Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: QOTD 8/18        (Topic#1475921)
Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-18-08 03:09 AM

Do you scraplift? How do you feel about this as a whole?

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Huskymom

I don't 'lift as a rule. I find it hard to do, simply because I'm usually trying to fit 80 gazillion bits of photos on one page. I do find inspiration from pages, but I don't try to replicate it in my work.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 08-18-08 03:28 AM
In response to Huskymom

No, I don't. I did one lift from a magazine years and years ago. Though I'm sure I get ideas from here for things on my pages, so maybe I do in a way.

I don't have a feeling about it. I know imatation is supposedly the best form of flattery. And if someone lifting me, I would think it was pretty cool. I have the book "Scrap Maps" with a ton of sketches in it, but I never use it.

I just have a hard time imagining my pictures on someone elses layout, even though lifting doesn't mean duplicating item per item, color for color.

Picture Happy
Governor
Picture Happy
In response to KimKV

I Start out lifting, but then my page never rarely turns out the same and so it's more inspired- but I guess you could say that's lifting.

SweetMelissa
Expert
SweetMelissa
In response to Picture Happy

I don't scrap lift very often. If I am in a scrap block I might. I usually get inspired off of the colors, elements or photo placements.

ScrappyHeather
Mayor
ScrappyHeather
In response to SweetMelissa

I have scraplifted a couple of times. Other then that I do use sketches from pagemaps or from others when I have a little scrappers block.

Deanna Kyre
Diva
Deanna Kyre
In response to SweetMelissa

I love to scraplift! Sometimes I try to see how identical I can get my page to theirs, or sometimes it will just be one or 2 elements to someone's page that I really loved and wanted to use. I would not get many LO's done if it wasn't for scraplifting. Maybe that makes me not very creative, but it doesn't mean I'm enjoying my hobby any less

niecey62
Resident
niecey62
In response to Huskymom

I have scrap-lifted before, especially when my mojo was playing hide and seek. Sometimes I will see something and maybe use that idea on part of my page. I get a lot of inspiration from seeing other peoples work.

married05
Idol
married05
In response to niecey62

I love to use sketches and the layouts of others as inspiration. I don't think I ever follow them exactly either. (Usually not the same colors, papers, or embellishments.) I find that if I have "scrapblock" sketches are a great way to get creative again.

I don't have a problem with scraplifting. I just make sure I always give credit in my gallery to the sketch or layout I used.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to niecey62

Yep, I have scraplifted and have been scraplifted. Sometimes I see something that is so perfect and I just want to make it so bad!

For me, time is an issue so sometimes when I've lost my scrap mojo or just to save time, I'll flip to my faves/magazines and see something that inspires me and maybe I'll use a technique/idea or maybe I'll scraplift the whole thing!

Edited by peenut_23 on 08-18-08 05:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

nrthwdscrapper
Mayor
nrthwdscrapper
In response to peenut_23

I scraplift...usually a placement of photos or paper or an element. But rarely do I lift the whole LO. I love sketches too. I have such limited time to scrapbook, so I use it as a way to speed up the process if I'm stalling when trying to do a LO.

-Kristy-
Diva
-Kristy-
In response to nrthwdscrapper

Yes I have scrap-lifted. Mostly just bit and pieces of a lo. I have never lifted a whole lo.

scrapalooza
Diva
scrapalooza

I use sketches more than I scraplift but yes I do scrapalift. I agree that it is a timesaver & it is used for inspiration rather than using it exactly.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi

I have scraplifted two or 3 times, and I always post who I scrap lifted from, and I have also had people lift my work as well. I dont see a problem with lifting as long as credit is given to the person that was lifted.. other times I use sketches, or just come up with ideas on the spot.

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma

I scraplifted totally one time - scrapperk's Baby Love lo published on June 13 this year. I had the perfect photo and it turned out beautifully. I mean, its as near as I could get to her supreme lo. And I understand she scraplifted from someone else. Isn't that neat? I have the credit tag ready to attach to this layout.
Other than that, I look at this site for inspiration - whether that is scraplifting, I don't know. Uh, inspiration and education.
Oh and I have plans for mamarazzi's June 2 lo called "eat my dust". Just gotta find the right photos.

Edited by okiegrandma on 08-18-08 05:40 AM. Reason for edit: Had more to say.

scoot297
Idol
scoot297
In response to scrapalooza

No, not really. It doesn't bother me, and if someone lifted my page, I'd be flattered. However, I just have trouble reproducing an existing layout...not even sure I could scraplift myself!

Charygirl
Mayor
Charygirl
In response to okiegrandma

Well sometimes you HAVE to scrapjack in order to participate in some of the challenges here. It's not a big deal.

Scraplifting has many forms....like PageMaps, or a technique they used, or a paper that caught your eye. Thats why sbdotcom starting writing "How To" articles....to help out people stuck or interested in fresh ideas....
http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/tech/261.html
As long as you're not saying the original idea is completely yours and submitting it to a mag or something. Scrapjacking is a good way to hone your skills.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-18-08 05:59 AM
In response to niecey62

If I scraplift at all, it's only colors and even then I end up doing something completely different. It definitely helps for inspiration and a "jumping off" point.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to Crystal Lullaby

I scraplift and use sketches (the two concepts are pretty similar). If it were up to me, there'd only be like two different ways to put pictures and embellishments on a page. The actual placement of objects on the page is really not my strong point. I never scraplift from scrapbook.com (I sometimes want to, but my computer is downstairs from my scrap room, so...), but I often do from magazines. If these women are published, I figure they know how many people will look at the layouts and scrap lift them. Becky Fleck's pagemaps are the love of my life. I don't think I could ever enter a scraplifted or pagemaped sketch into publication, unless it was a very varied sketch.

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to annoniemous

I dont because I just dont see how someone elses work relates to my experiences..

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics