Username Post: What's your favorite stamp pad?        (Topic#1476883)
dungareedolly
New Kid On the Block
dungareedolly

Hi everyone!

I am very new to stamping and I was wondering if some of you could suggest any brands of stamp pads they like the most?

Also, is there any particular kind of stamp pad to use on fabric?

Thank you!
Dolly

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to dungareedolly

I am not sure about stamping on fabric though I have used mine for ribbon with no trouble (except inky fingers )
I really like my color box petal points because I can get so many colors in one container. Color box also makes cat's eye. I have a few of these-- You can get individual colors for about 1.00.
Here are the color box fluid chalks-- I like them, too-- they give a softer look. I only have 2 of these.

Edited by terrihooper on 08-25-08 06:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to terrihooper

i LOVE the studio G little square stamp pads. I also really like to use the staz-on in black and red. The white I'm not so crazy about- it doesn't seem to work very well.

As far as fabric- you might want to try staz-on since it's permanent and doesn't bleed much.

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to Seaexplore

White Stazon is really only good for stamping on non-porous things like glass and acetate. it works pretty well on that.

I use my Stampin' Up white craft (pigment) ink for stamping on cardstock. Shows up really well.

Pigment inks work well on fabric too. You just have to heat set them.

courtney8818
Veteran
courtney8818
In response to GreenDragonLady

I vote for Stampin' Up! stamp pads. They are the best quality stamp pads I have ever used and they last forever. You can use our Classic pads for stamping on cardstock and then our Craft pads work GREAT on fabric and a number of other material. I am a Stampin' Up! demo, so I can answer any questions you might have about stampng products and techniques. I will PM you for more info.

courtney8818
Veteran
courtney8818
In response to courtney8818

I also thought this might be helpful. Our Classic pads are the Dye ink and the Craft pads are the pigment ink. Hope this helps.

Q: What is the difference between pigment ink and dye ink?

A: There are several differences. Dye ink absorbs into the paper; pigment ink sits on top of the paper and does not absorb. Pigment ink tends to be thicker than dye ink and is often preferred for scrapbooking because pigment inks are more resistant to fading than most dye inks. (However, some dye inks are specifically formulated for use in scrapbooks.) The Stampin' Memories section of the Product Guide contains a more detailed explanation of this and other archival topics.

Q: What about drying time and pigment ink?
A: Pigment ink, by nature, dries more slowly than dye inks. You can heat-set the pigment inks to speed drying time or set them aside to dry. After heat-setting, pigment inks will resist all but the most deliberate efforts to smear them (such as wetting your finger and rubbing the ink). If you live in a humid area, you will want to heat-set the inks, because air-drying time increases as humidity increases. Heat-setting and air-drying produce the same color results. When heat-setting, be careful of heating too long, which may cause a scorched look.

Q: Can I use pigment ink for embossing?

A: Because of the longer drying time noted above, you have time to apply your embossing powder without rushing; therefore, the Craft pads are an excellent choice for embossing.

Q: Can I use pigment ink on slick surfaces like tile, porcelain, and terra cotta?

A: Pigment ink will not dry on slick surfaces, even when heat-set. However, if you seal the ink with clear embossing powder, you get a delightful glossy finish. Our recommendation is that this technique be used for decorative purposes only, because the image can be scratched off with your fingernail or metal, but it doesn't rub off with just a gentle rub from your fingertip. So you could use this technique for a decorative tile to hang on a wall, but you wouldn't want to decorate the tiles on your kitchen floor this way.

Q: What about wood?

A: Pigment ink works well on smooth raw wood and on wood already painted with a water-based paint, as long as it is heat-set. After heat-setting, you may choose to spray it with a fixative to add an extra layer of protection.

Q: Can I stamp walls with pigment ink?

A: Results with pigment ink on walls vary depending on texture, finish, and previous paint on the walls. Test on a small portion of unseen wall. If the image is dry after heat-setting, it may be used on the remainder of the wall. Acrylic paints are the best choice for stamping on walls.

Q: Does pigment ink work on fabric?

A: Yes, you can use it for stamping on fabrics. However, colors are less vibrant on fabric than on paper. Also, even after heat-setting, fabric inks fade slightly. This is true not only of our Craft pads but other fabric pads available in the retail market as well. For a more vibrant image, try stamping the same image twice (one on top of the other) using the Stamp-a-ma-jigĀ®. Here are some important tips to remember when stamping on fabric:

Prewash the fabric.
Tightly woven and smooth-finished fabrics work best.
Test a small area of fabric first.
Heat-set immediately after stamping.
Wash as normal or hand wash, but air or line dry.
For best results, re-ink pad frequently.

dungareedolly
New Kid On the Block
dungareedolly
In response to courtney8818

Wow! Thanks so much everyone, you have all been so very helpful!

Technique Tuesday, LLC
Veteran
Technique Tuesday, LLC
In response to dungareedolly

Have lots of faves!
Products Referenced in This Post:

mmbc
mmbc 
Expert
mmbc
  • mmbc on 08-29-08 11:53 AM
In response to Technique Tuesday, LLC

Love memento inks by tsukineko. You don't have to heat set them like brilliance inks but they still work well with copic markers. I am not sure about fabric.....

leibetty
Governor
leibetty
In response to mmbc

I love VersaFine for stamping images to color in

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics