Username Post: Scrapbooking a Study Abroad Experience        (Topic#1489227)
New Kid On the Block

Okay, so I went abroad to southern Spain for 5 weeks last summer and I've been trying to capture it all since then. I've already had to buy a second book because all my pages wouldn't fit. I'm disheartened because it's starting to look repetitive and boring. Any ideas for spicing it up and getting through it? Also, I've noticed that stores seem to have very little scrapbooking supplies with a Spanish theme!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to essbee18

If it was me, just remembering from living there a very long time ago, I'd use a lot of black and red and lace.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to NMlady

You might want to start off with a google search for scrapbook supplies with a travel or vacation theme You should be able to find Spanish stuff somewhere on the web.

I did an album for my daughter and sil's trip to Italy. I had some generic travel/vacation papers, stickers and other embellishments, but I had quite a few specifically for Italy, but I had been searching for a while before they went on the trip. I picked up some wine designs and some religious designs because of some of the activities and tours they took. You might want to use designs on some pages about the activities you participated in besides those specific to the country, like food or sports. I used red, green and white cardstock on several pages because that's the colors of the Italian flag.

Hope this helps a little. Have fun reliving your wonderful experience!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to johnsusan8

remember you don't have to use ALL of your photos. Just use the ones that capture each moment the best and tell the story through journaling.

And you can do hidden journaling as well.

Use picture holders in the back of the book to hold all the pictures that you don't put on pages
I did this for my Disney Album

Edited by GTGW on 12-16-08 04:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Just G

also you can use some of the misc photos in titles by tracing letters on them or using a cricut, etc. I did that for my Canada album

Scenes from Canada
By GTGW

Edited by GTGW on 12-16-08 04:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to Just G

I think having 2 scrapbooks is great! It sounds like a once in a lifetime experience, so I say do as many scrapbooks as it takes!

One way to add a little variety is to be creative on your journaling - journal in a circle, or around photos, or sideways on the page.

I think that albums like this with a lot of interesting photos don't really require a lot of foo foo or bling, the photos tell the story and you don't want to overpower them. I'm sure you will treasure these albums when they are finished!

New Kid On the Block
In response to essbee18

I am in india right now and coming back soon, so i have started looking at ways to do it (i was here with a program in the south so i didn't see places like the tajmahal or any of the regular indian tourist places.

My plan is to use pictures of flowers, buildings, architecture etc as embellishments and treat them like stickers, usign pop dots and different treatments to make them more like a "normal" embellishment

Resident
In response to essbee18

I'll pm you a website that specializes in travel and sports scrapbooking items.

momany
momany 
Idol
momany
In response to oilbrat

I agree with the advice to release yourself from scrapping every picture.
Start with the stories. What do you want to remember about your time there? Make the story center stage with the suggested creative journaling then use pictures to help tell the story.
My travel pages get boring when I work from the pictures instead of from the story/experience.
i.e.: "This is another building we saw. It was beautiful." HTH!

New Kid On the Block
In response to momany

Thanks everyone! Your suggestions were great. I've finished two pages and they are some of my favorites! I'll try to post a pic later

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics