Username Post: i am a beginner        (Topic#1484267)
New Kid On the Block

What would a good place be to start buying my materials??

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to dinobabe4948

Here - by the way, welcome to the neighborhood.

Cracrop
Diva
Cracrop

I would say, Michaels (M's), or Hobby Lobby (HL). Also is you have a LSS maybe take a class or two. I hope this helps!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Cracrop

Thank you for the help..I am very much looking forward to getting some great ideas from everyone.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Mother Goose

Hello. And welcome to this site and to scrapbooking.

There's alot to learn but don't get overwhelmed. There's alot of help here too.

Beginning Scrapbookers - Scrappin' 101

and

New Users to Scrapbook dot com

Before buying anything, what do you like to scrap, what style? No use wasting time and money if you won't like the products and outcome.

I say go to crops and try out various tools and techniques and see what you like doing.

cheery scrap
Mayor
cheery scrap
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I'd buy a pack of paper that coordinates and usually the paper packs have die cuts and stickers already in the little kits.

Aumommie
Diva
Aumommie
In response to cheery scrap

I would pick some photos you want to scrap and start form there. I bought so much stuff in the beginning thinkingI would use it for my boys and ended up giving most of it away because it didn't go with my photos.

As for as stuff
Good scissors
a pack of colored and/pattern paper you like
adhesive ( I like Glue Dots or Zots)
maybe some chip board letters
Paper trimmer ( I can't cut a straight line to save my life)

flightgirl
Veteran
flightgirl
In response to Aumommie

Hobby lobby all the way if you have one near you, wait for a 50% off sale. Oh yes, and read the above posts before you go crazy buying stuff. It's so easy to go overboard!

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_

a local craft store like micheal's or joann's or hobby lobby is a good place to start. invest in good tools that you will use over and over again. like good scissors (cutterbee, or w/e you favor), a good paper trimmer (i like the cricut trimmer, but again, it's a matter of preference), and adhesive. i have a small kit i couldn't do without by Making Memories that has a small metal ruler, stylus, paper piecer, and exacto knife in it...but need of that kit varies by crafting needs. a big tip of mine is think about what you buy, ask yourself, "will i ever use this?"..it sounds silly but is a common mistake even the most experienced scrapbooker makes. the evil overbuying of unneeded things. lol. a rookie mistake i made (other than over buying) was just settling with an embelishment or piece of paper that was not to my 100% liking. if you don't like it, then don't force yourself to use it...just wait until you find something better. when it comes to paper, i find stacks/slabs really useful. i always buy them on sale for around $10 and love them. they work great with my high volume of photos. just look at the papers in the pack and make sure you will actually be able to use them.

Cupcakes for Chloe
Pro
Cupcakes for Chloe
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

As far as a place to buy materials, that varies by your budget. You can buy from here, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Big Lots, Local scrapbook store s, and places online like customcrops.com and craftsetc.com or even eBay. There are so many places to buy from just do a search for scrapbook supplies and look at the results. But one word of advice, if the website looks a little "iffy", ask on here if anybody has shopped with them before. Seeing as there are so many people here from all over the world with different budgets and tastes, chances are someone has! So its so long but good luck and Welcome to Scrappin!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics