Username Post: How can I make my own        (Topic#1487531)
New Kid On the Block

I would like to make my own army embellishment for scrapbooking how do we do that any tip's.Please help me Carmelle

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to scapeas

which type: Dog tags, tank, rank ????

It's probably easier to buy them as nothing is 'simple' in army designs.

You could just use actual army patches....i'm doing that for my husbands book

Edited by GTGW on 11-27-08 08:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to Just G

Good advice!!! You can also fall back on Old Glory = red, white and blue is available in many embellishments, and a simple ribbon border is very effective. You can do a beaded type of flag (instructions googled) or do an applique effect. Oh I guess that's paperpiecing! I have a tshirt with stripes made of red on white, and white w/red flowers and strawberries, and a blue field with white flowers that is so neat - patriotic colors in a country design. Maybe not good for the purist, but I've had people stop me and say can I take a picture of that shirt? I've tried to make a 12x12 paper design using this pattern but can't seem to work it out so photos can be seen.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to okiegrandma

I did an army album for my dad and most of the embellies in it were scans or photos of his actual items. Feel free to peek at it in my gallery if you'd like. It took me over 2 years to complete with all of the research.

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

ScrapCams
Expert
ScrapCams
In response to Shutterbugg

Those are great!! And what an idea!! TFS

Also buying a die cut machine where u can draw/create your own is a great thing too.. like the pazzles... I have a machine just like it but it is from canada and called a SignMax and love it.. very expensive.. but well work it.. and it takes time...
Products Referenced in This Post:

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to ScrapCams

Most of the military ranks and ribbons are very easy to replicate. First just find what you are looking for on the internet.. I am an USAF wife and have used many military sights to print embellishments off of or to find a picture to reference to create my own. I have not uploaded any of my stuff to this sight for that album since I have not worked on it for a while but I can get some photos tonight put together of some examples. I have done. Might spark some ideas for ya. If you have access to a post you can go to the thrift shop there and find all kinds of old ranks or metals and other patches you can use for embellishments... just be warned they are not acid free so be careful where you put them or how you treat them before attaching them to your page.

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 12-07-08 09:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to Hanging By a Moment

Ok here are some of my photos of a few of my home made USAF symbols.

This one is the easier of the two. Take the logo off the internet... make as many copies as there are colors in the logo. One big outline for the main shape and the others for the secondary colors. Then just cut out each color shapes and layer on.

USAF Logo
By Hanging By A Moment

This one was a nightmare. took me 4 hours to complete. The positive and negative space was very confusing to work with and I even made a wrong cut at one point. The mirror paper is terrible for fingerprints and adhesive residue. I just re-cleaned it before taking this photo took me about 15 min to get all the little pieces shiny again. Only the truly ambitious people should try this. Plus taking a photo of a mirrored paper .. you can see your self and the camera... Xyron was my friend as well as Mr. Exacto. Though I do love the end result. This is the USAF Logo and his graduating rank from Basic.

A1C Lauer {detail}
By Hanging By A Moment

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 12-08-08 02:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to Shutterbugg

Shutterbugg - These LOs are great ty for shareing the album with us. I love what you did there to document the deploymenst and bases/posts. Great Job!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics