Username Post: New and a question        (Topic#1478333)
AngieKT
Tenant
AngieKT

Hi everyone.
I've just started scrapbooking (I only have 3 pages right now) I actually have a couple questions and I'll be soooo grateful if anyone could help me out!

First of all, how do you decide on the layout of the page. So far I've just done things one step at a time and added things without really having an 'idea' on where and how to put things. Should I decide before hand exactly where to put everything and what to use?

Second, there are a few looks that I like but I think it would cost me a fortune to get all the tools necessary. How long did it take you to buy all the tools/things/etc. (I've seen some of the scraprooms and they're SO amazing. (by any chance does Costco have any scrapbooking supplies in bulk??)

Thanks!

SplendidMoments
Governor
SplendidMoments
In response to AngieKT

Welcome!! Lotsa lotsa lotsa time to buy... there is so much out there to make deffinate choices what to get. I see bargains I get, and accumulate! Just take it slow and don't be afraid to try anything. I have some pages looks like my 2 year old nephew did it from when I started and didn't have anywhere near what I have today. I think one of those pages is actually in my gallery. I don't know if I helped.

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to martie_27_owen@yahoo.com

Welcome,

1) I think that planning your page is a good way to go. I have not done it that way yet, LOL. Look through the galleries and see what you like and try to duplicate (Scraplift).

2) I usually buy products as I need them for a project. But I also budget for big things that I want, like the Cricut. Don't worry the stuff will come. One day you are going to look up and say how did I accumulate all of this.

New Kid On the Block
In response to AngieKT

My first advice is don't adhere anything until you have your layout planned. If you do, you will always think of a better placement of it. Lay it all out completely, then stick it down. And don't just buy something because it is cheap or on clearance. I have a habit of jumping in over my head, buying stuff that I think I need just because it is for scrapbooking or whatever project I am interested in at the time. Alot of that very stuff will be in my garage sale next weekend! Looking at layouts online is good advice. It will show you alot of different styles. And be creative. You can do ALOT with paper and simple tools. Most of all, Have Fun!

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to lorleeann

Welcome! This is the best place on the internet! I've gotten so many tips from here -- it's the right place to go to get questions answered!

I don't adhere anything to my pages until I've laid it all out, rearranged it a few times, and am pleased with it. Before I start a page, I usually have an idea of how I want it to look. I have a "catalog" of sorts -- I clip LOs from scrapping magazines, and I browse galleries A LOT. I've also printed lots of lay out sketches from www.pagemaps.com. Whan I have,let's say 5 pix for a page, I flip through my sketches, get an idea of how to arrange them, and them go from there. LOTS of times my LOs don't end up looking anything like I had anticipated!

Supplies come with time. I know what I'd like to have and when I see it on sale I buy it. If I know what pictures I'm planning on scrapping, when I have Coupons or know there's a sale, I buy what I'll need for that project(usually end up buying even what I don't need -- gotta get some more control over this impulse shopping!)

Edited by provinca on 09-05-08 04:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MarlaE
MarlaE 
Resident
MarlaE
In response to provinca

I enjoy using PageMaps. There's a book and a web site by that name.

Haven't bought the book yet, but I've printed out almost all the sketches on the web site and that's where I usually go first when planning a new page. Gives me a good idea for pic placement, etc.

I also surf the gallery here and mark LO's as favorites and then look over those when I'm planning a new page.

Welcome and have fun with your new hobby!

ME

RhondaR
Idol
RhondaR
In response to provinca

arranging everything before adhering is GREAT advice!
The tools and supplies will come with time. It's a gradual thing for most of us I think. And like someone else said, before long you wonder how you got so much stuff LOL.
And welcome!!

KellyLynnsGirls
Expert
KellyLynnsGirls
In response to RhondaR

Welcome...and I would say a good investment would be Becky Higgins Sketchbooks...these will really help you figure out how you want to lay out your photos.
My Costco carries a few scrapbook items all the time...but go to their website...they have lots more on there! And don't worry about getting everything out there, NOW...I know it would be hard for me...but just start slow, and believe me, you will add to your stash! I started 10 years ago, and had a 4 drawer rubbermaid on wheels...I now have an entire room...that I have to go and purge before I grow out of it!
Good luck...and don't forget to have fun doing it!

LeisCreationsNCrafts
Veteran
LeisCreationsNCrafts
In response to KellyLynnsGirls

WELCOME! I've wanted to scrapbook for years now, but finally with the birth of my second son I'm finally making all their memories on pages. I usually don't adhere anything till I know how I want everything positioned. That way you don't get adhesive on places or surfaces you can't remove.

As for supplies.. YIPES! There are SO many out there, that now since I've started I find myself at Michaels, Joann & online all the time. The great thing about the big stores is they have sales and Coupons all the time. If it's a little pricey I suggest waiting for the usually 40% Coupons that come out. The SB store here also has great items. I second the whole " look at peoples Layouts, to get an idea of the style and supplies you want to think about purchasing. Evryone here is so helpful so feel free to ask about what was used. Welcome to SB and no, I don't think Costco has much. I looked, but the best thing I bought for SBing is my Fiskars Rotary cutter.

Edited by Aloha_Joy74 on 09-05-08 07:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to LeisCreationsNCrafts

Start with just the basics - a good paper trimmer is a must, some good scissors, an acid free glue and some paper. Add a couple spools of ribbon and a couple packages of brads as you need them. I'd also suggest you check to see if any LSS is offering a free "tools" class - that gives you a chance to try things out before you purchase. Archivers has been offering one if you have one close.

AngieKT
Tenant
AngieKT
In response to dwelch

Thanks everyone! You've all been so helpful and I'll take all the advice and hopefully manage to create something I like!

New Kid On the Block
In response to AngieKT

hi, i just joined this site too and love all the good advice and ideas. you asked if costco has some supplies and it sure does. sometimes they have "scrapbook" baskets with tons of matching stuff and themes. Sams club has a package of 12x12 paper, it runs about 20$ for 300 sheets. the sheets are two sided and can be used to make mats, embelishments and other things. by the way don't despise small beginings, they lead to great discoveries and an awesome album. dennmore.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae
In response to AngieKT

• AngieKT Said:
Hi everyone.
I've just started scrapbooking (I only have 3 pages right now) I actually have a couple questions and I'll be soooo grateful if anyone could help me out!

First of all, how do you decide on the layout of the page. So far I've just done things one step at a time and added things without really having an 'idea' on where and how to put things. Should I decide before hand exactly where to put everything and what to use?

Second, there are a few looks that I like but I think it would cost me a fortune to get all the tools necessary. How long did it take you to buy all the tools/things/etc. (I've seen some of the scraprooms and they're SO amazing. (by any chance does Costco have any scrapbooking supplies in bulk??)

Thanks!

First of all, what size/format do you wish to scrap in, the standard has been 12x12, but there are so many other album sizes out there. Second of all, this is YOUR artwork, go with what you feel comfortable with, don't feel pressured to copy the latest trends and designs... your style will come in time. Third, do you have the basics... adhesive, 18 inch ruler, pencil, scissors, paper trimmer (preferably 12x12), and what are your favorite colors, and what are the 'themes' you want to scrap... your best bet would be to go to a Local scrapbook store , or to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby... whatever you have in your town, and purchase a couple of different Simple Scrapbooks s.... they will help you see what style is out there, and most of them have basic kit lists for beginner scrappers. Below is an example of the basic kit items you may need.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Kimberly Rae

My first advice would be to yes, definitely layout your layout first before adhering anything. It helps very much in creating a good overall design. Sometimes I completely abandon my attempts after laying out my page elements because it doesn't look right at all. Then, I generally go in a completely different direction that I end up liking a lot better than the first attempt.

As for tool purchasing... yes they can be expensive and generally take some time to acquire. I also suggest using galleries (here especially and other places) to help you decide what products you might even be interested in purchasing. If you do some study of this sort first you may be able to avoid the biggest and most expensive pitfall for scrapbooking shoppers... buying things you don't use or like to use. (As was already suggested, the sb store tool trials are definitely an even more hands on way to try out certain products.)

And further, there are very cheap ways of creating more "expensive" looks. A case in point... a good pair scissors (I have reasonably priced Cutterbees and love them) and a pencil and a plate (or any other flat and round object really) can help you make a very attractive circle design. Some of these techniques may take longer but the results can be just as stunning as the more expensive methods and if you don't have the easy tools they can definitely help get you the look you want without breaking your budget. What's more if you check this place out... people here are more than happy to share them.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by KatieJo on 09-06-08 05:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 09-06-08 07:20 PM
In response to KatieJo

I started scrapbooking, really back when I was a teenager...there were NO scrapbooking supplies ....I made my books out of cardboard and fabric and yarn....there were no acid free supplies or page protecters or deco paper....we are talking about some 30 odd years ago, then in my 20's, along came stickers and deco scissors and patterened paper, and double sided tape, but still, acid free was not a big issue...and every thing was 8.5 x 11. So over the years all I really had were a few rubber stamps, loads of deco scissors and a pile of paper,and a stack of templates.... I could keep it all in a large shoe box.
Then over the years, being a single mom, and work keeping me on the road most of the time, I wasn't learning anything new, so I just kept on with what I knew.
At the beginning of this year, I was disabled, so I bought a Cricut after seeing the infomercial, and signed up on this site.
I started asking questions about the LO's that I liked and started learning new techniques....I live in a small town, and am not able to go to crops, there is no such thing here. I would make a list of the supplies I needed to do what I wanted...I bought stuff on line and when I went to the city.
Now, less than a year later, I have a room full of supplies...my old albums have been converted to acid free..and I have beautiful new albums...and my work is so advanced as to what I was used to doing.
The women on this site are wonderful...they will help you out with anything you need to know.
You will inevitably buy things that you think you want..and will not be your thing, so when you do purchace something don't buy everything available, just get what you need at the moment and try it out. I used a craft knife, quilters ruler and self healing quilters mat for years....and most of the time I still do.
Be careful of the "fad" items, and think about how many times you would actually use it....like a punch for instance, do you want to spend $15 on something you might only use once or twice?
Use Coupons and watch the sales, and clearance items...check out online auctions for supplies to try and get a good deal.Don't just by a paper stack because you like a couple of the designs, you will wind up with a massive collection of paper you will never use.
Your supply stash will grow much faster than you think.
If you have questions or want to try something new and don't know how, come here and ask. Don't feel intimidated, everyone here started from the beginning, just like you.
Good luck and happy scrapping!

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to rtay

I have been scrapbooking for a couple of years now, and have always kinda had an idea of what I wanted before doing a LO. From there I design and see what happens. Sometimes I will use a sketch I have found, but I never really do much planning besides colors and style. It takes some time, and mine are nowhere near perfect. Just have fun with it and it will come.

As for shopping that comes with time as well. I like to shop, but try (keyword is try) to limit myself. Once piece of advice I have for you is to not go too crazy at the beginning. Get tools and things like that first and use Coupons if you can. What I try to do is get a new tool and force myself to use it a few times before getting another one. Find a technique you would like to try and go from there. Never be afraid to try new things, you will learn so much from that!

Welcome and good luck!!

Ma2Crzygrls
Pro
Ma2Crzygrls
In response to dennmore

I bought that paperstack at Sam's and its great! You get several sheets in a gazillion different colors and patterns.

AngieKT
Tenant
AngieKT
In response to Ma2Crzygrls

Thank you everyone. You've all been so helpful. I really really REALLY appreciate it!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics