Page 2 of 88 
Username Post: Skrappy Shutterbugs' Hall Of Fame Technique Group        (Topic#1482749)
sgoetter
Queen
sgoetter
In response to sgoetter

Another thing...when you have a layout with 3-D elements like the butterflies on my layout....it's best to take a photo of the layout rather than scan the layout.

When taking a photo of my layouts, I take it during the daytime, near a window/door with lots of natural light. This means no funny shadows like the blinds or the shadow of a lamp that the sun is behind....good bright natural light.

I place the layout on the floor. I have a black "project" board like the ones used for a science fair project....you know...the two sides fold in. I place the black project board on the floor in the natural light and place my layout on it. Then I stand and hold my camera direct above the layout and get as close as possible to the layout and still have it all in the picture. It's best NOT to zoom for this. Focus the photo and snap the pic.

I upload my photos to my computer and using Photoshop Elements 5, I "crop" the photo down to just the layout.

You don't have to have PSE5...any photo editing program that allows you to crop your photos will work.

Hope this helps...

2dogs
2dogs 
Queen
2dogs
  • 2dogs on 10-12-08 11:49 AM
In response to sgoetter

MERRY CHRISTMAS
By 2dogs
I DID IT!!! I'M SO PROUD OF MY BAD SELF!!! ON THIS LO I CHALKED THE EDGES WITH COLORBOX CHALKS, IN THE FLORAL DEPT. OF A CRAFT STORE I FOUND THESE FLORAL PICKS . I LUV 2 LOOK 4 THINGS 2 USE ON LOS THAT AREN'T IN A scrapbook store !!THE CUT OUTS ON THIS WHERE ON A SHEET OF PAPER & I JUST CUT OUT THE THINGS I WANTED 2 USE ON THIS LO.

Edited by 2dogs on 10-12-08 11:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Belle*
Belle* 
Angel
Belle*
In response to 2dogs

Susan I have to try taking a photo of my layouts, I'll try the way you say, just have to find something black or at least dark and solid. I always scan but I don't care for it with my lumpy layouts. The only layout I photographed, one of the "Jack and Grace" ones, looks horrid - if you see it it's colors are all off. I am going to find something try your way, I think I did two things you said not to - I used a flash and I zoomed in. Thanks for the advice!

PS I love that tearing you did on your layout, I think I will give that a shot next heritage I do!

Edited by Belle* on 10-12-08 04:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 10-12-08 04:43 PM
In response to Belle*

ohh ladies everyones info is sooo great!
I am looking forward to trying some heritage lo's and using some of the techniques !!!

phamil
phamil 
Governor
phamil
In response to Foamy

Hi ladies!!! Just wanted to check in and say "hello!" and let you all know that I was gone all week-end and just got back, so I have to unpack and get some things done, but I'll be here tomorrow!!! So nice to have this group and it's so nice to "see" everyone!!!

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug
In response to phamil

Hey girls, just checking in. So happy to see you here Susan and Patti! This is getting off to a really good start! Now Im off to do my homework, and see what you all have to say.

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug
In response to luciscraper

Deb, Im almost afraid to ask,but are these techniques you would use to do a digi? As I said, I really like how you've softened the outeredges and that frame around you and Mollie is sooo pretty!

phamil
phamil 
Governor
phamil
In response to Skrappy Shutterbug

Okay, here's my first set of tips, just a few tricks that I use from time to time, first here's the layout:
Family By Phamil
If you don't have a butterfly or dragonfly that you like, you can use a sticker. The butterfly here is an old K and Company one, I took it and put it on a transparency and cut it out, then folded each side up and attached it. You have a 3-D butterfly!!!

The second thing on this page that was really easy, if you have a chipboard title that isn't the right color, but has the right sentiment, first paint it with acrylic paint, then use some alcohol inks to get the colors that match!!! I did that with "family".

Last, for a different look I tore a piece of cardboard box, took the top layers off and painted it with acrylic paint, give a really cool textured look to you page!

Hope these are a few tips that you can use!!!

luciscraper
Angel
luciscraper
In response to phamil

amazing new tips, thanks girls

luciscraper
Angel
luciscraper

• Skrappy Shutterbug Said:
Deb, Im almost afraid to ask,but are these techniques you would use to do a digi? As I said, I really like how you've softened the outeredges and that frame around you and Mollie is sooo pretty!

Well I have soften the edges on a pic and printed it out also

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug
In response to Foamy

Lynne, this is so full of pretty colors and the butterfly is gorgeous! Your blending of ink trick is something I would sure use. TFS!

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug
In response to Belle*

Wow Belle, what a great explanation of your lo! When a person is looking at something like this in the gallery, all you can think of is how nice or pretty it looks, never really understanding the thought and work put into it to make it just right. You've done an amazing job with this, and those pictures are stunning! TFS!

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug
In response to sgoetter

OMG!! What a neat technique, you girls are just full of surprises aren't you? I plan on working on a Heritage album and this is one awesome way to add flair. Kepp them coming! I read your story about this pic. Too cute!

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug
In response to Belle*

I just want to comment on one more thing. I agree about the paper being such an important part of creating the type of lo you want. I did a heritage page on my Mom and stuggled with it for the longest time. I realized in the end, it was the paper I had in stock. Ended up having to go buy just the right one to be satisfied.

luciscraper
Angel
luciscraper

alot of times I take the pic with me and find just the right papers

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug
In response to 2dogs

Really like how the chalking makes the edges look worn and faded by time. Gotta love those black and whites! I have a ton of them. HEHE! The old fashioned Santas are a great addition to the overall lo.
When you add embellishments, such as the ones from the craft store, do you have trouble with your album not laying flat?

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug
In response to phamil

Patti, thks for those great tricks. Who would ever think of using a piece of cardboard box on your lo? Not me! I quess thats where having a good imagination comes in. HAHA!As for the 3d butterfly, I think if I ever try that one, I'll have to get back to you.

Skrappy Shutterbug
Guru
Skrappy Shutterbug

Can you elaborate on the frosting method if not doing digi?

luciscraper
Angel
luciscraper

It' hard to explain, but I'll try. I got a program from wal-mart and it lets me shade the edges of the pic's

bettylou1
Mayor
bettylou1

i dont know about Toni but i buy 3 ring 12x12 binders to hold my lo's. you almost have to. and i also cut about maybe i/4 inch off each of my los before i begin one to accomadate for all the bulk or else it dosent fit right in the clear sleeves,,

and i have a question! SUSAN..how do you use scissors to distress the edges of your lo?? i always just use the old tear it by hand..sounds interesting!
and TONI,,..dosent the chalk smear on your lo?? i use ink but it seems i go thru so much i am forever buying it! chalk sounds better! but the chalk i have smears?? oh! and what pp did you cut the b/w santas out of?? its adorable!!

thanks ladies! !

Edited by bettylou1 on 10-12-08 09:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 88 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics