Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Absolute must haves        (Topic#1491999)
Guru

Okay ladies, I'm asking for some help. What do you consider "absolute must haves" for a beginning scrapbooker?
I've got a budget of about $20 a month as I've signed up for a couple of swaps that will take up the rest of my free money. I absolutely REFUSE to be a "flaker"!
The first thing I want is an inexpensive paper cutter that I saw at Hobby Lobby last week. Other than that what can you suggest? I've got 2 album kits so that gives me a little but not much. I won't be doing any really "cluttered" pages as I don't think they fit into what I like. Won't be using lots of fancy or expensive embellishments as I want to pictures I use to be the most important thing on the pages.

Yuyis
Yuyis 
Idol
Yuyis
  • Yuyis on 01-10-09 03:12 PM
In response to moodymolly

my 2 cents:

1. paper trimmer (which you said you already saw)
2. adhesive
3. a couple of stacks of cardstock in different shades. (BELIEVE ME: don't over buy stacks of patterned paper , it's addictive! LOL, most of the time you end up with tons of paper you don't use for months, even years. If you're starting then buying the kits or even single papers on sale may work ok.
4. punches or templates to cut basic shapes (circles, squares, scalloped, circles, etc.)
5. ink pads (I use black & brown most of the time)
6. sets of stamps: alphabet, basic shapes, maybe common titles.

Later you can invest in a die cut machine if you want to cut different shapes, that way you don't end in so many punches and it'll take less space too.

There's more tools of course but these are the things that I use in almost every LO.

itsyscrapper
Expert
itsyscrapper

things that i use repeatedly:
1. my circle punch (bought on sale at HL)
2. my corner rounder (bought on sale at HL)
3. a set of clear alphabet stamps
4. "generic" stamps like paisleys or flowers
5. ZIG pen
6. buttons and brads
7. cardstock pack

i also buy lots of neutrals (brown inks, neutral cardstock packs, neutral buttons, metallic brads) so that things can be used time and time again.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to itsyscrapper

Things I can't live w/o:

paper trimmer (get a 12" one even if you don't do 12x12 pages!)
pens (start with black, brown, maybe white)
inkpads (again black, brown)
pack of cardstock--different colors
just a little patterned paper to start--figure out what you like as you go
adhesive - gotta kind of play around and figure out your favorite

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to scraprabbit

Things I couldn't scrap without:

1. paper trimmer (a 12"x12") - but you are already onboard with that

2. a black journaling pen or marker - I'm a fan of either gel pens or ZIG journaling markers (which have two ends for thick and thinner journaling choices in one marker)

3. ruler - see thru is best in my opinion - I like measuring out my placement of things sometimes... but not sure everyone agrees with the need for this. I haven't used either of the ones listed below but they do look to be good examples of what I would choose.

4. a good clean white eraser and a pencil (a mechnical type gives the sharpest lines I've found and includes the eraser right on the end of it... sometimes a really big eraser too)

5. a sharp pair of detail scissors - I like Cutterbee - they are good and pretty cheap - but way better than "average" scissors for cutting out small curves in a patterns and/or straigher lines

6. cardstock - in various colors especially black and white - as others have indicated, the patterned paper s will be easy to add over time... but you always need a variety of different colors of cardstock

7. adhesives - I like photo splits (good for attaching photos and cardstock mats) and wet adhesive (good for attaching detailed edge-work more securely) and even photo corners (for those items you might want to be able to remove temporarily anyway in the future) I have used the wet adhesive I suggest below but don't have specific advice for the other types since I'm still struggling to find my favorites

Also, Zots and Glue Dots can be added to your adhesive supplies if you ever decide to add heavier embellishments to your layouts since they are great for that.

8. glue eraser

9. page protectors (if you buy a basic size - like 8.5 x 11 or 12 x 12 or even 8 x you should be able to pick up the necessary album later

Those would be my starters anyway...

Edited by KatieJo on 01-10-09 07:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to KatieJo

i have a similar budget. i always wait for Coupons to help stretch the $. but when i go shopping i usually get:

papers for a specific LO...only if i dont have the color already
special embellies i can use repeatedly...like punches
adhesive, like the Dotto thing. very useful.

happy shopping!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Lamoo12

Oh yes, how could I forget my Cutterbee scissors?? Love those things!

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05
In response to scraprabbit

Things I can't live without:
1)paper trimmer - I can't cut straight with scissors, so it's been the best thing I bought
2)packs of assorted cardstock
3)clear ruler
4)markers/gel pens - Black and white are most useful
5)some kind of adhesive

If you can, always try and buy stuff on sale or with Coupons . It definitely helps stretch your money and you can get a lot more stuff. I'd also recommend checking out dollar stores: it's hit and miss, but I've found some pretty good stuff from there.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Mulan05

paper trimmer
scissors
adhesives
basic cardstock colors
a few good pens (sounds like a movie title) for journaling or doodling.

Letter stencils may be a good thing as well as a flower punch or a border punch so you can make your own easy but nice embellishments. Also some brads in basic colors...(they look nice just a few lined up at the edge of photo or as the center of a flower)

I always have bought too much of everything and don't use half the stuff I have. I think it is a great idea to have the basic scrapbooking supplies and then buy what you need for your layouts as you do them..maybe plan a few ahead and then shop. I never did that...but even though I have so much, half the time I don't have a paper that goes with the layout I have in mind and I end up buying even more stuff. You're wise to have a budget and try to just get what you need. But it is fun to have some fun embellishments around.

moviegirl
Resident
moviegirl
In response to dollscrap

Things I use the most are...

adhesive
12x12 paper trimmer
scissors
varied colors of cardstock
markers/colored pens

Using sandpaper and ink pads are inexpensive ways to alter your paper too.

Edited by moviegirl on 01-11-09 05:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrappingaddict
Pro
scrappingaddict
In response to moviegirl

My top must haves are:

Paper trimmer
Circle cutter/oval cutter
Ruler
solid paper and small amount of patterned paper
stickers/embellies based on what you are working on.

In the meantime, when a holiday is near, suggest gift cards to local scrapbook/craft stores.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to scrappingaddict

Paper trimmer
Scissors
Xyron adhesive
Glue Dots
Cardstock
Paper

scrappingaddict
Pro
scrappingaddict
In response to dotfree

Oh yea...my ATG. I can't imagine life without it now that I have one!

ScrappE
Diva
ScrappE

Paper and photos. haha.

Besides THOSE must haves, I would say I definitely couldn't go without letter stickers (and my Cricut now that I have that too, but I still like the look of some stickers), of course the 12" straight trimmer, adhesive squares and a glue pen, markers/pens, and I really like using the shape patterns from Creative Memories (just the circles and ovals right now) to give my pages a bit of variety. Oh and the corner maker! I'm sure there are other things, but those are the basics that I absolutely love now.

Guru

Thanks so much ladies.
One more question, what on earth is an ATG? I've seen it mentioned several times but don't know what they are.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole

1) paper trimmer
2) patterned paper and cardstock
3) adhesive
4) embellies
5) pens
6) ink pads and stamps

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I did my entire first album with:
scissors (I had),
adhesive (though I can't remember what kind),
a thin book of pattern paper Piazza something or other,
a few stickers,
some of my old rubber stamps from college card making days,

Guru
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Another question, what is "wet" adhesive?
Also is anyone willing to share what brands they prefer? I know there are many, many different ones out there for many items and it's nice to see who prefers which.

scrappingaddict
Pro
scrappingaddict

• moodymolly Said:
Thanks so much ladies.
One more question, what on earth is an ATG? I've seen it mentioned several times but don't know what they are.

ATG is the tape gun shown below. It is awesome for gluing without constantly stopping to change cartridge or pull a tab.

Wet adhesive is liquid adhesive verses sticker adhesive like shown below.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

• moodymolly Said:
Another question, what is "wet" adhesive?
Also is anyone willing to share what brands they prefer? I know there are many, many different ones out there for many items and it's nice to see who prefers which.

I really like the adtech glue runner from wally world (very cheap). I also use mini Glue Dots for pretty much any kind of embellishment. I use a Xyron machine and/or ZIG glue pen to adhere small die cuts/letters.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics