Page 5 of 88 
Username Post: Skrappy Shutterbugs' Hall Of Fame Technique Group        (Topic#1482749)
anajul
anajul 
Diva
anajul
In response to Skrappy Shutterbug

OK, I'm going to try this. Here is a heritage layout I did that got a lot of comments:

I distressed the papers on this one by wetting the edges using a very wet Q-tip. Then using my fingers, I roll it toward the center until I have a very curly and partly torn edge. Then after it dries, using Tim Holtz ' walnut ink, and using an ink pad, I inked the edges all around. The postcard was a digital image printed on parchment paper. For the old-fashioned label, I did an image search on Google for "apple box labels" and found many!! The fabric is Aida cloth with frayed edges. The braided piece was part of an old string belt. And, of course, that red piece at the bottom was clipped from lovely Daisy D's paper! Pretty basic stuff!! Here's a website for labels: www.antiquelabelcompany.com

Edited by anajul on 10-16-08 09:44 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Belle*
Belle* 
Angel
Belle*
In response to anajul

This was one of my faves of yours Wanda!!! Thank you for the web site - very cool!!

anajul
anajul 
Diva
anajul
In response to Belle*

In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, I learned the paper-rolling technique from GrandmaSue!!

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 10-16-08 04:47 PM
In response to anajul

what a great idea using aida cloth! I know i have a bunch from all my started but never finished cross stitch projects! I think I even tea stained some aida. Great tip! tfs

LisaGregoryStarsailor
Diva
LisaGregoryStarsailor
In response to sgoetter

Thank you for inviting me to be a part of this outstanding group of incredible artists!! I am flattered. I hope to share some of my scrapping techniques with everyone, and add ideas to the wonderful world of scrapbooking!! I am humbled...Lisa

Proud member of ~~~MEMORIES TO LAST COF/CRITIQUE GROUP~~~

Edited by StarSailorScrapper on 10-17-08 07:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anderjackie
Governor
anderjackie
In response to Skrappy Shutterbug

Sunset
By Anderjackie

I am frequently asked how I can do so many LOs in such a short amount of time, and reading through the descriptions of all these very talented artists in this group the answer has become glaringly clear...I have no techniques! What to do? I promised to be a contributor, but I have nothing to contribute! So I went through my gallery and found the LO that has been the best received and will try and describe what I did and hope that suffices, though I think it is probably the stunning photo, taken by my BIL, that won it such acclaim!

I have a passion for paper, and one of my biggest challenges is that I hate covering up beautiful elements of the pp. One way that I have addressed this, especially with ds pp, when I have to choose which side to use (horror), is to cut out the element that would other-wise be hidden and add it to my design elsewhere. That is what I did with the postcard on this page. I also save the strips that I tear on ds pp and ink it and use the reverse side under the edges so that it looks like another layer. I'm all about economizing. Along that same line, I save the edges of the paper I cut circles out of and then use it as matting, just covering the blank space with pics or paper. I also save used chipboard punch outs for patterns. The flourish on this page was traced from CC "love notes" chipboard and then cut out.

Please feel free to ask me any questions. Like I said, I'm pretty basic. My LOs are mostly about pp, color, and embellie selection rather than technique.

luciscraper
Angel
luciscraper
In response to anderjackie

awesome ideals girls

LisaGregoryStarsailor
Diva
LisaGregoryStarsailor

Masterpiece
By StarSailorScrapper

A lot of scrappers thought that I had journaled on regular note paper. But not being sure that it was acid free, I was afraid to. So I made my own for this LO. I took a plain white cardstock, using a ruler , lined the paper across the page with a blue ZIG pen. Then from top to bottom at the right side, I drew a red line. I then took a Fiskars square hole punch I punched the squares along the edge, then went back and tore the holes open to make it look like it was torn out of a book.I then stamped and inked it. That was it. I now have a Zutter Bind it All that makes perfect size holes in a flash, but I like the small squares and also circles that the hole punches produce. With this technique there are many possibilities and for those who are totally acid and lignin free users, this is the way to go...Thats my tip of the day... Lisa

Belle*
Belle* 
Angel
Belle*

Jackie I feel the same -- I have no special techniques I use and was at a loss and did not know what to contribute to this wonderful thread. So I posted my favorite heritage layout and just explained the basics of how I put it together, and hope that works.

But see you never know what someone else will get from what you have written - I got a great tip out of what you posted here!!! I NEVER thought of keeping the edges I tear when I am distressing edges and using those strips under photos -- I looked closely at your layout and thought, why did I never think of that????? GREAT tip!!! I love your layouts and style and I'm so glad you are here!!

Belle*
Belle* 
Angel
Belle*
In response to LisaGregoryStarsailor

Lisa you did a remarkable job making that paper!!! Wow!

phamil
phamil 
Governor
phamil
In response to Foamy

I have a layout here that uses a few simple techniques:

I Wanna Be Like You By Phamil

First of all, lots of handcutting and pop-dots! Also, in the center of the big flower (it's really covered up) I used a clear acrylic circle, domed, and placed it on the matching pattern paper and cut around it, then inked around it. It makes a matching button. You can even punch tiny holes and thread fiber through it, I just didn't here. I also hand cut the leaves, cutting up the middle, gives them a different look, then inked and outlined them with glitter ink. Another small tip, when you use letter stickers that don't stand out as far as color, outline them with a shade darker pen, they will pop a little more. These are just some simple tips that I use over and over again. Hope you try one!

(I feel out of my league here too, awesome talent ladies!!!)

luciscraper
Angel
luciscraper
In response to phamil

here is a new one for me. I used about 4 different digi kits on this one, the black in the upper coner is black bling, you can make it as long as you want, and the flowerhas a metal brad in it

Monents lik this By Luci-scraper

Belle*
Belle* 
Angel
Belle*
In response to phamil

what a difference in the appearance of the leaves by the center cut -- wow!!! GREAT idea!! TFS!!

Belle*
Belle* 
Angel
Belle*
In response to Belle*

Here's a new one for me......I love to cut out stamped elements to add but didn't have stamps I liked for this, so this time I used rubons on scraps of my paper from the layout, and then cut THEM out.The flowers and the birds are rubons. I cut the vines and spikes from other scraps. Thank goodness for HoneyBee scissors......couldn't make these tiny cuts without them.

Family By Belle*

phamil
phamil 
Governor
phamil
In response to Belle*

Belle, I just love the softness of that page, the touch of pink embellies, it's just so pretty, you don't see lots of pink on heritage pages, but this works wonderfully!

Joy2scrapbook
Pro
Joy2scrapbook
In response to sgoetter

Long's Iris Farm By Joy2scrapbook

Hello everyone, I think I am a bit late in the game here. Working full time I don't scrap much during the week, so weekends are my joy. I thought I would use this LO to share a bit of my creative process. When I really don't have an end product in mind, but I want to use some specific paper I've purchased, or pictures I found, I really start by just doodling. I take a piece of paper and draw 4" boxes and just doodle pictures inside of them until I hit on something interesting. With the LO here I wanted to use multiple patterned pieces of coordinating paper in a single LO and I didn't necessarily want to layer them. So I started drawing pictures that I thought would allow the viewer to see a good example of each paper. When I decided on my design, I transferred by small drawing to a piece of white card stock. I numbered the sections in the drawing. Then I cut the card stock along the lines of my drawing to create a template for each of the patterned paper s. I placed each template on the back side of the patterned paper and traced around the edge. Then I cut the patterned paper carefully along my traced lines. Once I had each piece cut out I mounted them in the correct order on a piece of card stock. Now I had an interesting background. With this LO I wanted to do some stamping and I really wanted a crisp white stamped image. So, I used ColorBox white pigment ink and stamped the swirls. While the ink was still wet (this ink drys slow) I sprinkled some "detail white" embossing powder on top of the stamped images and heated. The result was a clean clear design. That just left placing my iris pictures which I matted to improve definition against the busy background. I added a title using QuicKutz alphabet dies and that finished the LO. Thanks for taking a look! ~~ Dolores
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by joy2scrapbook on 10-20-08 04:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

luciscraper
Angel
luciscraper
In response to Joy2scrapbook

Belle I never thought of cutting out my rub-ons, neat ideal

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 10-18-08 06:45 PM
In response to phamil

Great idea Of cutting the leaves up the middle & stunning lo!

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 10-18-08 06:47 PM
In response to Belle*

• Belle* Said:
Here's a new one for me......I love to cut out stamped elements to add but didn't have stamps I liked for this, so this time I used rubons on scraps of my paper from the layout, and then cut THEM out.The flowers and the birds are rubons. I cut the vines and spikes from other scraps. Thank goodness for HoneyBee scissors......couldn't make these tiny cuts without them.

Family By Belle*

This is just beautiful.. I have heard lots of good things about HoneyBee scissors. Perhaps I should think about getting those!

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 10-18-08 06:49 PM
In response to Joy2scrapbook

Dolores
YOur work is always so finished & polished! Very beautiful designed lo's

Edited by Foamy on 10-18-08 06:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 5 of 88 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics