Username Post: How do you...        (Topic#1474611)
a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13

get those round paper pieces with the deocrative edges? Some ppl use them for mats behind pix. hope you all know what i'm talkin about

Tenant
In response to a_bowen13

I have a corner rounder punch that does that...

CraftyCandace
Diva
CraftyCandace
In response to MOMTODYLAN

Do you mean these?

Products Referenced in This Post:

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13
In response to CraftyCandace

yep those.
just thought there might be a different way of doing it.

thanx.

MarlaE
MarlaE 
Resident
MarlaE
In response to MOMTODYLAN

Here are some corner punches I found in the sb store. Searched for CORNER PUNCH.

Also, Fiskars has several nice ones I linked below

ME

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to MarlaE

There is another way that costs about $5.00 if you don't get the ShapeCutter to go with it. Fiskars makes a ShapeCutter Template that comes with border templates on the side of each one... They are all different. It is a little more interesting cutting these with a cutting knife but it is possible if you are willing to work for it. Then you can use any kind of punch to add the holes if you want that look as well. They make other templates for this as well but I can not think of any by name right off hand... I have seen them in places like Hobby Lobby but not in the scrapbook isle. You have to check out the other isles for other templates... They work the same I have found and are very inexpensive.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to ImForwardByDesign

I thought of one more inexpensive idea... They make scissors with all kinds of cutting blades... If you cut any shape out the size you want you can use these scissors to get a border effect.

Draw out your first line straight and cut your shape out with a regular pair of scissors...

Then draw another line 1 cm inside your original cutting line...

Then position the blade of the pattern you want on the very outside of the line you drew for your patterned guide...

Cut around it until you have cut your shape out but you may need correct the last jog slightly if you use a tighter pattern versus one that makes larger ZIG s and zags...

Then you can add the punched holes or what not...

I have gotten these scissors for 99 cents and it might be easier than trying to cut around a template. This has worked really well for me and my budget loves it too. It took some trial and error for me so I practiced on regular paper first. I hope this makes sense... if it doesn't let me know and I will try to articulate it better. You can get these scissors in the kids art supplies too.

Other than this I can only think of the Bazzill Basics paper already mentioned. Good Luck.
Products Referenced in This Post:

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13

The scissors are a good idea but to make circles would be a little difficult.

Pookieluvscrap
Tenant
Pookieluvscrap
In response to a_bowen13

you can use Decorative scissors to cut the papers.

Rowan
Rowan 
Veteran
Rowan
  • Rowan on 08-07-08 06:14 AM
In response to Pookieluvscrap

I just did this on my last LO. The mat behind the photo I used the Bazzill just the edge cardstock stips and traced the pattern and cut it out. Then I used a hole punch and punched holes in the scallops. You could use anything with a decorative edge. If you take your time you could even use this on a circle. Would just have to line up the scallops by moving whatever templete your using around the circle.

Edited by Rowan on 08-07-08 06:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to Rowan

Cutting Circles is actually easier than you might think... as long as you draw two lines instead of one so you know where your border scissors need to be... I cut Circles all the time for the spirelli technique...

If you go to my Gallery and look at my "Bridges" page there is a circle I did this way on that page. I used a tighter blade but it turned out okay... This was one of my first ones but it works. My circle doesn't lay flat because of the string wrapped around it but it is essentially the same idea only on a smaller scale.

Hearts are the ones that are very difficult and I couldn't tell you how to make those but circles, squares, rectangles, and triangles are quite simple.

I know this isn't the best idea I have had in my life but right now it is how I am replicating this look. Don't get frustrated you'll find a way that works better for you.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

a few pairs of cheap deco scissors and the eges are endless...

How to cut photo mats with deco scissors
By Gelidy Gelato

love2bcrafty
Resident
love2bcrafty
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I just buy them already made that way.
You can find them at your LS.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to love2bcrafty

For those who can't afford to... We imprevise!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics