Username Post: Distressing 101???        (Topic#1475499)
Lue_BR
Lue_BR 
Expert
Lue_BR

Hi, can anybody teach me how to distress my pages, I really like the LO look of people that ink their edges of the paper, but I don't know which products to use, or tools? Any distressing master can help me?

alysmom09
Expert
alysmom09
In response to Lue_BR

Not a master by any means, but my best suggestion to you is to use Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads. They are wonderful and easy to use. Get some scrap paper and ink away. I usually drag the edge of the paper along the pad and then lightly drag the pad over the edges of the paper...hope that makes sense. I also have used q tips to get tight corners.

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to alysmom09

I love distressing! I also use distress ink, but also use other ink. I have a regular dye ink stamp pad that I use to blacken the edges of paper. I also have some chalk inks that can look good, esp on darker paper.

You can also slightly crumple the edges of the paper and then sand it to distress it. And you can use chalk. I like to experiment with lots of inks and chalks and sandpaper to see what I come up with.

lanuchan
Resident
lanuchan
In response to Crazydiamond

Great, I was wondering the same thing--can you usually only buy the distressing ink pads online--or do you know of any stores that carry them as well?

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to lanuchan

TFS! I've never tried this, but love the look and have always wanted too! I do have some ink that I think I picked up at ACM. I'm going to go practice!

snippetsofme
Veteran
snippetsofme
In response to lanuchan

I have never used the inks but would like to try them

I have used sandpaper on my papers to rough them up

in fact thats exactly what the card I made earlier needs (I knew it needed something else)

THANKS!

rachelk
Idol
rachelk
In response to Lue_BR

I pretty much always use my fingers, dont forget about them, they are your BEST distressing tool! you can use q-tips, but the cotton fiber is really dry and will suck up a lot of your ink (especially important if you use the Holtz ink pads b/c they're pretty $$) so rather than those, i prefer a pointed tip eyeshadow applicato, you will get super precise results in corners. Best of luck, and dont be afraid to get messy!

total chaos
Veteran
total chaos
In response to rachelk

I've picked up the distressing ink at Hobby Lobby.

New Kid On the Block
In response to total chaos

Distress ink is also available at michaels and Joann Crafts. If you don't have ink, a bit of acrylic paint can work too, though it may need to be slightly thinned if its too thick. The cheap stuff is probably perfect. I did this with an art piece of mine (since I was already using the paint anyways) and it turned out pretty nice.

Splattering wax and smearing melted crayon can add interesting effects I've seen, but I haven't tried it on paper (does interesting stuff for wood). Crumpling, splattering with watered down paints, tearing, sanding all work well. Using crumpled paper, canvas, unsanded wood etc as a stamp work well too.

A new favorite of mine is the "peeling paper" technique in Claudia Helmuth's book on collage techniques. Using a bit of text, burnish masking tape, then peel off in a swift movement. It will take a very thin layer off, without completely obscuring the text. It gets even more interesting if you stain with watercolor afterwards.

Something I think might work (it worked once, but I haven't tested it to see if it weren't a fluke) is stamping with acrylic paint. In my art piece, it resulted in a spotty, partial stamp. I can imagine carefully applying the ink so there is more and less in various places could have a similar effect.

Some more stuff can be found in the rock grunge article here http://www.papercraftjunkies.com/eMag/PCJ-2.pdf

Good luck!

gayle3131
Idol
gayle3131
In response to casssita

I have some sponge finger daubers that work great!
I have 1 each for blk and brown that I store in ziplocks, instead of washing and some others that I clean for other ink colors.
I also have another tool that is similar to the Tim Holtz edge distresser for the edges. I think it's a Close to My Heart brand.
Sandpaper, tearing and inking are awesome!!!!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to gayle3131

I just use a regular brown inkpad and scuff up around the edges. It's a pretty easy and quick technique. If I want to take it a little further I crinkle, rip and/or sand the edges a little with a nail file.

Turtlehon
Pro
Turtlehon
In response to olleharr

I usually either rip or sand the edges of my paper then use ink pads (I don't use distressing pads because my regular ones work just as well)and run it along the edges. Sometimes I take the ink pad and run it from the top of the paper down so that it's inked more. If you want to distress the entire page you can use sandpaper and make the color dull. I've also inked my paper. I cut a sponge up and did it that way. Good luck.

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to Turtlehon

I use some af/lf markers the last time I made a name album and they worked well with the chipboard. Plain old brown looked good and then after I covered the pages with pp I used Tim Holtz Walnut to edge the paper.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to okiegrandma

I use very basic methods learned by Scrapperlicious (do a search for her profile and click on her blog link)scrapperlicious.blogspot.com

My fav is to use scissors on the edge of paper (keep them open and just run the edge along and roughen the edges) then ink. Or use a very rough emery board or sandpaper. You can even use a steel ruler to distress.

For an aged look go with Tim Holtz inks. You don't need to soak the paper/photo. If you do use other stamp inks choose colorbox.

Edited by Just G on 08-17-08 07:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lue_BR
Lue_BR 
Expert
Lue_BR
In response to Just G

Thank you sooo much, you ladies helped me a lot. I also saw some videos at youtube.com , just go there and search for scrapbook videos with distressing. Seeing people actually doing the technique helps a lot!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics