Username Post: Eyelets and Brads        (Topic#1489407)
lhorses
New Kid On the Block
lhorses

Okay i'm old school. Ive been scrapbooking for 10 yrs + and have never used the eyelets or brads. need some advice on what to buy and where the cheapest is. I don't want to buy the wrong thing then have to turn around and get something different. Thanks for any ideas. Also any explainations on using them and what tools

shanbah
Idol
shanbah
In response to lhorses

Personally I like brads better because you don't have to have an eyelet setter. I reach for them far more often than for my eyelets.

Jamie Pope
Queen
Jamie Pope
In response to shanbah

I use both, just depends on the look I want. I have the Crop a dile or Big Bite to punch the holes and set my eyelets. That's the only tool (IMO) you need for eyelets.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 12-18-08 07:57 AM
In response to Jamie Pope

I would go for a pack of multi colored basic brads first. I have lots of eyelets but don't use them much right now. I really want the big bite. Hoping to pick one up this weekend when we finish Christmas shopping since I have a coupon.

I use brads the most and have even picked up some that are open like the eyelets so you can run string or ribbon through them. I do like brads to hold down vellum. By far the easiest way to get it to stay in one place without worrying about something showing through the back side.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to shanbah

Plus with brads you only have to make a slit with a craft knife.

You can buy brads at office supply places. If you have embossing powders in various colors, you can use these to color your standard office brads these colors. Use some tool to hold the backs of the brad while you head up the head. Once the head is heated, dip into the embossing powder. Pull out and let cool before using.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I bought so many eyelets early on and don't often use them. I do use the brads more often because they are easier to use. I just poke a hole with the tip of my sharp scissors...be careful of your finger...ouch! I would just get a small amount of basic color eyelets and brads and a setting tool and then just buy them to go with certain paper lines.

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to dollscrap

I use both, but use brads the most. I mom actually using the stick on type of brads from JoAnnes. They come in round, square and silver, black and white. They work really really and you don't have to poke any holes.

I have the Crop a dile, but really want to get the Big Bite. Is it worth the money?

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to momtokatie

I used to use brads more than eyelets until I got my Karen Foster Clikit. Now I don't hesitate to use eyelets because the Clikit is so easy to use. Brads are so easy. You really can't go wrong with them. Just buy a pack of multi-colored brads at a craft store and have fun with them.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Judy_Scraps

I use brads since I don't really want to mess with an eyelet setter. They also have something called an "eyelet brad" - looks like an eyelet, but doesn't require a setter. Anyway, oriental trading company has a huge selection of brads and eyelets and the prices are reasonable too.

Edited by Mama2Thomas on 12-18-08 09:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Mama2Thomas

I'd agree with what's been said... start out with some brads. I say this because they are easier to use and don't require any additional tools.

Crystal is Leahs Mom
Idol
Crystal is Leahs Mom
In response to Bxr-Linda

I like brads, I have a big bite but I haven't used it yet,it's still in the package I have to get to it. But If you want to try the eyelets I would go with what was suggested above about the eyelet brads. They give you the eyelet look but in the hassle free brad way. You can also go on ebay and find a lot that sells eyelets, brad, or even both.

lhorses
New Kid On the Block
lhorses
In response to j3Mel

thanks for the advice. the brads are the ones that you place through a hole in the paper and spread the metal prongs out and mash flat right? you can use them through the flower petals that have the hole in the middle of them and other embellishments with the open hole in the center?

Swirls R Pretty
Expert
Swirls R Pretty
In response to lhorses

Yep thats brads.

I like to use eyelets alot. I just bought a mixed package and the Making Memories tool kit when I got started with them.

I use the hammer and setter method.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to lhorses

• lhorses Said:
thanks for the advice. the brads are the ones that you place through a hole in the paper and spread the metal prongs out and mash flat right? you can use them through the flower petals that have the hole in the middle of them and other embellishments with the open hole in the center?

That's correct.

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • lhorses Said:

That's correct.

If I want a brad in something and it doesn't have a hole...I put one it with a paper piercer, the put the brad...

JoJorenee
Queen
JoJorenee
In response to Patti Sylvia

Ditto to all the responses.
I love that guy Brad! He is so hot and comes with a lot of personality to your LO! I had an issue with eyelets because I had like a 5 part eyelet setter that drove me crazy . Then I brought the Crop A Dile II. Its amazingly easy. Even though I have it I am trying to use all of my eyelets up.
I want to one day use grommets sorry if that new ones messing with ya.

But brads are definately the way to go. I like Big and medium best.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics