Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: How do you catch up?        (Topic#1479549)
CropMommy
Tenant
CropMommy

Hi! This is my first post here... and the reason I sought out a forum.
I am waaaaay behind in my scrapbooking. I have 3 children, one is 6 months, and I've barely started her book! Not to mention all the regular family events that I'm missing.

Do you have any tips, ideas, or special things you do that helps get you caught up? Maybe the same format or embellishments that would go with anything? (I don't have time to shop beforehand)

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to CropMommy

Don't feel so bad.....I'm 27 years behind. My daughter is going on 27 years old and I still have her pics in boxes. I started by sorting all my pics by themes...xmas, bdays, school days, sports, etc.....I have a couple of albums going at a time so I don't get board. I also decided that I cannot possibly scrap every pic. As I approach a new theme, I sort the ones I deem scrap worthy and put the rest in a traditional photo sleeve (4x6) in the back of the album. I just started scrapping in May of this year and have completed 4 albums, plus a couple of chipboard albums as well as 2 of more recent events such as a recent vacation to Phoenix/Grand Canyon and my daughters pregnancy/birth of my grandson. I am currently working on his 1st year album and a heritage one of my Mom for my Mom.

Just relax, and have fun!

gigikay
Governor
gigikay
In response to CropMommy

I guess the fact that I have built up a stash is one big help but I know that is not a choice for everyone. Flowers, brads, chip board swirls and rubon swirls ( or any shape you like the most) and letters are a great help.

Some pattern papers with words on them for birthdays, babies, Autumn and chistmas. These can be cut and layered on other papers for embellishments or points of interest. Basic ink colors are good for distressing.

I also have filed all my photos in boxes according to events and the person with dividers. I also add notes in with the photos if I think of a title or journaling I want to remember when I get to the photos. That way they are at my finger tips when I want to do a layout and I don't have to go searching. When I do Christmas 06 I can do a couple of similar layouts, say one for each child.
Or...... if all else fails you can do what my grown girls do...they give all the birthday photos to me (their Mother) to scrap so they can catch up on the others.

But whatever you do enjoy the process. I am a Grandmother of 4 and I still have not catch up but the photos are there waiting for me and even after 15 years or so of scraping I still love it.

scrappinmy4kids
Expert
scrappinmy4kids
In response to gigikay

I dont think that anyone can ever be caught up completely.

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to Patti Sylvia

• scrapn biker chick Said:
Don't feel so bad.....I'm 27 years behind. My daughter is going on 27 years old and I still have her pics in boxes. I started by sorting all my pics by themes...xmas, bdays, school days, sports, etc.....I have a couple of albums going at a time so I don't get board. I also decided that I cannot possibly scrap every pic. As I approach a new theme, I sort the ones I deem scrap worthy and put the rest in a traditional photo sleeve (4x6) in the back of the album. I just started scrapping in May of this year and have completed 4 albums, plus a couple of chipboard albums as well as 2 of more recent events such as a recent vacation to Phoenix/Grand Canyon and my daughters pregnancy/birth of my grandson. I am currently working on his 1st year album and a heritage one of my Mom for my Mom.

Just relax, and have fun!

I have posted a few of the items that I have used. They made it alot easier to get done....embellies to match and an accordian chipboard album all included.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to gigikay

i would recommend starting a journal. i know there are a lot of things you want to put in the scrapbook that you may forget so writing it down helps. and that is also a good way to quickly sketch any ideas you have for a LO. then, when you have time, you can go back and scrap it.

for embellies, i'd go with generic ones you will most likely use. holidays, travel, baby, etc.

and dont worry about being behind. you always will be. once you finish a few pages, your camera fills up again with more things to scrap! have fun!

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to scrappinmy4kids

I agree ... I am not caught up at all either. I have a 2.5 year old and I am still scrapping her baby pictures.

The funny thing is someone was looking through my albums on the weekend and said they couldn't believe I was caught up! What I do is scrap recent events and then go back and do a baby page or two ... my albums seem caught up but I haven't scrapped everything I want to.

I also get a huge amount of inspiration from this site and it gives me ideas to help me stay on top of things.

I have built up quite a stash as well so that makes it easier to scrap!

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to gigikay

• gigikay Said:
I guess the fact that I have built up a stash is one big help but I know that is not a choice for everyone. Flowers, brads, chip board swirls and rubon swirls ( or any shape you like the most) and letters are a great help.

Some pattern papers with words on them for birthdays, babies, Autumn and chistmas. These can be cut and layered on other papers for embellishments or points of interest. Basic ink colors are good for distressing.

I also have filed all my photos in boxes according to events and the person with dividers. I also add notes in with the photos if I think of a title or journaling I want to remember when I get to the photos. That way they are at my finger tips when I want to do a layout and I don't have to go searching. When I do Christmas 06 I can do a couple of similar layouts, say one for each child.
Or...... if all else fails you can do what my grown girls do...they give all the birthday photos to me (their Mother) to scrap so they can catch up on the others.

But whatever you do enjoy the process. I am a Grandmother of 4 and I still have not catch up but the photos are there waiting for me and even after 15 years or so of scraping I still love it.

I also did the same as built up a stash of supplies over the last 4 months....My husband's recent git to me of my Cricut and some of the paper packs has also been of great help. I really don't need anything other than albums as I go along, and should be able to knock off a few themes albums without having to shop for anything.

Although it's sooo much fun to shop.

CropMommy
Tenant
CropMommy
In response to scrappinmy4kids

I guess I didn't mean totaly caught up. You're right, that would make anyone I've done each child's 1st year books and I've done a family book every year. Yeah, some years are more scrapped than others, but I'd like to keep current.
I'm going to a weekend crop this Friday and I'm going to be getting things ready starting tonight.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to CropMommy

First off it depends on what and how you want to scrap. If you want to scrap everything...

This is what I tell my friends, start with current photos. Get them scrapped right away.

Then as you can organize past photos, pick a starting point. Any point will do and just do it while keeping up with current pix.

If you only want to scrap certain things or only great pix, then it's still a good idea to get your photos organized into some sort of system. Whether it's photo albums or boxes or files. Whatever works best for you and the space you have to work in. At least this way, you'd be more likely to find what you want to scrap next.

I have several years that I'm currently working on. I can't help scrapping chronologically, just my brain's wiring, I start in January and work my way through the year. Just finished 2006, half way through 2007, not started 2008 but will soon, and have pages to redo since glue stick stuff is falling apart. AND I found pix that I never knew I had that needs to be scrapped too.

Dh recently asked what I was gonna do when I was ALL caught up, "take more photos" was my answer. Make individual albums for my grandsons, make more gift albums for others. It never stops.

boomersgang
Resident
boomersgang
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I have 6 kids and was WAY behind. I do albums for each of them plus family albums so I have 7 going at all times. I just got caught up - almost. I'm up to July of this year. I only have 2 more layouts then I have to wait for more current pics to be developed. Some ideas to get caught up:

1. I keep a book where I cut layouts out of mags that I like and would be usable for me (in other words, simple to do). I divide them by number of photos and keep them in a 3-ring binder. I also have the BH sketch books as well.

2. When I find a layout I really like - especially quick and easy ones, I do that same layout for each album. Usually for the same subject (Christmas or whatever) but it doesn't have to be. I change them up a bit with different papers, colors, embellishments, titles and things like that so they usually aren't identical - but sometimes they are. Then I do it like an assembly line - the background, then the photos, then the title, embellishments, journaling, etc. I can pop out several layouts in a relatively short time.

3. Keep a list of the layouts you want to do. It feels good to cross them off. I keep a word program with my list. It also helps that you have it written down so you don't have to remember. AND you can also write down memories, journaling prompts and ideas, etc with the list so it's there when you're ready.

4. And remember, the most important thing is that the memories are THERE! When I finish a page, I feel good knowing that that particular memory will now never be forgotten. That's the most important thing - not the embellishments or how difficult the page is. So keep it simple. I don't do overly embellished pages, but they are still pretty and attractive. One of these days I will get some time to upload and post!
Lori

boomersgang
Resident
boomersgang
In response to boomersgang

One more thing - I rarely buy "occasion-specifec" items. I used to, but found I rarely used them. I tend to buy general items that would go with any type of page.
Lori

Rachel's mom
Veteran
Rachel's mom
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I used to get so bummed about being behind that I just didn't scrap...which put me further behind!! Now I try and remind myself that it doesn't matter...that I am supposed to be having fun and enjoying myself!! I started keeping a little scrap journal. I jot down notes or sketches. And, because I am well over a year behind, I have gone through the pictures on my camera from last year and have made a list of the pics I want to scrap...that way when I do find the precious spare time to work, I don't spend it all on trying to find the right picture. I also do journaling this way. I am a chronological scrapper and I just cannot make myself scrap a picture I took last week when I have pictures from last year that still need attention. But, I don't want to forget all of the important "journaling" info (who knows when I will have time to scrap 2008 pics!) so I make journaling notes now to reference back to later. That really seems to help.

Good luck and don't let yourself get too frustrated...enjoy it!!

raindancer
Governor
raindancer
In response to Rachel's mom

*raises hand* 4 years behind here! I am a chrono scrapper.. and just take it one LO at a time. But some folks have suggested to scrap one of the present, then one of the past and alternate that way.. eventually you'll get all caught up! Good luck. It can be intimidating to start out, but don't let it get ya'..

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to raindancer

Caught up??? What's that???

CropMommy
Tenant
CropMommy
In response to boomersgang

Using the same layout for a variety of different pages and doing them all at the same time is a great tip! I think I'm going to try that this weekend. Thank you!

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to Rachel's mom

First, pause and take a deep breath. *You are not behind.* You have wonderful photos and memories to go along with them- that's half the battle. I know tons of people who don't even have the photos, much less a scrapbook.

Okay, feel a little better now?

I think the first step is to organize your photos, if they're not already. Put them in an album or photo box, or if they're digital make sure they're all organized and BACKED UP (that last part is very important). As you're organizing, if stories or memories come to you, write them down (on index cards or post-it-notes or whatever) and put them in the album with your photos (just don't put the post-it *on* the photo) or type them in a word or text document and put them in the folder with your photos (if your photos are digital).

Now that you've done that, guess what? You have all your photos organized and accessible, and you have the start of your journaling. How cool is that?

There are a bunch of ways to go from here. You can scrap chronologically and choose the oldest photos and move forward from there. You can scrap the newest ones and then go back and do old ones and just "keep up" (I hate the term "caught/keep up" in relation to scrapbooking- makes it feel like a chore). You can scrap "events" or "moments" or you can do both.

Personally, I scrap whatever photos/product entices me on a given day. Sometimes I want to use a specific paper or embellishment and go hunting for photos that work with it. Or I have photos that I really want scrapped, so I flip the process around. I've also discovered that my process has the added benefit of mixing my pages around- meaning that my style has changed dramatically since I started scrapping (and so have products), and all of my albums (I have one for each year- I scrap out of order but put them in order in the albums) have a good mix so that none of them looks the same.

As far as templates/layouts, there are some really good sketch resources out there. I'll link some books to this post. Also check out Cherish and Imagine- two books from Close to My Heart. I don't work for this company, but I love these two books. They come complete with cutting and assemble instructions and are well-worth the cost.

Edited by scrappyJedi on 09-15-08 08:44 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jazzescrapper
Governor
jazzescrapper
In response to raindancer

I am probably one of the werid ones but I NEVER EVER want to be caught up....LOL....I take more pics now then I did before I scrapped and let me tell you I took tons of them before scrapbooking came along.

I have 7 kids and I am so disorganized. I wasn't at one time but I lost my scrapbook room to older kids so now it's all over my upstairs landing and my room. My hubby is a good man as he has to make his path to get to his side of the bed and he does so without complaint. Hey he bought the majority of the stuff for me...LOL...

Rather then worry about being behind look at it as a chance to use new products all the time. I have only one girl out of 7 and if I had done ALL her baby pics I wouldn't get to use the cool newer products when they come out.

Someone said enjoy the process and that is great advice. Buy what you can when you can (scrapbook kits clubs are great for getting newer papers and embellishments that all match). Just have fun and take tons of photos. My kids love their books but they also love going through all the pics I have taken.

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to jazzescrapper

I totally second what jazzescrapper said about kit clubs. If you don't have time to shop for things beforehand, this can be a great way to get pre-coordinated items delivered straight to you. And you get lots of the latest goodies, too, without having to run all over the place shopping for them.

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to scrappyJedi

I am not nor will I ever be caught up. I wish I were. Have fun working on it though.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics