Page 3 of 4 
Username Post: I did it OMG!        (Topic#1489469)
scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to * Julie *

It's one thing to NOT know you're getting extra and discovering it AFTER it's too late to take it back.

But if you KNOW you're wrong...well, that's just being dishonest.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to Keys

on the other hand- if you park you car in such a way the blocks- and that's why it happens...

if they do a miastake- and I have to go out of my way- time and money- then it's not my fualt. when it happen vie mail- i called in- and since it's not wroth the shipping ( which I pay a-lot! for)- they telly me to keep it.

but why do i have to spend my time and my money and gas to fix their probalem? (I'm not refering to very expensive things....)

Meak72
Meak72 
Mayor
Meak72
In response to miniscraper

• miniscraper Said:
I didn't set out to scam them.besides Are you saying if this had happened to you you'd go back?

Um, yes, you did. See your original post below.

• miniscraper Said:
I felt so bad...
This Was NOT at Michaels.

I've not said anything about this for fear it might come back to bite me in the ********..Back in fall a store had scrap stuff on sale I really wanted the DCWV "All Dressed Up"stack they had it.I picked it up,thought it was a tad heavy, My mind is trying to think of WHY this is..The light went on....there was more than one stack in this pack,well knowing this i went and paid for my "one" stack..I get home and after i opened it their were 3 stacks all done up ,they hadn't taken it out of the package/wrapping..I laughed,but at the same time felt bad...lol ~ I don't normally do stuff like this either I'm as honest as they come.

kiwiholly
Expert
kiwiholly
In response to Meak72

I think it's obvious that the honest thing to have done would have been to have brought it to the attention of the shop assistant.

I'm kind of surprised that it took so long for people to stand up and say that it's dishonest to "sneak" away with products you KNOW ought not to be packaged together.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 12-22-08 04:04 AM
In response to Kitty_wOlf

• Kitty_wOlf Said:

but why do i have to spend my time and my money and gas to fix their probalem? (I'm not refering to very expensive things....)

It is now your problem because you now have something in your possession that is not yours that you took without paying for from a store.

Price is irrelevant. Good character has no price tag.

People need to get over the jealous "I deserve it mentality" when dealing with companies and such. You didn't win the lottery. The supply fairy did not heap blessings upon your head. It is the every day nickel and dimeing of the places like this that make the prices go up. It is what makes the little Mom and Pop businesses (like scrapbook store s) go out of business.

Have the character to at least call the store and tell them what happened. Let them tell you what to do since it is THEIR goods. In most cases they probably will tell you to keep it but this also allows them to mark their books properly and to FIX the problem.

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid
In response to Keys

I placed an order online a long long time ago and when I got my order, there were 6 of the one item that I ordered, I emailed them and they said to just keep them, that it was their mistake and it would cost me a lot to send them back when it wasn't my fault. It was nice of them. BUT I did tell them.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-22-08 07:17 AM

• Kitty_wOlf Said:
on the other hand- if you park you car in such a way the blocks- and that's why it happens...

if they do a miastake- and I have to go out of my way- time and money- then it's not my fualt. when it happen vie mail- i called in- and since it's not wroth the shipping ( which I pay a-lot! for)- they telly me to keep it.

Just because you park your car the wrong way (where it blocks two parking spaces instead of just one), anyone with good sense wouldn't park next to your car. And if that person hits your car, it's still their fault no matter that you parked cattywonkers. It's called "reasonable care".

I just disagree with all this "getting something for nothing". To me it's the same as stealing. That's why I take things back if there's a mistake on my part or the store's part. It's a chance to rectify the mistake. And something good always comes out of rectifying these kinds of mistakes.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-22-08 10:57 AM
In response to Meak72

• Meak72 Said:
  • miniscraper Said:
I didn't set out to scam them.besides Are you saying if this had happened to you you'd go back?

Um, yes, you did. See your original post below.

• miniscraper Said:
I felt so bad...
This Was NOT at Michaels.

I've not said anything about this for fear it might come back to bite me in the ********..Back in fall a store had scrap stuff on sale I really wanted the DCWV "All Dressed Up"stack they had it.I picked it up,thought it was a tad heavy, My mind is trying to think of WHY this is..The light went on....there was more than one stack in this pack,well knowing this i went and paid for my "one" stack..I get home and after i opened it their were 3 stacks all done up ,they hadn't taken it out of the package/wrapping..I laughed,but at the same time felt bad...lol ~ I don't normally do stuff like this either I'm as honest as they come.

I have to agree here...and it's things like this that cause prices to increase for other shoppers, too.

Mimmy96
Veteran
Mimmy96
In response to KatieJo

When this happened to me at michaels, I did call the manager when I got home and realized it... They couldn't stop thanking me...

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05
In response to Mimmy96

If I notice it I take it back or try to anyway. I've been given extra change at a store, and did not notice until I got home. I took it back the next day (was like $10) and the cashier was never so happy to have it back. They gave me a coupon for the next time I shopped there

I think most places are likely to reward honesty. But that's just me.

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ
In response to Mulan05

Once I bought some items and didn't pay attention when I paid for them. When I got home I went over my receipt, as I always do. I was undercharged about $10. The next time I went to the store I took a list of the items I purchased with the receipt and showed the owner (LSS). She was surprised!!! I felt good about doing that!

I feel that stealing is wrong no matter how it happens.

JoJorenee
Queen
JoJorenee
In response to gmanscrap

• gmanscrap Said:
I know this sounds TERRIBLE, but....I can't tell you how many "bags" of grocery items I've left behind: tp, even meat that is "bad" when I've opened it out of the package. I live in the country, so.....I'm not "hiking a trip" back to the store to complain or "repack" my items once I've gotten home. I figure if this happens....not your fault or choice. These things have never happened to me, but then again, I rarely "shop" at the store (mainly online). Maybe I should store shop more often....would increase my odds! LOL!

At least once a week I go into the store after picking up my ds and forget what I purchased. I call the store and they say hey you didn't even bag it either!

kiwiholly
Expert
kiwiholly
In response to Croppin4Christ

• Croppin4Christ Said:
Once I bought some items and didn't pay attention when I paid for them. When I got home I went over my receipt, as I always do. I was undercharged about $10. The next time I went to the store I took a list of the items I purchased with the receipt and showed the owner (LSS). She was surprised!!! I felt good about doing that!

I feel that stealing is wrong no matter how it happens.

IMO, THAT'S the sad thing, people being surprised when others manage to do the right thing and conduct themselves in an honest manner!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to scrapnread

If I see a mistake taking place, I will tell the checker. If I pick up a pack of items that I think should be charged separately, then I will ask about them before being rung up. However, if I don't see the error until I'm already home (I live far from most everything), then I let it go, unless it's a huge mistake. That goes either way, whether it's in my favor or theirs. I do a lot of online ordering for things, and I always call when a mistake has been made. Every time I was told to keep the item as shipping it back would be expensive for them, and bad customer service for me.

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to Luvmyfam

Oh ... another that causes me guilt are those free address stickers that come in the mail from various non-profits asking for donations. I already donate to some of the organizations, but I really can't donate to all of them. So I feel bad using the stickers, believing some poor kid with cancer created the smiley face in hopes I'd donate, yet the eco-friendly part of me can't toss them either, knowing the paper and manpower used to create the stickers were all wasted if I do toss them. Yet, they are so handy when paying the bills ...

Ugh. The guilt that comes with those things is HUGE.

elleemae
Tenant
elleemae
In response to * Julie *

I think that if a store gives you something that you know you didn't pay for, then you should contact them. More often than not they will tell you to keep it if it would cost more to ship it back than for them to eat the cost of the mistake.

I had a pkg of magnetic refrigerator frames that I bought and the clerk was having a hard time ringing it up. I didn't think too much about it because this it happens all the time. I got it home and put it away. Months later I went to use them and when I openened the package, I realized that it should have been opened and separated. I felt horrible about it. I'd thrown out the receipt. I called the store and tried to explain the problem to them and they were clueless. When I went there the next time, I went to that area to make sure that the items had been put out properly and they were.

I felt horrible about the whole thing.

Needless to say, I had a company send me 6 Xyron cartridges and a bunch of other stuff instead of the $20 order that I placed. I called them to correct the error.

I just can't fathom feeling *okay with it* when these things happen *if you haven't tried to correct the error*.

It's not karma, it's not a gift...it's someone else's mistake and you don't know that in the long run they won't get into trouble and potentially lose their job because of it.

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to * Julie *

• * Julie * Said:
Oh ... another that causes me guilt are those free address stickers that come in the mail from various non-profits asking for donations. I already donate to some of the organizations, but I really can't donate to all of them. So I feel bad using the stickers, believing some poor kid with cancer created the smiley face in hopes I'd donate, yet the eco-friendly part of me can't toss them either, knowing the paper and manpower used to create the stickers were all wasted if I do toss them. Yet, they are so handy when paying the bills ...

Ugh. The guilt that comes with those things is HUGE.

You can't donate to them all...

I haven't had this happen to me, I'm TERRIBLE at checking my receipt or paying attention to things - so maybe it has happened. I'm sure I've been "ripped off" WAY more than I've gotten "deals", lol.

Phoebe Kates
Expert
Phoebe Kates
In response to Dancing Queen

Ugh....

I'm really disgusted by the "its their mistake and my gain" attitudes. And the excuse of, "I don't live close by."

You can completely rectify the situation by calling the store. Credit or debit cards can be taken over the phone to pay for the merchandise. Or if you cannot afford to keep them, ask to speak to a manager. Depending on the store and its corporate policies you may be allowed to keep it (and their inventory gets adjusted correctly) or you may be asked to return it on your next visit.

Its a matter of integrity and honesty.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to Phoebe Kates

• Phoebe Kates Said:
Ugh....

I'm really disgusted by the "its their mistake and my gain" attitudes. And the excuse of, "I don't live close by."

You can completely rectify the situation by calling the store. Credit or debit cards can be taken over the phone to pay for the merchandise. Or if you cannot afford to keep them, ask to speak to a manager. Depending on the store and its corporate policies you may be allowed to keep it (and their inventory gets adjusted correctly) or you may be asked to return it on your next visit.

Its a matter of integrity and honesty.

Exactly.

MomWolf
Idol
MomWolf

• Kitty_wOlf Said:
  • scrapnread Said:
I am not trying to sound condemning, but doesn't anyone think about taking the unpaid-for-items back into the store? I have made many trips or phone calls back to a store that didn't charge me enough, or didn't ring up an item, or maybe it was on the bottom of the cart and I forgot it. I am very surprised at how many people on this board seem to think it is okay to keep the merchandise because it is scrap supplies I guess. What are we teaching the little eyes and ears that follow us around?

\

well- as a General role- i would return. and as it's been- sometimes i get things insted of what i orderd- and they send me the other stuff- and told me to keep the stuff that i did'nt order.

if i know that there's a mistake- i will point it out- but if I I'm home- then no- I don't have to make a special trip back because THEY MADE A MISTAKE.

I would take the extras back to the store, with my receipt to show I only paid for one but actually had 2 (or more) extras.

Maybe it's because of the Threefold Law my beliefs teach, or the thought of good karma by returning the items.

I would equal keeping the items to stealing (you know you didn't pay for them, yet you kept them anyways).

Page 3 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics