words with your Cricut/ SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot), you use object to path instead of text to path. Evidently, SCAl needs objects not text. I will try this soon...and hopefully add it to my blog.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect

So, is this what you wanted? I just had to try...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Yes, that's basically what I was looking at.

The example I saw, each 'leg' of the star was a sentence of journaling. It was printed pretty big, with the photo laid out in the center.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to Bxr-Linda

That would be pretty easy... I just typed STAR enough times to fit around the outside of the shape.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics