Username Post: Scrapbook as Record of Christmas Ornaments        (Topic#1490513)
New Kid On the Block

Hi,

I've never made a scrapbook, but I think I'd like to make one before I put my tree away.

Basically, I would like to take pictures of my Christmas ornaments and have a page for each ornament or set of similar or identical ornaments. In addition to the pictures of the ornaments I would like to record where and when I bought or received the ornament, who gave it to me, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this. My requirements are the following:

1. The album would probably start with 20-40 pages, and unless somebody screams at me for this, I'm happy to have pictures/text front and back. I would expect to add 1-5 pages per year. I understand that this would likely result in a second volume at some point. That's ok. I'm assuming something spiral bound?

2. Pages would have both pictures and text. I would like some flexibility in where pictures and text are placed and how many pictures are on a page. Obviously with a bulb one picture is plenty, but I might have more than one shot of the angel (details + different angles) or where I have a set of similar but not identical ornaments I would have pictures of 2 or three of them.

3. I would like to be able to add text to the text areas at a later date. For example if I were to break an ornament at some point, I would note when.

4. I wouldn't mind tabs or some sort of marker for each year. Each year could start with some pictures of the trimmed tree. And then have any new ornaments added that year. Is the tab idea tacky?

5. I'm not envisioning something very ornate involved. I'm not thinking about stickers or stamps or punches etc. I think classic/simple elegance is what I'm going for here.

Questions:
1. How best should I do this and what do I need?
2. How much would you guess this will cost me?
3. How do I integrate pictures and text.
Cart ahead of horse: If you recommend computer-created text A) how do I make this not look like tacky xerox paper taped onto a pretty album and B) (Here's the cart and horse part): What kind of font would be appropriate. Something simple and readable, but elegant/stately.
4. From people who know what they're doing, what other thoughts or advice do you have for how best to do this? I'm envisioning something that I could have or maintain for many years or possibly generations, so I'd like to do it nicely.

Any advice you can offer either in the form of direct answers to the questions or pointers to other articles or posts that might be useful. Not only have I never made a scrapbook before, I never even really seen one in my hands. So yeah, even pictures of something similar or adaptable to my purpose would be very useful.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer. I obviously don't have any expertise with which to reciprocate any advice you might give, but I'd be happy to post info about what I did and/or pictures of the album if that's something you do here and would like.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to ChristmasTree

Welcome to sb.com !

You might want to look into Creative Memories picfolios since this is your first scrapbook. It's easy to use and you can make it as simple or as elegant as you wish.

Your idea for the album theme is a wonderful one. I wish I had done this when I first got married!

Best of luck and I'm sure you'll get helpful ideas here. Did you do a search in the gallery to see if anyone else has done something similar?

LindaScraps2
Idol
LindaScraps2
In response to johnsusan8

What a great idea!!!I take a pic of the tree every year and have a christmas album started but i would love to see your book posted when you get done with it or just some of the pages

Good luck to you

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to LindaScraps2

I like your idea!

As for printing, there are oodles of free font sites available, so you can pretty much get any font you want. And I use typed journaling on many of my pages--I just run cardstock through my printer so the paper/colors and everything still match my page. With typed journaling, you could always go back and edit it and reprint and put that in your album if you needed to at a later date.

The tab idea is a good one...especially since you're adding some each year.

Since you are wanting this album to keep for years and years, make sure your supplies are acid-free. (If you buy stuff in the scrapbook department it should be clearly labeled on it.) Don't use things like Scotch tape, regular old rubber cement etc.--I'm sure you've seen books where the tape yellows and falls apart and where pictures are starting to disintegrate also. This goes for your album, papers, and adhesives (and any embellishments you may add).

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to scraprabbit

hmm.... I'd get a bind it all and make my own book! For covers get some mat board (doesn't matter what color) and cut to size, then cover with christmasy patterned paper and mod podge to seal it well. I'd use heavy weight water color paper for the pages and then you can add to them as you want. For tabs I'd get some at office depot (or somewhere like that) where you can slip in the little cards that way you can change them if you decide to do something different. You can get rings for the bind it all up to 1.5" I think. I LOVE making my own books! This sounds like the PERFECT way to use the bind it all! I made my first book this past summer for my mom and she LOVED it! I put tabs in the package I gave her and told her to put them at the top and not just down the sides so she could put markers where ever she wanted to. I'd like to second the use of the computer for journaling unless you want your own writing in the book. I think I might have to do this when DH and I finally get a tree up eventually. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

MsPena22
Veteran
MsPena22

I'm so excited about your desire and ideas. It sounds like you are on your way to being very successful in making a great collection of ornament scrapbook albums. If you don't mind my suggestion; I'd say you should put 4 photos on each page. Use two 3x5 or smaller photos of each (one/group/set) front and back and one journaling box of the same 3x5 size with a blank shadowbox for additional future text. It would help establish an easy to follow pattern should you pass your collection of ornaments or scrapbooks on to the next(male or female)generation. I don't collect ornaments but if I did, I'd love to use your idea.
hint: If you can't resize and print photos from home, Walmart has a machine that lets you choose from several photo sizes. Some of the products are available there too if you can't get them here.

New Kid On the Block
In response to MsPena22

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to try to go to a scrapbooking store this weekend. Hopefully they will have some actual scrapbooks that I can look at to have a better idea what mine might actually look like.

I did find some useful articles on this site after posting. I think I like the post-bound albums, though I like it with spine inserts. Hopefully the store will have something that looks right.

I've also been looking at the galleries, but I haven't really seen any with decent amounts of texts (think paragraphs, not sentences). Is that done, how does it look (how to make it look best, or are there any pictures you can point me to?

MsPena, I'm having trouble picturing your suggestion, partly because I'm not so down with the lingo. I'm not sure I understand what a journaling box is, or a shadow box or what they look like. I'll read more articles and try to work it out, but if you could point to a picture of something similar to what you have in mind, that would be great.

Thanks, again! I'll post again when I've gone to the store and maybe come back with some supplies. And of course if anyone has any more ideas, I'm still listening. I'm very excited about this.

New Kid On the Block

I found some pages in a style I quite like here:

http://flickr.com/photos/amishah/120930 207/in/set-72057...

http://flickr.com/photos/amishah/506652 060/in/set-72057...

Though looking at them really makes me realize that a lot goes into even something very simple looking and that I really don't know what I'm doing.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

1. How best should I do this and what do I need?
I would start by choosing an album that allows refillable pages, then select some holiday papers and a few embellishments.

2. How much would you guess this will cost me?
It depends on what you are willing to spend. Elaborate scrapbooks can cost a lot of $$$, but I've put together simple ones for under $50, which includes the album and supplies.

3. How do I integrate pictures and text.
You can use an acid-free pen and handwrite the text. A lot of people shy away from this, but it's really a great way to add some warmth in the albums that you are passing down. Otherwise, use something like Word, and create a document with your journaling, and print right onto the paper. Any font you like will do, and Word already has a lot to chose from.

4. From people who know what they're doing, what other thoughts or advice do you have for how best to do this? I'm envisioning something that I could have or maintain for many years or possibly generations, so I'd like to do it nicely.
I would suggest going through the galleries here, or looking through some magazines at a craft store. I always find lots of ideas to copy from the magazines. I would also suggest going through the Superstore here at scrapbook.com to search for albums and Christmas papers and embellishments. A basic scrapbooking class at a local store or in the classes section of scrapbook.com will be very helpful to get you started on basics.

Good luck and have lots of fun!

JaniceMO
Queen
JaniceMO
In response to Luvmyfam

Good Luck with your album, I have one of my ornaments but I went very simple with mine, I simply bought a small photo album where you slide the pics in the sleeves, then printed the journaling out, I put the pic on one page and the journaling on the facing page. It isn't that pretty but it does keep the story of my ornaments, (I have learned my family is not all that interested in hearing the history of each one as I hang it.) If you use computer journaling mounting the journaling on a piece of colored paper or cardstock helps to make it look nice. Good luck on your project!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Luvmyfam

It sounds to me like you've got some great ideas to start with. As with the others, I'd recommend a post bound book, this way you can move the pages around as you would like as well as add more pages. I've never worked with spiral bound, so I can't say. For journaling, you can use acid free cardstock, and run it through your printer with your journaling typed out. If you would rather hand write, you can get a marker that has disappearing ink. You can use the marker to make lines to write on then the lines will disappear and you'll just have your journaling. I personally have a Cricut Expression that I use to make text and embellishments. This does have a higher up front cost, but that longer term cost is a lot less because of the frequency I use it. All my scrapbook pages have used the Expression in one way or another. There's a program you can purchase from Craft Edge that's call Sure Cuts A Lot, this allows you to use any Cricut and cut True Type fonts, that way you're not stuck with just the cartridges. If this is something you're looking to do and continue with and if you have the funds, in my opinion, the Cricut (personal, create, expression) is the way to go. With the cricut there's also another piece of software called Design Studio. This allows you to use the cartridges and weld words/designs together so you'll have one long word instead of individual letters. I don't use my Expression without DS, it shows me what I'm going to cut before I cut. I've saved a lot of paper that way.

To answer your question on journaling boxes, that would be an area (or separate piece of paper adhered to the page) that has your journaling. I don't know if I helped or confused you more. Good luck!

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 01-03-09 09:10 AM
In response to Eeyore2005

Wow what a great idea!
You could let the ornaments dictate what your paper & embellies would be.. if you had lots of red & white you could use candy cane/peppermint ect.
Vintage ornaments could have vintage christmas paers! etc etc
it sounds like fun!
looking forward to seeing your end result!

Edited by Foamy on 01-03-09 09:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Foamy

I just read an article somewhere that had this same exact idea. Someone did a book of their ornaments and they used a simple photo book that they created similar pages for each ornament, (to keep it easy). If I think of where I saw it at, I will come back and post it so you can go see it.

I also am planning to do this with my ornaments, as I have ornaments from all over the world and each one has a story to tell.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Shutterbugg

Thanks everyone. I went out today and bought some supplies. I bought a 12x12 post-bound album and some refill pages. Black background paper (I forget what it's called, but the thick-ish paper). I bought some solid and decorative papers, some glue, and a cutting thingie.

I also bought 3 of the pdf guide books sold here. Two look useful, but one was disappointing and I think I'm going to return it. One that I bought was the floorplan book. I might buy the other one floorplan book.

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma

I wish I had known/thought about this years and years ago. I think one thing no one has mentioned is a photo of each year's tree. They will each be different, and you can see the ornaments as they are added to your collection. If you are a traveling person, you might include a small photo of the place where you bought each ornament (can't be done in retrospect, must be on current or future ornaments).:) Remember, start up will probably be the biggest expense you have; each year will be less than this first one. You might also consider a dedication for the inside of the front album cover. I do a dedication, telling when and why I started the album and how I'd like future browsers to view it. For instance in my first family album, I begin to notice how many pictures of water activities were showing up. So I dedicated a new album to "Our Watery Fun". Every type of water activity from slip'n'slide to deep sea fishing is in that book. We love to look at it in the winter especially.

New Kid On the Block
In response to okiegrandma

Now I'm starting to think I'm in over my head. I've suddenly realized how big 12x12 is and how little I have to fill it with.

It turns out "I bought this at place X in 2002." even with a little more details is only a couple of sentences, not a couple of paragraphs like I imagined it would be.

Also, I have no idea how to add a title to a page without going out and buying more stuff, or just sticking a white piece of paper from my printer onto my pretty page. Also, I can't find any title fonts that I like. They're all either too plain or too illegible.

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa

Don't panic you are not in over your head! Think about what you want someone to know about that ornament before you start! Answer the WHO, What, When and Where questions all in one sentense if you want. Just make sure to get some continuity to flow thru the pages you mention why you have enjoyed this ornament. Having a photo of it hanging on the tree is just a bonus. I can not wait to see what people have done with this thread. I hate to take down my decorations so having a photo of them to look at during the year would be really special to me! As far as a title on the page you can add them by putting the letters or words on tags that you embellish. You can use a textured paper for the title like a paper you embossed. Stamping the letters on the page will so give you a nice title. Using chip board letters you painted or covered with paper can also give you a different look. Use the technigues you have learned from classes you took or seen in magazines or on the photos here. Even adding a wreath make from holly leaves with the title written in a circle or a paper bell or bow with the title on that in a metalic pen. I am sure you have favorite things you like to do. Even writing the letters out with Stickles or let your kids write the title on a banner shaped paper can be a nice addition. Enjoy and have fun with it is the important thing! Keep up the good work! If 12 x 12 is too large then divide that page into half and put two ornaments on a page that are similar. For example two bells or two photos of children. Or two ornaments from the same country. I can not wait to see what others come up with. I might have to start one of these albums for me this year! All my ornaments were home made on our first tree. For years I crafted and put my skills and talent together. That tree got retired and the next tree had just all red and white Santa Claus on it. I have moved on to all clear ornaments that look like ice and a tree that has all snowman. So I could do a book on the orginal tree and the home made ornaments but add photos of the new trees that now decorate our rooms.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to KITswpa

First of all, don't get discouraged. You are onto such a brilliant idea and you have it visualized so well it is bound to turn out well too. I, like so many of the rest of the people responding here, am very fascinated in your project. It sounds like such a nice idea.

My suggestions are first, as was suggested by another member already, I would let the colors of your background be determined by your ornaments... and thus, do most of the work each year after you are ready to document. Keep some of the elements the same every year though and that will tie the albums together.

Secondly, I recommend that you keep the 12 x 12 book. Afterall, the two layouts you really liked appear to be constructed in that size. If you have that many ornaments per page, the small amount of journaling could still fill your space up pretty fast. Plus, you might in the future, have a very lot to say about a certain ornament. You never know.

Thirdly, I might suggest for you annual journaling, that you purchase a clear stamp set and use that for your journaling template. Just stamp it on a separate sheet of cardstock and then cut it out in a square (or any other preferred shape) and attach it to your layout. Or you could purchase tags, stickers, or a small booklet of such pre-lined sheets. In any case, I would recommend keeping your journaling in handwriting. That way if one did break - or you wanted to add easily to the journaling in the future for any reason at all - the addition would be very easy to do. You would just need to remove your sheet protector and add your info... as opposed to redoing the whole thing with typed font. I have indicated examples of some of the products (as found in the Superstore) needed for any of these approaches. You might of course find other ideas as well.

Fourthly?, the layout you were admiring seems to feature chipboard stickers for its title. You could use those, or regular stickers, or even alpha rub ons for your title. Any of these would eliminate the "piece of text just glued on look" that seem to be trying to avoid.

Finally, I too have tried to show off a few of my ornaments in a layout. I made a very simple page.... not as elaborate as the ones you were admiring or planning but I like it OK. I didn't journal... not that kind of LO, but it does feature a sticker title and handwriting in a very simple form.

Dated Ornaments 1 By KatieJo

Good luck. Really sounds like a great project!!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

New Kid On the Block
In response to KatieJo

Ok, I just ordered an alphabet stamp set in a font that I liked. I also got some gold ink to go with it. My ornaments are all burgundy/red and gold, so that's the colour scheme I wanted for the album. I didn't find any gold paper I liked, so this is a good way to bring in some gold.

Is (cloth)ribbon acid free and save to use?

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo

That looks like some good choices for your pages.

I can't answer the ribbon question for sure. I believe most are safe... but I've never tested for sure. You can do so with PH testing pen.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to KatieJo

most ribbon IS safe. I use it ALL the time!

MsPena22
Veteran
MsPena22
In response to okiegrandma

Oh how wonderful that watery fun album sounds. I'm sure it brings smiles to the faces of everyone who looks at it. That's whats so great about allowing your creative juices to flow. So many new ideas develope along the way. Christmastree would do well to just keep it simple and allow her own creative juices to flow as well. She might be pleasantly surprised as to what developes. TFS I enjoyed it.

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to MsPena22

It is fun and it happened by accident. We've got photos of my mil first visit to South Padre, and its wonderful - She said "I never thought I'd see the ocean" and when someone told her "it's just the gulf", she said "if I can't see across it, it's an ocean." Scrapping is wonderful, and I think this ornament album is an excellent idea. And there's a post on here somewhere where someone is making an album using two pages per month for a year. I may do that one - we've had an eventful last 2 months of 2008.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

Wow this is a wonderfully ambitious idea. Good luck with it. All the advice you've gotten is wonderful and I can't add anything else but just want to say have fun with it and I hope you will share some pages with us.
I view my ornaments as a collection, using the same ones each year and adding to them. I've taken lots of photos of them on the tree and every year I am going to do some scrapbook layouts and so far I have done ONE layout. This year I took a movie of my decorations..it's not very good but it was fun and during the year I can look at it cuz I hate that I can only enjoy my Christmas stuff for about 6 weeks out of the year, if that.
That's why I want to document the ornaments too. Now I feel all inspired. I won't do it on the grand scale you're thinking but I will do some now after reading all this. Great inspiration and awesome ideas!

Edited by dollscrap on 01-11-09 10:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics