Page 2 of 4 
Username Post: I did it OMG!        (Topic#1489469)
LilScrappy22
Expert
LilScrappy22
In response to Judy_Scraps

thats crazy i'm so broke these days i need something like this to come along...here's to hoping

bramma
bramma 
Tenant
bramma
In response to LilScrappy22

That happened to me once at JoAnns. I bought the summer stack. The whole shelf was full of shrink wrapped packs so I grabbed two, not really thinking about it. When I got home I found that each package contained 3 stacks. I called the store to tell them that one of their employees had messed up by not opening the packages. I figured they would tell me to keep the extras, but the manager asked me to return them.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to KatieJo

I am not trying to sound condemning, but doesn't anyone think about taking the unpaid-for-items back into the store? I have made many trips or phone calls back to a store that didn't charge me enough, or didn't ring up an item, or maybe it was on the bottom of the cart and I forgot it. I am very surprised at how many people on this board seem to think it is okay to keep the merchandise because it is scrap supplies I guess. What are we teaching the little eyes and ears that follow us around?

Meak72
Meak72 
Mayor
Meak72
In response to scrapnread

• scrapnread Said:
I am not trying to sound condemning, but doesn't anyone think about taking the unpaid-for-items back into the store? I have made many trips or phone calls back to a store that didn't charge me enough, or didn't ring up an item, or maybe it was on the bottom of the cart and I forgot it. I am very surprised at how many people on this board seem to think it is okay to keep the merchandise because it is scrap supplies I guess. What are we teaching the little eyes and ears that follow us around?

I was wondering the same thing as I was reading this. I mean 3 packs of paper? What on earth will you ever do with that many packs of the same kind of paper? And with this economy, that is just one more thing that store has to take a loss on.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Meak72

• Meak72 Said:
  • scrapnread Said:

I was wondering the same thing as I was reading this. I mean 3 packs of paper? What on earth will you ever do with that many packs of the same kind of paper? And with this economy, that is just one more thing that store has to take a loss on.

My post above says that I contacted Joann's online store and the ebay seller that put extra items in my packages. I was told to keep them. As far as the other store I got a duplicate item from, I didn't notice there was an extra in the pack until I went to use it. My experience with most online scrap stores is that they usually let you keep it when it's not an expensive item. It's their error and it's not the customer's responsibility to cover the cost to return it. The store would spend more money than the item is worth to have it sent back. The same is true for regular stores that neglect to unpack multiples when stocking their shelves. In a perfect world the customer is honest and drives all the way back to return it. Yet, at the same time she paid for it with good intentions. It's not the customer's fault they weren't unpacked properly. If the customer gets all the way home and then realizes the mistake, are they required to drive all the way back to the store using their time and gas to correct the store's error? Would the store reimburse them for their honesty with a small gift card or store credit for their trouble? Probably not. This really isn't a case of stealing and it's not done on purpose. It's because the store made a mistake.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

I just reread the original post and she did know there were more than one in the pack when she paid for it. Everything I just typed applies to those who paid for something not knowing it wasn't unpacked correctly.

randasue
Guru
randasue

i agree with this poster. i could not keep something that i did not pay for, whether it was a mistake in packaging, or just not rang up somehow. for example, i bought 6 cases of diet rite, and told the girl 3 times that i had 6 of them, but only had the one on the counter, so i didn't have to put them all up there, and she said ok. i was buying a ton of stuff, and didn't add up how much i was spending. so later when i checked my receipt, i realized she had only charged me for one. so i went back and paid for the others. the clerk thought i was crazy, but i had to do the right thing. i am not trying to sound goodie goodie, but right is right and wrong is wrong...even if it is scrap related!! by the same token, i wouldn't want the store to overcharge me, and it should work both ways. hope i don't offend anyone, but just wanted to express my opinion.
  • scrapnread Said:

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

• scrapnread Said:

\

well- as a General role- i would return. and as it's been- sometimes i get things insted of what i orderd- and they send me the other stuff- and told me to keep the stuff that i did'nt order.

if i know that there's a mistake- i will point it out- but if I I'm home- then no- I don't have to make a special trip back because THEY MADE A MISTAKE.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 12-21-08 02:01 AM
In response to Meak72

• Meak72 Said:
  • scrapnread Said:

Thats right.

Whether you call it the Golden Rule or Karma or whatever, you will pay for it in one way or another.

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to Keys

Hi,Miniscrapper!

If you are still feeling bad about the extra paper, go to the store, explain the situation, how its still weighing on your mind, and pay the difference. It's an easy fix if your conscience is bothering you.

I used to get those small packets of scrap supplies in the mail - unsolicited - with a note that if I don't like the supplies, I can send them back or I'll be billed for a membership to whatever company sent them. I never knew if that meant I had to pay for the supplies if I kept them or if I had to pay to ship them back or whatever. I ended up tossing the packages because the stuff was low-quality, but it really bothered me - do I pay or what?? And is that even legal for them to send me stuff I didn't want or request??

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to * Julie *

Julie, anything that's sent to you unsolicited through the mail is legal for you to keep, no strings attached. You don't have to feel guilty for not paying for it because you didn't ask for it to be sent to you.

From USPS:
Do I have to return unsolicited merchandise?
If a company sends you a gift in the mail, but you didn't request it, the item is yours, and you are under no obligation to pay anything (regardless of the mail class).

You, the consumer, may only legally be sent two types of merchandise through the mail without your consent or agreement:

Free samples which are clearly and conspicuously marked as such.
Merchandise mailed by a charitable organization that is soliciting contributions.
And in these two cases, you can consider the merchandise a gift if you wish. In all other situations, it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously purchased or requested it.

If you do not wish to pay for unsolicited merchandise or make a donation to a charity sending such an item, you may do one of three things (in each case, by law, you have no obligation to the sender):

If you have not opened the mailpiece, you may mark it "Return to Sender," and the United States Postal Service will return it with no additional charge to you.
If you open the mailpiece and don't like what you find, you may throw it away.
If you open the mailpiece and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.
Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.

If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements insisting on payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector.

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *

Judy, that is GREAT information! Thank you!

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to * Julie *

• * Julie * Said:

Ditto that. Thanks a ton! I was kind of assuming that, but never saw it in black and white. I'm pretty sure I know exactly which company you're talking about, Julie. I always end up throwing it away. I think it's such a horrible gimmick. I already pay for two of their magazine subscriptions. I don't need some crappy fonts cd or the same recycled card kit.

As for the rest of the convo- it's happened to me, I'm sure it's happened to all of us. I was Jo's and picked up a thing of K & Co. Bling, when I got home, I realized there were three of the same packets packaged together. At first I thought, WooHoo, my lucky day. And then the guilt set in a few happy thoughts later. I called the store, explained what happened, and they said don't bother, just keep it. Then it was guilt-free pleasure from there!

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
  • * Julie * Said:

Ditto that. Thanks a ton! I was kind of assuming that, but never saw it in black and white. I'm pretty sure I know exactly which company you're talking about, Julie. I always end up throwing it away. I think it's such a horrible gimmick. I already pay for two of their magazine subscriptions. I don't need some crappy fonts cd or the same recycled card kit.

We are talking about the exact same company! I've canceled both mags, too, and I no longer get all the junk.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to * Julie *

i was thinking....how there's nearly no chance that a store here could have that mistake.... it's so isreali.... and there's like a work to discrabe how you would be a sucker for returning....

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-21-08 01:15 PM

• scrapnread Said:

I was just sitting here reading this thread thinking almost the exact same thing. Two weeks ago I went to buy some of the BG paper pads that were on sale at Michaels. I also bought ane SEI Christmas paper pad as well. I had, in my mind, 4 paper pads in total. That's what I paid for. When I got home I realized I had 6. Two extra BG paper pads were bundled together with the one BG pad. Sorry, I got in my car and took them back with the receipt. I went to the customer service counter and talked to the manager. They were amazed that I would even drive back and do that.

Long story short: I ended up being able to pick up two packs of Bazzill cardstock because I took them back. And I walked out feeling pretty good about myself.

I've done the same thing at Walgreens and Walmart. And each time that I've gone back to say something, I've received something in return. I don't look for getting something back. I just look at it as not wanting to feel guilty and I would feel guilty.

But everyone is different and I certainly don't condemn anyone for keeping anything either. I don't live that far from any of these stores but some people don't live close to them either.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to GrandmaMichelf

I must be the only person who's never had something like this happen.... at least not that I'm aware of.

Cindy

miniscraper
Idol
miniscraper
In response to cindy312

I didn't set out to scam them.besides Are you saying if this had happened to you you'd go back?

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 12-21-08 08:01 PM
In response to miniscraper

• miniscraper Said:
I didn't set out to scam them.besides Are you saying if this had happened to you you'd go back?

I would go back and I have gone back. It was only a $1 item in my case. It doesn't matter if you set out to do it or it happens as an accident.

It doesn't matter if someone purposely rear ends your car or they rear end it by accident, you still expect them to do the right thing by you. Same thing.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to miniscraper

• miniscraper Said:

Absolutely. I have and I will. And I live more than an hour from the nearest store. I would rather set a good example than have to explain why I am exempt from honest behavior.

Page 2 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics