Page 1 of 6 
Username Post: Slice from Making Memories        (Topic#1484513)
StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia

I´ve just heard of this new little portable cutter machine "Slice" have you tried it yet? And what did you think about it?

Is it worth the money.... and so on...
Tell me all you know!
Products Referenced in This Post:

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to StrawberryPia

I don't know, but I really like the look of it in the product video in the videos tab above - looks great!

skarletbegonias
Guru
skarletbegonias
In response to SuperAllyFan

I don't have any advice, but I really like how it looks. I have a Cricut and a Cuttlebug so I'm debating on putting it on my Christmas list. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to skarletbegonias

I am a Slice lover, but I have to wait until Christmas to get one. I love the designs. I love that the design cards are only $35, not $75-$100 like Cricut cartridges. I loved the idea of machines that you use with your computer instead of with cartridges, but then I decided I am way too lazy to design every shape! If I had the funds though, I'd definitely buy a Wishblade or Silhouette before anything else.

I also love how compact it is. I am interested in the blade: right now it cuts only thin materials but I think with time, deeper, sharper blades will be developed so that it can cut felt and chipboard. It cuts between 1" and 4", which is more than enough for me (I am easy to please-- of course I'd like to make my own 12x12 die cut papers, but I am not paying $400 and $70 per cartridge for an Expression).

I like that the Slice can cut on even a sliver of paper, and that it's easy to cut photos or perfectly place a die cut on a certain part of patterned paper . And did I mention I like the price? $150 for the machine is steep, but I think sales will payoff. Cartridges are $35-$40, but again, I think that sales will come in handy. Because the Slice is not as pricey as the Cricut, I don't expect coupon exemptions.

LaRu 
New Kid On the Block
  • LaRu on 10-29-08 03:39 PM
In response to annoniemous

Oh the Slice is fun! I have the Cricut Expression (courtesy of a hubby who likes toys AND will occasionally scrapbook with me) and Sunday night we went over to my fave s'book store where he saw the Slice (which I had already told myself "no" on) but like I said, he likes toys, so he bought it for me.

It's downfall is that it can only cut little things but not as little as the Exp. can.

The big bonus for it is that I can cut very precisely in the middle of a page and cut on smaller pages than the Exp. YEA! Use up all those scraps from that are left behind by the Exp.

Still figuring it all out, but so very light, easy to use, compact, and best of all - CORDLESS. The lower cost is definitely nice and I like the glass cutting boards.

I'm using it mostly with the Exp. as a supplement right now in my cardmaking frenzy. It is helping cut down the time for some of the making as I can use it while the Exp does it's thang.

JoJorenee
Queen
JoJorenee

• saquartey Said:
I am a Slice lover, but I have to wait until Christmas to get one. I love the designs. I love that the design cards are only $35, not $75-$100 like Cricut cartridges. I loved the idea of machines that you use with your computer instead of with cartridges, but then I decided I am way too lazy to design every shape! If I had the funds though, I'd definitely buy a Wishblade or Silhouette before anything else.

I also love how compact it is. I am interested in the blade: right now it cuts only thin materials but I think with time, deeper, sharper blades will be developed so that it can cut felt and chipboard. It cuts between 1" and 4", which is more than enough for me (I am easy to please-- of course I'd like to make my own 12x12 die cut papers, but I am not paying $400 and $70 per cartridge for an Expression).

I like that the Slice can cut on even a sliver of paper, and that it's easy to cut photos or perfectly place a die cut on a certain part of patterned paper . And did I mention I like the price? $150 for the machine is steep, but I think sales will payoff. Cartridges are $35-$40, but again, I think that sales will come in handy. Because the Slice is not as pricey as the Cricut, I don't expect coupon exemptions.

I can't bear to do it (buy one of the expensive ones)either honey!

Edited by JoJorenee on 10-29-08 05:41 PM. Reason for edit: better explaination of what I meant

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to JoJorenee

So far I have only good things about it. I have heard people have already found it on sale. Does anyone know if it is selling at Joann's, A.C. Moore, or Michael's?

hdsue
hdsue 
Guru
hdsue
  • hdsue on 10-31-08 06:19 PM

you can use the archievers 30% off on the chips but not on the machine...prob wont last long either..ive been thinking of getting this myself until my sister starting asking if i have a retirement fund lol...she has a point...but i wont ponder it for long see how it goes maybe after Christmas

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to hdsue

The product demo videos are looking very good. It is portable, and can cut anywhere on the paper. And I love the MM noteworthy line. The fact that it only cuts up to 4 inches is not really an issue for me because that's usually how much journaling space I have left on my LO...

I am hoping to go to one of the LSS and watch a demo IRL.

I would love to hear from any of the Slice owners too.....

Ms.CRKS
Diva
Ms.CRKS
In response to jellyziva

I just tried mine out tonight and I *LOVE* it! Super easy to use and it didnt take that long to cut.

I did ruin the mat though because I didnt re-read the directions before I started. I had read them earlier in the night but when I sat down to use it, DH was more excited than me...LOL So I rushed and got my sheet of paper stuck to the mat.

Seriously stuck. You're supposed to let the repositionable glue dry for 2 minutes before putting the paper down and I put the paper on right away. By the time it got done cutting my image, the paper was not coming up. DH said hes going to take a razor blade to it but I have a feeling I'm gonna need to replace it. I'm waiting for the 12x12 mat to come out anyway...now I'll have an excuse to buy it.

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to Ms.CRKS

Thanks for all the info!! I haven´t seen it here in Sweden yet, my lss will order it and I wanted to be a bit prepared (I´m their DT) and maybe have som advise before we get it over here!

If anyone has anything more to add please do so!

Rusha
Rusha 
Diva
Rusha
  • Rusha on 11-07-08 06:29 AM

I don't own a slice but I work at a LSS that has one. We just got it in 2 weeks ago. So I have used it a few times, and here are my pros and cons.

PROS
- It is portable and lightweight
- Easy to use
- Digital makes it easy to select things and see what you are choosing.
- You never have to replace the cutting mat
- The cutting mat is available in two sizes.
- No cutting to fit the mat required
- You do not have to use the adhesive spray all of the time
- In the future you will be able to create your own designs for this product

CONS
- Only cuts up to 4 inches
- Not really made for thicker cardstock
- The blades can easily bend if you are not careful
- You have to hold it firmly in place just right or it will not cut properly
- It cuts very slowly, especially the larger sizes
- The inital cost is quite high.

Hope that helps a little bit!

skarletbegonias
Guru
skarletbegonias
In response to Rusha

That helps me! I think I'm going to wait on it for a little while. TFS!

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to Rusha

• Rusha Said:
I don't own a slice but I work at a LSS that has one. We just got it in 2 weeks ago. So I have used it a few times, and here are my pros and cons.

PROS
- It is portable and lightweight
- Easy to use
- Digital makes it easy to select things and see what you are choosing.
- You never have to replace the cutting mat
- The cutting mat is available in two sizes.
- No cutting to fit the mat required
- You do not have to use the adhesive spray all of the time
- In the future you will be able to create your own designs for this product

CONS
- Only cuts up to 4 inches
- Not really made for thicker cardstock
- The blades can easily bend if you are not careful
- You have to hold it firmly in place just right or it will not cut properly
- It cuts very slowly, especially the larger sizes
- The inital cost is quite high.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Thank you! This will be very helpful!

scrapin_nurse
Veteran
scrapin_nurse

I bought a slice about 2 weeks ago and so far I love it. I already bought another card to go with it- the basics 2 and their are sooo many cute designs.
The price is a little out there but I was wanting a nice die cut machine that gave me a lot of options and wasn't as expensive as the cricut- and this seems to be the winner. and when I bought it there was a rebate form you could send in to get a free slice design card. so see if your local store is doing that as well.

Some of the cons is that at the smallest setting- not all letters and shapes seem to be cut well. especially the little holes at the end of tags and such. Also, learning to adjust the blade can be a pain. The first night i had mine it stopped cutting after about 45 minutes. at first i thought the blade had already become dull, but changing that didn't help, finally after a while I figured out how to change to blade pressure and it cuts fine again.

however I recommend it!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to scrapin_nurse

This thing is adorable.

If adjusting the blade isn't doing it, for thicker stuff, send it for a 2nd cut. Don't move it, don't breathe on it too hard :biggrin - just push the start button again!

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to Megan - ForumTech

ok! I´ll try not to breathe!!

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous

I am curious if anyone has examples using the Slice? I'd love to see the layouts and cards you've made.

How many days until Christmas? Ho hum.

Kate the Great
Expert
Kate the Great

I ordered the slice off of ebay I paid 120 dollars for it! I havnt gotten it yet but I cant wait for it to get here! I have heard many good things about it, I know right now a.c moore and michaels does not have the slice or any of the products to go with it, I went to hobby lobby this past weekend and they were starting to get the products in, and as of right now you can use to 40% off coupon! (which is always a plus) I think they had the 12x12 mat, the carry case, and the spatchula and adhesive

Andrew_P
Tenant
Andrew_P

You can view videos of this product in use by going here: http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/
Products Referenced in This Post:

Page 1 of 6 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics