Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Adhesive Tape Runners -- What's Best Value?        (Topic#1486299)
New Kid On the Block

Hi -

Hoping for some imput from value-minded scrappers.

I love Glue Dots for photos and embellishments, but a lot of the time, I need a runner for those long edges on cardstock. And when I'm working on a big project (signs for kid's school projects, etc.) there's nothing like a runner.

I always run out sooner than I expect. What permanent 2-sided runners give best bang (length) for the buck? I'm thinking the Duck brand in the multipack. Anything more budget friendly?

Right now, I'm looking at two (count 'em, two) empty runners on a single project. Don't talk me into glue sticks, I want a cheap runner.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to fragileindustries

The ATG guns. They are pricey but well worth it and is cheaper in the long run. Actually easier on my hands/wrists. I've got the beginnings of carpal tunnel and the guns is better for me.

I used to use the Duck Easy Sticks. I'd buy them in the 4 pack for around $9. This is equal to ONE roll of ATG tape which cost me about $3.

My first order of ATG was the gun and 24 refill. With shipping it was $72 which made the cost of each roll at $3. Prices have gone up on both the gun and tapes but it's still cheaper.

Plus after 10 refills it was like free if I'd have been paying for the other adhesive.

Also, I only broke one roll of the dozens I've used. I just rethreaded it and kept on going. I can not tell you how many Easy Sticks I've broken over the past 2-3 years. I never trashed these but they were aggravating to use once broken.

gmanscrap
Veteran
gmanscrap
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I HATE

gmanscrap
Veteran
gmanscrap
In response to gmanscrap

ok....let me try this again....I HATE the small adhesive runners. I usually run out in less than one crop, and I don't overuse. I've been doing my research and I'm ready to by my ATG.

New Kid On the Block
In response to gmanscrap

Yow! You're right, it isn't cheap, but it sounds like you both did your homework. Now, about refills -- are they easy? I tried the Hema/Vario whatever they call it now, and I am reduced to tears trying to thread it. And after I posted my question, gmanscrap, my last (and third on a single big project -- 2'x3' poster) disposable runner gummed up and refused to run 1/2way thru. That's like $6 for one project! So yes, something sturdy AND easy ... talk me thru this please ...

skybluepink
Veteran
skybluepink

It is easy to load the ATG guns. You still need to thread them to a point but its a lot easier than the Herma fix. There is also a video you can download from 3M's website that shows you step by step to do it.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 11-15-08 05:12 AM
In response to skybluepink

I JUST purchased the above reference ATG Gun from here the other day and I waiting, quite anxiously for it to arrive. I have and read nothing but GREAT things about it!!! The initial purchase is pricey, I think I spent about $80, but I I bought 2 things of adhesive, plus the gun.

Crystal B.
Diva
Crystal B.
In response to KimKV

I use the Adtech ones from Wally World...the original runner w/ one refill is $4.27 and then a pack of 2 refills is $2.27. I haven't had any problems--no gumming up or anything like that, and it is SUPER easy to load the refill.

Otherwise try using a 40% off coupon at M's or HL or getting them at one of those places when they are 50% off.

Edited by Livn4change on 11-15-08 05:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dixiecorngirl
Governor
dixiecorngirl

• Vivian loves BLING Said:
The ATG guns. They are pricey but well worth it and is cheaper in the long run. Actually easier on my hands/wrists. I've got the beginnings of carpal tunnel and the guns is better for me.

I used to use the Duck Easy Sticks. I'd buy them in the 4 pack for around $9. This is equal to ONE roll of ATG tape which cost me about $3.

My first order of ATG was the gun and 24 refill. With shipping it was $72 which made the cost of each roll at $3. Prices have gone up on both the gun and tapes but it's still cheaper.

Plus after 10 refills it was like free if I'd have been paying for the other adhesive.

Also, I only broke one roll of the dozens I've used. I just rethreaded it and kept on going. I can not tell you how many Easy Sticks I've broken over the past 2-3 years. I never trashed these but they were aggravating to use once broken.

YES!!YES!!YES!!YES!!YES!! YES!! i love mine and do not know how i ever lived without it. I can do about 50-75 layouts going heavy on the tape with my ATG gun! it is priceless in what it can do for you!~

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to Crystal B.

• Livn4change Said:
I use the Adtech ones from Wally World...the original runner w/ one refill is $4.27 and then a pack of 2 refills is $2.27. I haven't had any problems--no gumming up or anything like that, and it is SUPER easy to load the refill.

Otherwise try using a 40% off coupon at M's or HL or getting them at one of those places when they are 50% off.

I use the same ones and agree with you...I've had no problem with it gumming and is very easy to change the refills.

I do eventually want to get the ATG, but for now this works fine. Maybe I'll put the ATG on my Santa's wish list.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to Patti Sylvia

Like another poster, I love my Adtech runner from Walmart. You get two refills for $2.27 and it's been over a year since I replaced the runner itself, which was $4.27 and included some tape. The roll lasts a reasonable amount of time, especially considering that I tape every side of my objects. This isn't because the tape isn't sticky enough-- it's because that's the way I like it. You could just tape the corners if that's your style. I even use it to hold down chipboard and other bulky embellishments.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

i just gave up and got my type runner. Tombo mono. but it's going very fast..... i guess i'll stick to my rubber cement glue- which is cheap and avilable here without shipping....

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 11-15-08 10:11 AM

for long edges - really any paper to paper bonding I use my Fabritac liquid...doesn't warp, is fast,easym and cheaper...the only thing I do use my duck runners for is the back of my pictures.

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ

• fragileindustries Said:
Hi -

Hoping for some imput from value-minded scrappers.

I love Glue Dots for photos and embellishments, but a lot of the time, I need a runner for those long edges on cardstock. And when I'm working on a big project (signs for kid's school projects, etc.) there's nothing like a runner.

I always run out sooner than I expect. What permanent 2-sided runners give best bang (length) for the buck? I'm thinking the Duck brand in the multipack. Anything more budget friendly?

Right now, I'm looking at two (count 'em, two) empty runners on a single project. Don't talk me into glue sticks, I want a cheap runner.

Are you actually using the runner all the way up and down the sides of the paper?
Using it just on the corners and a couple lines in the middle is ample. That will save you ALOT of product waste.

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to DawnInAZ

OH and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Creative Memories tape runner from my favorite CM rep-SticklesQueenMoxie!!

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to DawnInAZ

Another vote here for ATG. I LOVE mine. I'm one of those who likes to run tape along all the edges of everything, but I can still go through a stack of layouts before I have to change tape rolls.

As an aside, I ordered some ATG tape from a place called TapeDepot- 24 1/4" wide rolls (36 yards) for $36 shipped. It's not marked acid free, but someone on splitcoast tested it with a pH pen and it was AF (and TapeDepot has an evilBay storefront and they do list the tape there as AF). I'm going to get my own pH pen and test it, as well. At the very least I'll use it when I wrap Christmas gifts and make cards.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to scrappyJedi

Melissa, I talked to Scotch directly through emails about their non-GOLD brands of adhesives for the guns. I was told without any doubt that anything not marked as GOLD, which are acid free, will turn yellow over time. So just beware of that. I bought some by mistake. Kept a box for other projects that being acid free isn't so critical for.

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi

Viv,

Thanks for the warning. This stuff isn't Scotch brand- it's TapeDepot's house brand. I'm going to do some tests with it, but probably hold off from using it on anything critical. I can always use cheap adhesive for other things, though.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to scrappyJedi

Like I do with my non-Stickles glitter glues. I don't worry about putting Stickles directly onto to photos but not the other brands, just to be on the safe side.

So TapeDepot's will fit in the ATGs?

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi

Yes, the 1/4" will fit my ATG 714. The slots on the center are wider than the ones on the Scotch rolls, but it's working just fine. I think I need to get a second gun for the "non-Gold" adhesive. LOL!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics