Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What is the best circle cutter to use?        (Topic#1491913)
spot5194
Pro
spot5194

I am currently having issues with my cuttlebee circle cutter. Not sure if the mat I am using is not the one I should be using with it, but while cutting it will all of a sudden stop. Am I doing something wrong? I am about to get rid of it. Is there a better one out there?

Thanks for any advice!!!

musica620
Idol
musica620
In response to spot5194

I love my Creative Memories circles. I've never had a problem with them.

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 01-09-09 08:43 PM
In response to spot5194

yep, to me CM cutting system is the best!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Kiber

The first one I bought was Fiskars and it sucked...for the longest time I used a compass with a razor which only made 4" circles. For larger circles I used plates!

A few months ago I bought the Martha Stewart circle cutter from Walmart and I love it! It's so easy to use

Fortunes Fool
Governor
Fortunes Fool
In response to Just G

I LOVE THIS ONE!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to spot5194

Fiskars USX Shape Express is my favorite. What you see is what you get. You can place the circle template right over a photo or pp, and then cut. I still have my Creative Memories System, but no longer use it as I found the templates difficult to line up (you use them to determine the size you need, but then have to remove the template before cutting).

Edited by Luvmyfam on 01-09-09 09:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

spot5194
Pro
spot5194
In response to Luvmyfam

LOL...I found out what my issue was. Its def. the mat. I need to go out and buy a glass mat...grrrr. At least I wont have to get rid of my circle cutter.

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!!

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to Fortunes Fool

• Traci L.S. Said:
I LOVE THIS ONE!

I really like this one too. I also recently bought a Cricut Expression and if you have a cartridge that makes circles, I have found that to be the best because I don't have to mess with the cutter maybe moving and my circle being misaligned. I will probably end up using this more now because it is more acessible for me! But I really do like the EK ones mentioned above too!

Twinstars
Guru
Twinstars
In response to spot5194

• spot5194 Said:
LOL...I found out what my issue was. Its def. the mat. I need to go out and buy a glass mat...grrrr. At least I wont have to get rid of my circle cutter.

I use the glass from an old picture frame when I need a glass mat.

Mimmy96
Veteran
Mimmy96
In response to Twinstars

I also have the CM circle cutters, I actually bought them brand new still in the package at a yard sale, couldn't beat that!!!

spot5194
Pro
spot5194
In response to Mimmy96

I never find great any scrapbook stuff at yard sales..grrr. Jealous!!!

Anyways, missed the great idea on the "using glass from a picture frame"...went out and bought a glass cutting mat...grrr...I could have saved so much money too. Well, thats what happens. You kind of even out though...find ways to cut corners then end up making up for it in other areas. Thank you all for the great advice!!!!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to musica620

• musica620 Said:
I love my Creative Memories circles. I've never had a problem with them.

Me too!!!

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to terrihooper

Dinner plate, bowl or anything that's round that I can trace around and cut out with scissors. It fits into my budget much better than a cutting system.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Judy_Scraps

I used Coluzzle and find it is super versitle (it does way more than just circles) and relatively inexpensive.

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I have the ek circle scissors and the curvey cutter and the Fiskars shape express. For any of them the glass mat is a must. Just makes it so much easier. By far the circle scissors were the easiest to use and the shape express took a little longer to get. Now that I have the expression I probably will not be using any of them as much because it is so much easier to use. If I were to buy any of them again I would probably get the curvy cutter because of the sizes of circles.

melilou
Guru
melilou
In response to llprncess3

I avoided circles for the longest time because I had no luck with any of the circle cutters I tried. Finally I conquered my fear by trying my friend's curvy cutter and I am so happy with it. I can't wait to start using circles more on my LOs!

The glass mat has been a must for me for a long time. I much prefer using one when I use my exacto knife. And it definately makes circle cutters work better...

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to melilou

I had the same problem with my cutter bee and realized it was the mat. I broke my first one trying to use it on a self healing mat. I bought the glass mat but you can use the glass from a picture frame ( I know someone already said that) or any other flat glass surface.

scrappingaddict
Pro
scrappingaddict
In response to spot5194

• spot5194 Said:

Once you buy the glass mat, you will find that you use that more often than your self healing mats. I love the glass one....makes everything easier to cut!

kanary
kanary 
Mayor
kanary
In response to spot5194

I bought mine at my LSS with the store's 40% off coupon. The owner was so kind to tell me up front that you needed to use the glass mat with it. She didn't have the large one in stock but ordered it for me. I love my system! I love that you can use it to make the thinnest circle frames!

Edited by kanary on 01-11-09 11:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Shannonmarie123
Pro
Shannonmarie123
In response to spot5194

Do NOT get the Fiskars circle cutter. I have it and its a pain to cut anything with. the only thing its good at doing is poking a hole in your paper. you can't line anything up right, its really hard to turn the cutter without turning the paper/photo with it.

that's my suggestion on one not to get.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics