Username Post: How to get spray adhesive off your fingers?        (Topic#1482743)
krissykat
Expert
krissykat

I discovered spray adhesive today and am loving it! Maybe I am loving it too much as I have sticky fingers now! As I type my thumb is sticking to spacebar How do you get your fingers unsticky? I have been washing my hands with hot water but hasn't helped much. Still have half my project to go so I want to able to get fingers unstuck before I go to bed tonight at least

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to krissykat

There are products you can buy, but for tonight I'd try rubbing your fingers with mayonnaise!

barbarathrasher
Resident
barbarathrasher
In response to johnsusan8

Ive never tried it, but I have heard that rubbing alcohol works to get off the junk. GL

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca
In response to barbarathrasher

vegetable oil

(Someone else posted about this several weeks ago and I suggested doing this - it is how my dad used to clean paint off his hands. She said it worked for her.)

KristiL
Veteran
KristiL
In response to Bellanca

Try Goo-Gone, I had the same problem last week (glad I'm not alone!) and it worked like a charm!

Keleia
Keleia 
Guru
Keleia
In response to krissykat

Goo gone works great and smells like oranges!

Blessings, Keleia

Oops! I didn't read all the posts, sorry for the double-up on Goo Gone~

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to Keleia

• Keleia Said:
Goo gone works great and smells like oranges!

Blessings, Keleia

Oops! I didn't read all the posts, sorry for the double-up on Goo Gone~

I like it when more than one person suggests something. Especially when it is something that I am going to have to buy. I makes me feel better about putting my money into that product.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to Mix-on the Memories

I needed this suggestion. I always use spray glue, and it gets all over my fingers. My best solution so far as been to scrub long enough for it to loose its "sticky" and then wait for it to wear off!

krissykat
Expert
krissykat
In response to annoniemous

I used the vegetable oil suggestion since that's what i had in the house. I still have a sticky fingernail, but it took most of the stick off my actually skin, but not all of it. Soooo, I am pretty much just peeling it off as it starts to "shed".

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 10-12-08 07:30 AM
In response to krissykat

I use talcum powder (or bath powder). I have this travel bottle and keep it at my desk. When I use the spray adhesive, I can then put it on my fingers/hands and it unsticks them. Really cool and I like the powdery feel and smell.

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to GrandmaMichelf

I use rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover (acetone). Works great. And, you can use the same things to clean adhesive goo off of your scissors.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to scrappyJedi

Undu. Undu has MANY uses.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I came here to find out the answer and went to the trouble of signing up to note something that kind of freaked me out.

I used spray adhesive for the first time for a project two weeks ago - (princess bed and throne for my granddaughters - red velvet and brocade and cardboard etc.)

It worked well, I liked it.

Today I went to glue some red velvet inside a doll sized 'treasure chest' and when I pressed the nozzle, it stayed down and would not release!

It took me several seconds to pull the nozzle up, in the meantime, spray adhesive was spraying everywhere.

My hands were coated. And when it was done I realized how easily it could have sprayed me in the face and eyes, and god forbid I had my granddaughters with me when that mishap occurred. It still freaks me out to think about it.

Be careful. Not sure what the answer is, I feel like it could be a dangerous situation at worst, and a very messy one at best.

In the meantime I used (as per recommendations above) rubbing alcohol, then oil, then mayonnaise, along with hot water and soap. I'm fairly unstuck now.

Just be careful ladies.

Scrapjanny
Resident
Scrapjanny
In response to ddvalley

Un-Du. It's magic!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics