Username Post: The Great Ice Storm of '08        (Topic#1489393)
scrappincgwife
Idol
scrappincgwife

I've been MIA because I've been without power since late Thursday night through yesterday! Gotta love new england! But, I took lots of pics, so at least I can scrap it! LOL

Jojo Noons
Mayor
Jojo Noons
In response to scrappincgwife

Same here!! I took some pics and posted a couple in my gallery. Wasn't fun...watch out for Friday and Sunday...snow storms coming...at least it's not ICE!!!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to Jojo Noons

Wow -this is a great thing to know!!

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to SuperAllyFan

I guess I shouldn't complain about the in the negatives windchills and temps barely above zero. Be careful out there... with ice under that snow, it wreaks havoc. Happened out here last week. The stuff they use to deice the roads didn't work cuz it was too cold. Hopefully, you aren't getting our subzero temps and nasty windchills!
...it's gonna be a long winter...

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca
In response to SuperAllyFan

I'm going out today to continue replacing the food we lost...hopefully tomorrow will just be snow, which usually isn't a problem since we can just hunker down.

Hunkering down in the dark isn't quite as much fun.

sassy101
Diva
sassy101
In response to Bellanca

I am here in Illinois and we are under a snow advisory for today through tom marrow.

stephyirene
Veteran
stephyirene
In response to sassy101

We were supposed to get freezing rain yesterday and last night, but it missed us. We just have freezing fog this morning. The roads were clear, though. The frost on the trees was beautiful this morning. I got a few pics, but it was still too dark for them to turn out well. I got a couple of the fence here at school, too. I think people must think I am nuts! It is supposed to be nice tomorrow and then nasty again this weekend. So maybe we have a chance for a White Christmas this year after all!

sankie1987
Pro
sankie1987
In response to stephyirene

we are suppota get the rain and snow tonight and tomrw in il im a little worried about it cuz we still need to go to the store lol but i think itll be ok but its going to snow on christmas eve!!! im so excited

scrappincgwife
Idol
scrappincgwife

We got 3-ish inches of snow yesterday. Supposed to get a couple more Friday night. Then a Nor'easter Sunday and Monday, followed by more snow Tues-Thurs! Sounds fun! LOL Hope Santa has Rudolph ready to go this year!

mustangkayla
Guru
mustangkayla

Since we live out in po-dunk country we only get the big city news (big city as in 2 1/2 hours away in normal weather). They have had news on from early am to at least 10 or 11!

kirasmommy
Guru
kirasmommy
In response to mustangkayla

Glad you finally got your power back on. I do hope that we don't lose it again during either one of these coming storms. Good luck and happy holidays!!

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to kirasmommy

I hate losing power!! Sorry you had to go thru that.

nallian
Expert
nallian
In response to DivaDana

We received an inch of ice and a little snow on Monday evening. This has just about shut this side of my state down. We have been out of school for three days.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to nallian

I'm in Western Mass. but lucky for us we completely escaped the ice. We got nothing but rain during that big storm last week. We're not going to be so lucky tomorrow. We're supposed to get hit with 6-12" of snow. Happy Birthday to me.

forever_and_always
Expert
forever_and_always
In response to Judy_Scraps

wow! we live in western washington, and have been under snow advisory with ice and snow for the past week! and it is supposed to continue this way until next wednesday... then it is supposed to rain. gotta love WA!

scrappincgwife
Idol
scrappincgwife

• judyQ Said:
I'm in Western Mass. but lucky for us we completely escaped the ice. We got nothing but rain during that big storm last week. We're not going to be so lucky tomorrow. We're supposed to get hit with 6-12" of snow. Happy Birthday to me.

Happy Birthday!

I think that's the same system headed our way Fri night. We're in southern Maine

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady

Ours was out all day last Friday, then it went out again for about 3-4 hours on Monday. I consider us lucky!

Jojo Noons
Mayor
Jojo Noons

• judyQ Said:

I'm in Central Mass...just south of Worcester...We got slammed!!!! Hubby's wrok office is in Western Mass..and they thought he was kidding about our damage and our situation of being without power and all. When they called him the second time and he relayed the damage to them over the phone of downed trees and powerlines they couldn't believe it...They then started watching the news and then realized just how bad it really was here. My dd went back to school yesterday, we got power back late tues. afternoon. Many in N.H. and as close as 20 miles north of here are still w/o power and the schools will be closed throughout the Holidays.

Yep...I'm a little gun-shy about loosing the power again with all the snow storms headed our way...Fri. 8 to 10+, Sunday into Monday another one and now they're talking another Christmas Eve!!!

KatyKatsMama
Pro
KatyKatsMama

We just got 4 inches on Tuesday & are expecting about a foot of snow tonight mixed with an ice storm (expecting thunder, etc!). Hard to believe we're only halfway thru December isn't it??

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to KatyKatsMama

We're in Upstate NY and we lost our power Thurs nite and didn't get it back until Sunday nite. But I know people still without power and few that got their's back yesterday. Yikes. We had snow Tues/Wed, but only about 1 1/2 inches. We're due to get 6-12" tomorrow, more Sun/Mon, and then another storm next Wed. I guess it'll be a white Christmas, but I hope we don't lose our power again. Very stressful, to say the least! Though I must add that I was able to get some spectacular photos!

Edited by ASiverson on 12-18-08 11:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

• jojo noons Said:
  • judyQ Said:

I'm in Central Mass...just south of Worcester...We got slammed!!!! Hubby's wrok office is in Western Mass..and they thought he was kidding about our damage and our situation of being without power and all. When they called him the second time and he relayed the damage to them over the phone of downed trees and powerlines they couldn't believe it...They then started watching the news and then realized just how bad it really was here. My dd went back to school yesterday, we got power back late tues. afternoon. Many in N.H. and as close as 20 miles north of here are still w/o power and the schools will be closed throughout the Holidays.

Yep...I'm a little gun-shy about loosing the power again with all the snow storms headed our way...Fri. 8 to 10+, Sunday into Monday another one and now they're talking another Christmas Eve!!!

I'm in Palmer, not far from some of the towns that were hit really hard. A few people I work with live in the Warren area and they either lost power themselves for a short time or know people who are still without it. It was such a strange storm. It seems my area was literally in the center of it where it stayed warm enough to give us nothing but rain. I consider us very lucky. This morning while I was driving DD to school we saw about 10 electric co. trucks in a row driving north. I figured they were heading out to do more repair work before tomorrow's storm hits.

Jojo Noons
Mayor
Jojo Noons

• judyQ Said:
  • jojo noons Said:
  • judyQ Said:

I'm in Palmer, not far from some of the towns that were hit really hard. A few people I work with live in the Warren area and they either lost power themselves for a short time or know people who are still without it. It was such a strange storm. It seems my area was literally in the center of it where it stayed warm enough to give us nothing but rain. I consider us very lucky. This morning while I was driving DD to school we saw about 10 electric co. trucks in a row driving north. I figured they were heading out to do more repair work before tomorrow's storm hits.

I'm in Auburn Right at the Mass Pike?Rte 20, Rte 290 into Worcester. We live at the hop of a hill and I think thats what really made a difference up here. The wind was wild, rain came sown sideways with ice in it. As soon as it hit the trees it froze immediately. We lost power at 10:00 pm and at 11:00 the tree limbs started cracking and breaking...The third one I woke Hubby up because he had the P/U parked in the back yard with the utility trailer attached to it. I made him move it...good thing I did. Pictures are in my gallery if you feel like taking a peek. We were w/o power till late Tues. I heard Electric crews came from Mich. Penn. Ohio and Maryland...We bought a generator which made a big difference...ran the refrig and pellet stove with it so we had heat and the food stayed good. Five days though was enough for me!!!

Just got in from shopping...everyone is clearing out the stores...Had to go to 3 different places for eggs! Think everyone is a little shell shocked from last week...

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

I just checked out the pics in your gallery. That's incredible. My coworker was at her parent's house and she said she was standing in their driveway and branches were falling around her every few minutes. She said she got the heck out of there. LOL

Is your ATV ok?

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to ASiverson

Without power after snow and ice storms or without power after hurricanes in the summer in Louisiana? Both are horrible, I'm sure, but I've never been in the first situation. Can you imagine someone who for some reason is in Louisiana after a summer storm and up north after a winter storm? You'd have to wonder what you did in a previous life to deserve that! JK

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to johnsusan8

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Judy!

law
law 
Veteran
law
  • law on 12-18-08 05:51 PM
In response to johnsusan8

I'm close to rindge n.h. going on 8 days with no power. I got some pretty pics as well to play with when my power comes back. expecting lots of snow tomorrow so will do the only thing I can and take more pic's. they didn't plow our road the other day because of lines still in the road so I may not be able to get to work. hoping to get power soon!

Jojo Noons
Mayor
Jojo Noons

• judyQ Said:
I just checked out the pics in your gallery. That's incredible. My coworker was at her parent's house and she said she was standing in their driveway and branches were falling around her every few minutes. She said she got the heck out of there. LOL

Is your ATV ok?

Yep it's fine thankfully!!! I've had it all of a month and have been out riding about 3 times I think! Would of been heart broken had it been crushed. Thanks for taking the time to stop by...thought you'd like to see some pics...Your friend is right it was really eerie that night...The trees kept snapping about three a minute...honestly it was that bad...we didn't get to sleep until 4 in the morning according to my LL Bean battery operated alarm clock!! hehehe! It was unbelievable!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics