Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Swirly doo hicky things        (Topic#1482797)
asunshyne21
Resident
asunshyne21

I have seen some beautiful lo's using these swirly looking things...ARe those stamps hand drawn. I love them and would love to experiment with some. Can you guys give me some pointers? Thanks so much for any help.

asunshyne21
Resident
asunshyne21
In response to asunshyne21

Are they clear acrylic stamps? If so, how do those work. I was reading somewhere where you have a clear block or something like that? Do you use the same kind of ink or special ink. It would really be nice if someone would help. Please help.

Edited by asunshyne21 on 10-12-08 01:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SplendidMoments
Governor
SplendidMoments

some are acrylic stamps... stamp them cut them out. any ink is good. Some of the swirls/flourishes are chipboard.. you can paint them with acrylic paint and add them to the layout. the cricut has carts with different things of the sort also. You can check out the scrapbook.com store and look up chipboard and you will see alot of choices and some leave pages they created using it. Another idea is they have rubons with them. Hope this helps.

-Robbie-
Mayor
-Robbie-
In response to SplendidMoments

For the acrylic stamps, you do need something to mount them on to stamp. You can use a cd case or something clear, but the acrylic blocks really do work best.

You can also use doodle templates to doodle with. YOu can find them here in the superstore. I just purchased my first and haven't tried it yet, but I hear they are great!

They also make some fabulous rub-on flourishes. Most of the major paper companies now make them. Just do a search.

Finally, some people do just doodle them. I'm not really good at that, so I tend to gravitate towards the ready make products!

Hope that helps some!

-Robbie-
Mayor
-Robbie-
In response to -Robbie-

Here are some examples.

asunshyne21
Resident
asunshyne21
In response to -Robbie-

Thanks so much for the help. I actually did order a rub on one and then the chipboard. I will let you know how it went. Thanks so much for the help~

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13

I have a swirls template that I bought at HL on sale for 3.99. It works pretty well. I paint with acrylic mostly but I have also used it to stitch with it.

mariposa326
Diva
mariposa326
In response to a_bowen13

I'm putting in another vote on the templates! I have the one below and thought it was really easy to use. The stamps, like mentioned earlier, are great, too. Rub-ons have a great effect, but I'm starting to buy more things that I can use over and over, get more for my money I bought some Rusty Pickle rub-ons, and loved the way they turned out!
Both LOs I used the templates and rub-ons on are in my gallery

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to mariposa326

I do my own doodle flourishes alot, clear stamp flourishes, or rub ons

i.love.chris
Veteran
i.love.chris
In response to SQ Mandi

I think im going to have to try these templates! They look like a lot of fun! What exactly do you use them with? Do you use ink pens or paint? I havn't tried stitching, that sounds like fun.

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13
In response to i.love.chris

• i.love.chris Said:
I think im going to have to try these templates! They look like a lot of fun! What exactly do you use them with? Do you use ink pens or paint? I havn't tried stitching, that sounds like fun.

I use acrylic paint you can buy at Walmart in the craft section. I also have used colored pencils and markers. It really just depends on what you like best.

mariposa326
Diva
mariposa326
In response to a_bowen13

I used colored pencil first on this one, then outlined with Stickles.

The Newleyweds at the Zoo! By Mariposa326

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to mariposa326

Don't forget you can turn them over and have a whole new set to work into pages! Hope this helps someone new!

I use them with chalks and outline with a embossing stylus the outer edge of the design and then fill in the area with a glaze pen or gel pen or the ones with glitter in the pen but sorry I forget their name. I have used them to emboss. Just depends on the thickness of the template. When they are thin and the embossing is just very slightly raised I use chalks to make it stand out.

Thank you for posting all those examples of the templates I have not seen all those that were available. I need to do some shopping! LOL

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13
In response to KITswpa

If you go to my gallery, you can see the 3 layouts that I used my swirl stencil on.

asunshyne21
Resident
asunshyne21
In response to a_bowen13

The swirly stencils or the chipboard can you trace on other paper and then cut out or do you stencil staight on your lo. Do any of you have a prefrence that you thinks looks better? Do you have pics of the different styles on your lo's? Thanks again for any info.

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13

I guess you could do whatever you felt like doing with the stencils and chipboard. I just usually always put it straight to the layout. It's honestly up to you.

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to a_bowen13

PRiLA I would never had thought to add the swirls to the ribbons like you did in "Best Friends" What a nice treatment. I really do like the swirls! I have seen them used so many ways on pages and each one is so clever! Good Job!

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13
In response to KITswpa

• KITswpa Said:
PRiLA I would never had thought to add the swirls to the ribbons like you did in "Best Friends" What a nice treatment. I really do like the swirls! I have seen them used so many ways on pages and each one is so clever! Good Job!

Thank you!!!

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13
In response to a_bowen13

Here is a layout I did tonight

Hayley
By A_bowen13

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to a_bowen13

PRiLA I really want to use them on my pages more. I think they soften some of the pages and add so much movement around the pages. I have liked them alot. At first I did not buy many templates but now there is so many it is going to be comfusing which ones I buy. Oh I might have to have them all!! I do use some old craft supples too to creat myown curves, swirls and vines. I use my French curve out of my drawing kit. But the ones I see done freehand are just as nice. Thanks for sharing that photo it really gave me some more ideas. I like the way you put them up over the embellishments. Very nice!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics