Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: The Great Ice Storm of '08        (Topic#1489393)
Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Jojo Noons

• jojo noons Said:
  • judyQ Said:
I'm in Western Mass. but lucky for us we completely escaped the ice. We got nothing but rain during that big storm last week. We're not going to be so lucky tomorrow. We're supposed to get hit with 6-12" of snow. Happy Birthday to me.

I'm in Central Mass...just south of Worcester...We got slammed!!!! Hubby's wrok office is in Western Mass..and they thought he was kidding about our damage and our situation of being without power and all. When they called him the second time and he relayed the damage to them over the phone of downed trees and powerlines they couldn't believe it...They then started watching the news and then realized just how bad it really was here. My dd went back to school yesterday, we got power back late tues. afternoon. Many in N.H. and as close as 20 miles north of here are still w/o power and the schools will be closed throughout the Holidays.

Yep...I'm a little gun-shy about loosing the power again with all the snow storms headed our way...Fri. 8 to 10+, Sunday into Monday another one and now they're talking another Christmas Eve!!!

I'm in Palmer, not far from some of the towns that were hit really hard. A few people I work with live in the Warren area and they either lost power themselves for a short time or know people who are still without it. It was such a strange storm. It seems my area was literally in the center of it where it stayed warm enough to give us nothing but rain. I consider us very lucky. This morning while I was driving DD to school we saw about 10 electric co. trucks in a row driving north. I figured they were heading out to do more repair work before tomorrow's storm hits.

Jojo Noons
Mayor
Jojo Noons
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:
  • jojo noons Said:
  • judyQ Said:
I'm in Western Mass. but lucky for us we completely escaped the ice. We got nothing but rain during that big storm last week. We're not going to be so lucky tomorrow. We're supposed to get hit with 6-12" of snow. Happy Birthday to me.

I'm in Central Mass...just south of Worcester...We got slammed!!!! Hubby's wrok office is in Western Mass..and they thought he was kidding about our damage and our situation of being without power and all. When they called him the second time and he relayed the damage to them over the phone of downed trees and powerlines they couldn't believe it...They then started watching the news and then realized just how bad it really was here. My dd went back to school yesterday, we got power back late tues. afternoon. Many in N.H. and as close as 20 miles north of here are still w/o power and the schools will be closed throughout the Holidays.

Yep...I'm a little gun-shy about loosing the power again with all the snow storms headed our way...Fri. 8 to 10+, Sunday into Monday another one and now they're talking another Christmas Eve!!!

I'm in Palmer, not far from some of the towns that were hit really hard. A few people I work with live in the Warren area and they either lost power themselves for a short time or know people who are still without it. It was such a strange storm. It seems my area was literally in the center of it where it stayed warm enough to give us nothing but rain. I consider us very lucky. This morning while I was driving DD to school we saw about 10 electric co. trucks in a row driving north. I figured they were heading out to do more repair work before tomorrow's storm hits.

I'm in Auburn Right at the Mass Pike?Rte 20, Rte 290 into Worcester. We live at the hop of a hill and I think thats what really made a difference up here. The wind was wild, rain came sown sideways with ice in it. As soon as it hit the trees it froze immediately. We lost power at 10:00 pm and at 11:00 the tree limbs started cracking and breaking...The third one I woke Hubby up because he had the P/U parked in the back yard with the utility trailer attached to it. I made him move it...good thing I did. Pictures are in my gallery if you feel like taking a peek. We were w/o power till late Tues. I heard Electric crews came from Mich. Penn. Ohio and Maryland...We bought a generator which made a big difference...ran the refrig and pellet stove with it so we had heat and the food stayed good. Five days though was enough for me!!!

Just got in from shopping...everyone is clearing out the stores...Had to go to 3 different places for eggs! Think everyone is a little shell shocked from last week...

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Jojo Noons

I just checked out the pics in your gallery. That's incredible. My coworker was at her parent's house and she said she was standing in their driveway and branches were falling around her every few minutes. She said she got the heck out of there. LOL

Is your ATV ok?

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to ASiverson

Without power after snow and ice storms or without power after hurricanes in the summer in Louisiana? Both are horrible, I'm sure, but I've never been in the first situation. Can you imagine someone who for some reason is in Louisiana after a summer storm and up north after a winter storm? You'd have to wonder what you did in a previous life to deserve that! JK

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to johnsusan8

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Judy!

law
law 
Veteran
law
  • law on 12-18-08 05:51 PM
In response to johnsusan8

I'm close to rindge n.h. going on 8 days with no power. I got some pretty pics as well to play with when my power comes back. expecting lots of snow tomorrow so will do the only thing I can and take more pic's. they didn't plow our road the other day because of lines still in the road so I may not be able to get to work. hoping to get power soon!

Jojo Noons
Mayor
Jojo Noons
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:
I just checked out the pics in your gallery. That's incredible. My coworker was at her parent's house and she said she was standing in their driveway and branches were falling around her every few minutes. She said she got the heck out of there. LOL

Is your ATV ok?

Yep it's fine thankfully!!! I've had it all of a month and have been out riding about 3 times I think! Would of been heart broken had it been crushed. Thanks for taking the time to stop by...thought you'd like to see some pics...Your friend is right it was really eerie that night...The trees kept snapping about three a minute...honestly it was that bad...we didn't get to sleep until 4 in the morning according to my LL Bean battery operated alarm clock!! hehehe! It was unbelievable!!

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics