Username Post: supply list needed        (Topic#1483457)
TwilightHeart
New Kid On the Block
TwilightHeart

I am sorry if my last post was stated wrong. This time I really need to know what to buy please write a post below with a list of essentials that i need.

Thanks, neptuneizz

TwilightHeart
New Kid On the Block
TwilightHeart
In response to TwilightHeart

please

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond

If you go to the top of this page there is a getting started thread. In there you will find a link to the "essentials list". This really helped me, I hope it will help you as well.
-Jenn

TwilightHeart
New Kid On the Block
TwilightHeart
In response to Crazydiamond

ok thanjs but does any else have their own

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo

I just went and looked at the essentials list and it seems that it has been updated since last I've seen it. It is absolutely great and much easier to do product reference than it used to be.

That being said, are you looking for extras above and beyond this list (such as extra embellishments or tools) or do you just want specific recommendations on which of these products we like best? Specifying that would help us guide you better. You'll find (if you haven't already) that we do love to be helpful if we can.

Either way, I am thinking that since scrapbooking is such a personal thing... each of us with our own style and likes and dislikes - most of us here will tell you that checking out the gallery for inspiration on what types of products you might want to use would be a good first step. Layouts with stars below them will have a few items listed in the "products used category" to help your search even more. In addition, you can also check out specific products in the Superstore here. In the detailed product description pages there will be reviews made by members here. This detailed product page also allows you to see layouts that have used that very product. All of this has been very helpful for me. Hope it helps you.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to KatieJo

Also, are you scrapping anything specific at the moment? Children? Boys/Girls? Pets? Memorial Albums? Parents? All of the above eventually... This might also help us make more specific suggestions...

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to KatieJo

I never even knew that thread was there, but then again I've been scrapping for 10 years so I really don't need it.

I copied and pasted the list here, then removed the items I think aren't necessary (but can be added as you get more comfortable with scrapping).

Album
page protectors
Cardstock
Adhesives
Paper cutter
Scissors
Ruler
Black journaling pen

I always recommend new scrappers invest in an idea book or magazine subscription. A subscription is good because every month they have new ideas, techniques and layouts to check out.

I also advise new scrappers to NOT buy stuff just because it's pretty. Buy embellishments and paper only for the pictures you have on hand. If you buy for the sake of buying you're going to waste your money.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Judy_Scraps

If I were to just buy essentials off the list...

I would invest in

1. Album
2. page protectors (although post bound albums and some 2 rings already have these)
3. Cardstock - Bazzill is a good brand but I haven't found any I really don't like
4. Paper cutter (make sure it is 12")
5. Scissors - straigh - I like Cutter Bees
6. Ruler - clear is nice for seeing marks
7. White plastic eraser
8. Glue Eraser
9. Lettering/Fonts - I like Rub ons a lot (I am a huge fan of Making Memories ones), also
Thickers are very popular - blacks and whites are probably the most versatile
10. Black pens and colored markers (actually I prefer a writing marker for my journaling too) People here have also convinced me to purchase the Signo Uniball white pen for dark paper.
11. Grease pencil (again I prefer a marker made just for this purpose)
12. photo corners (clear are the most versatile - big ones can attach memorabilia as well - like invitations and programs and such if you would like to be able to remove them at a later date)

I don't use vellum much at all. The use of the exacto knife escapes me, and I am a clutz so that's a bad idea. The self-healing mat kind of goes with the exacto knife and other such cutting tools. And the tote is really only useful if you travel with your scrapbooking. I don't go to many crops and the like. So other types of storage are much preferred for me.

In addition, I like a small circle paper punch (use it a lot for all kinds of things... eyelet and brad placement, simple designs, Stickles placement guide, fiber threading, etc. etc.) and my Xyron sticker maker for easy application of small pieces of cardstock and the like.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by KatieJo on 10-19-08 07:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to KatieJo

Above is a great list! I am a simple scrapper. What I started with was:
cardstock
pattern paper
scissors
paper trimmer
glue/double sided tape
stacks of smaller paper for matting pictures
black pen
alphabet stickers
simple brads

I use some different things now, in addition to above:
colored ribbon & fibers
fancy brads and eyelets
paper piercer and floss for sewing
fiskar border punches
stickles
acrylic stamps: alphabets, journaling stamps, flowers, flourishes and of course ink.
white signo pen
colored pens for doodling

I don't have any fancy machines for cutting and I still have a alot of fun and have lots of variety!

TwilightHeart
New Kid On the Block
TwilightHeart
In response to Crazydiamond

thanks guys for all this info.
The kind of scrapbook i am making is a family memory one. Thanks for ur help again

Itry 
Tenant
  • Itry on 10-23-08 11:58 AM

Hi,
I’m sure you have plenty of information to help you.
Since you are working on a family album, maybe save is scraps of children’s favorite clothes or their special blankies. Maybe even a piece Grandpa’s ties or Grandma’s aprons.Sometimes we can’t save or hang on to the whole item. Adding a bit of the ‘real thing’ to a layout can mean a lot.
Happy scrapping!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

some free advice

Buyer Remorse seem to be a very common problem when it comes to supplies. There are several threads on "What not to buy" or "Your Worse Purchase". [The little sewing machine, wins the worse purchase hands-down.]

When you are first starting out really think about those expensive items (anything $5+). Will you use it for multiple pages? Will you even use it again after your first page?

Often there are ways to borrow tools, use toools at the Local Scrap Book Store, or at least try them out before buying them. Example: even when it comes to a simple pair of scissors, some you will like the feel in your hand, others you will not.

And think GREEN, buy used. maybe you can find an experience scrapper who can give you some hand-me-downs. Or try E-bay, look for scrapbook "lots". This is great way to get a bunch of tools, punches, etc. very inexpensively.

And think outside of the specially "Marketed for Scrapbooking" items. This is especially true when it comes to organizational things. Maybe all that you need is your kid's old pencil box not the fancy "scrapbook" marker holder for $30!

Ok getting off my soapbox before I get a nose bleed.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics