Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Post-bound vs. 3-ring/D-ring albums        (Topic#1481393)
MelissaKD
Resident
MelissaKD

I am a 12 x 12 scrapper and have always used post-bound albums. I see that there are a LOT of new 3-ring or D-ring albums on the market -- obviously a trend in this direction.

Does anyone have an opinion on which is better and why? Any 3-ring scrappers out there, can you weigh in on why you like this format? Is it just because you can fit in more layouts and it's easier to move pages around, or something else?

Thanks for your ideas!!

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to MelissaKD

I like the d rings because I like the look of mixing page sizes within an album. It is also easier to add in and remove pages. The downfall is if you do 2 page spreads, there will be a big gap in the center unlike postbound. I also think with D ring your pages can be bulkier. jmo

oh and on my blog (in my siggy) I have a d-ring made by American Crafts that I altered

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to MelissaKD

I've been using 3-ring binders for 10 years. I've also used postbound but I much prefer the 3 ring. They hold more, the pages are easier to move around, I don't have to take the whole album apart to insert more page protectors . I think the only thing I can think of that might be a problem for some people is that the pages don't butt together in the middle. I can live with that.

I just bought two 12x12 3-ring binders from J's online not too long ago. They were on sale for less than $12 each and I had a free shipping code.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to gg loves Matthew

• gg loves Matthew Said:

oh and on my blog (in my siggy) I have a d-ring made by American Crafts that I altered

That looks awesome. That's the kind of albums I just bought (mine are brown & black - it's the only colors they had in stock). How do you plan to protect the cover from being destroyed?

cheery scrap
Mayor
cheery scrap
In response to Judy_Scraps

I love the d-ring albums because it's so much easier to move los around and it's easier to add pages!!!

Veteran
In response to cheery scrap

took me awhile to jump on the d ring binder band wagon but now i will never go back. You can slide layouts in and out at ease and there's no need to worry about spacres to keep the book from getting that pie shape....

AngieKT
Tenant
AngieKT
In response to lilymommy

I'm using my 3 ring for my one page layouts and my post-bound mostly for my 2 page layouts

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to AngieKT

After doing 4 post bound albums I purchased a D ring album and have to say I really like being able to move pages around and adding more page protectors should I need to. I will probably still post bound if it's really the album I want. It seems that the D-rings are more expensive and there aren't as much of a variety...yet. If I do use a post bound though I will also buy the plastic strap hinge to replace the metal post. I hate those.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Patti Sylvia

I use both. I like the ease of moving pages around in the 3-ring but since I converted all my postbound to snap n load I like those just fine too!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Scrapbook Queen on 09-30-08 06:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I use the ring binders for my "in progress" books and when a year is finally completed, I put the pages in order (in new page protectors ) and transfer them into a post album.

Then I begin the next year in the ring album with the old page protectors . I keep separate ring binders for each child.

(I use the old protectors in the "in progress" books b/c they tend to get more abused over time.)

melilou
Guru
melilou
In response to scraperfect

I use the D-ring for my most recent pages, and transfer them to the post bound albums when the D-ring gets too full. (I'm not a very linear scrapper. I'm always jumping from timeline to timeline, subject to subject.) That way I'm not spending so much time messing with adding and rearranging the post bound albums.
I also use the snap load system for all my post-bound, which definately makes it easier.

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to gg loves Matthew

• gg loves Matthew Said:
I like the d rings because I like the look of mixing page sizes within an album. It is also easier to add in and remove pages. The downfall is if you do 2 page spreads, there will be a big gap in the center unlike postbound. I also think with D ring your pages can be bulkier. jmo

I like the D-Ring/3ring for the same reasons as GG. Especially the part about having different sized pages in the same album. I have 12x12, 8.5x11 (both portrait and landscape), and 6x12 (also portrait and landscape) all in the same album. Oh, and some 6x6 and 8x8, just for variety. I first saw this on Ali Edwards' blog, and love the look of it.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to scrappyJedi

ditto what they said...

I've never used anything but 3-ring. LOVE THEM!

Sarah Jean
Resident
Sarah Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I have trouble finding 3 rings! So I usually get post bound but it's not because I want too. Anyway, I really like that idea of getting them in progress then placing them in another album. I will have to invest in some 3 ring albums for Christmas!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Sarah Jean

• Sarah Jean Said:
I have trouble finding 3 rings! So I usually get post bound but it's not because I want too. Anyway, I really like that idea of getting them in progress then placing them in another album. I will have to invest in some 3 ring albums for Christmas!

I actually intended to do this the other way around. I bought some cheap postbound albums to put my newly-finished layouts, because the postbound is smaller and could fit in my tote for going to crops.

I found that most of my pages would not fit in the postbound and it was big pain in the arse, so I gave up on that idea!

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 10-01-08 07:43 PM
In response to MelissaKD

I only use post (or now snapload) because I do mostly 2pages and want my pages butted up right next to each other because many times I will cut something down the middle of the two pages.

I also used rings for my ebay pages and didn't like the fact that many of my protectors kept getting caught where the rings come together and ripping sometimes.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Kiber

I just switched recently from strap hinge to Dring. I am so happy. I bought 3&1/2" spine ones. I just put in 50 page protectors with 100 layouts. Some of them are lumpy. I used to put the same amount in the strap hinge but I am so happy to have the 3 ring. It is much faster & easier.

MelissaKD
Resident
MelissaKD
In response to Scrapbook Queen

• Scrapbook Queen Said:
I use both. I like the ease of moving pages around in the 3-ring but since I converted all my postbound to snap n load I like those just fine too!

Thank you **so much** for including that link to the Snap n Load ... I remember reading about those but couldn't remember the product name or who made it, so I was really at a loss to find them! (I'm 8 months pregnant -- BAAAD prego-brain!)

MelissaKD
Resident
MelissaKD
In response to MelissaKD

Hi ladies -- thank you everyone for your great insights -- this is really helpful. I do a lot of 2page LOs so I think post-bound is still probably my best bet. But I like the idea of storing pages in a 3-ring until the year is completed, then transfering them. I jump around in timeframe a lot too, and right now I have finished pages just sitting in the front of one of my post-bound books, waiting for me to "catch up" to them so I can put them in!

Thanks again!

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres
In response to MelissaKD

I bought my first D-ring last month and I like that it will hold more than the post-bound. Now I won't have to buy an album for awhile!

The American Crafts one has a special closure inside the ring so pages can't slip through easily if it opens up a little. "Interlocking" they call it.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics