Username Post: Monocromatic?        (Topic#1484939)
StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia

I am participating in a CC this weekend. I have now ended up in a disussion about monocromatic and what it really is....

The question is... do you consider red and pink as monocromatic?
And another example: is yellow and orange monocromatic?

I thought they were, but now I´m a bit confused.... what do you think?

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to StrawberryPia

I think pink and red are monochromatic.

Here's another Bazzil pack with both red and pink in it. I don't think yellow & orange are monochromatic.

Products Referenced in This Post:

JHAWKEYE
Mayor
JHAWKEYE

My thoughts...unscientific as they are...

If you take a color, and mix it with either black or white, whatever color combination you come up with makes that color a monocromatic color of the original.

So...if you take red...and mix it with black to get a rust color, or mix it with white to get pink, then everything from rust to pink would be in the red monocromatic family.

Mixing yellow and blue to get green doesn't make green a monocromatic color of either yellow or blue, the mix must be one color and either black or white.

Since yellow is a primary color, and orange is a secondary color, they would not be considered monocromatic.

Again...just my interpretation.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to JHAWKEYE

like kate said....monochomatic is what ever shades come from darkening or lightening it with shades (black and white)

since you can't make orange into yellow (yellow + red = orange) it's not monochromatic.

same with green (it's a mix of 2 different colors so it's not mono)

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to JHAWKEYE

I think I´m with you Kate! Orange and yellow aren´t monocromatic but pink and red is!

The question appeared when I saw the colours that you could choose from it was: blue, green, yellow, pink and red!
And I immediately asked if red and pink is monocromatic! But they wanted it to be all in one colour... I won´t participate in the challenge because I became very confused!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen

I agree with the above posts. monochromatic is when you lighten or darken the colour, so yes, pink and red are monochromatic. Orange and yellow are not.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics