Username Post: Alphabet for Big Shot Question        (Topic#1492003)
cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson

I have been looking into the alphabet letters because I want to use them to cut out letters instead of having to always buy chipboard letters or use stickers. If you have these and are pleased with them,could you tell me which set you purchased? Of course, my machine can you use other brands also. I need help finding a set that will work for most layouts since the Sizzix set is about $150 at Michael's.

Thanks for any help!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 01-10-09 04:13 PM
In response to cdjohnson

I have Sizzlets alphas:

Classic - Very flexible and good font
Script - A little fancier than the Classic
Endless Love - This one does not have the shadows like the to I mentioned above.

On this layout I used both Classic and Endless Love

Page 1 - New Year's 2008
By Kimberkv

Yuyis
Yuyis 
Idol
Yuyis
  • Yuyis on 01-10-09 04:14 PM
In response to cdjohnson

I have a few of the sizzix and sizzlits sets, have you tried your local craigslist? that's how I bought some of my sizzix sets and for $30 and almost new.

taeklund
Governor
taeklund
In response to Yuyis

I highly suggest you watch on craigslist and ebay for letter sets. I have about 10 and have never paid more than $50 fo any of them! Also, I recommend the cuttlebug over the sizzix big shot simply because it will cut wih any diecuts. the sizzix big shot will only use the big shot dies I believe (I could be wrong on this).

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Yuyis

You can also try the auction site for sets. I like my sizzlit sets. I like fruit smoothie a lot; it's pretty versatile. It looks sort of like those bubble letters we used to draw as kids, with the rounded edges and form. It also has shadows you can use if you want.

For the larger alphas, I have fun serif and shadowbox. I really like shadowbox, but it doesn't work with more girlie, soft LOs.

If I were you, I'd go on sizzix.com and check out what they have. They used to do deep discounts on some stuff on Tuesdays, too.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

Anne, you should be able to use any dies in the big shot, from what I was told. You just need adaptors. However, a cuttlebug is much better for embossing, IMO. I was working under the impression that she already had the machine. I might be wrong there (it wouldn't be the first time. LOL).

cdjohnson, if you don't have the machine yet, you might want to consider getting an electronic die cutting machine instead. They will cut the font in various sizes, which is really helpful.

Edited by siameseplease on 01-10-09 05:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Yuyis
Yuyis 
Idol
Yuyis
  • Yuyis on 01-10-09 06:58 PM
In response to siameseplease

I have the big shot and original sizzix and I use all dies, including cuttlebug dies with an adaptor.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Yuyis

The big shot will cut with any die you feed it. and virtually any material too!

I have about 15 different alphas- a mixture of alpha bars and sizzlit alphas. I LOVE different lettering and use them ALL the time! You can also get 12" long dies that have a complete upper case alpha on them that are about .5" tall. I have several of those as well. I tend to get the fonts that have shadows so I can get a "2 for" on them. I also have the cuttlebug Fancy Pants alpha which I really like to use!

If you do not yet have a die cutter I'd recommend saving the money on the dies/cutter and get a computer based cutter that will cut ANYTHING you can put on your computer. There are TONS of free fonts you can download that will cut out with those machines. The only ones I know of are pazzles, craftrobo, silhouette, and Wishblade . I don't know much about them since I am not in the market for one at the moment but had I known these existed, I probably would have gone that route instead. Hope this helps a bit.

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to Seaexplore

Thanks for everyone's input. I already have the Big Shot and wanted it because I didn't want another "computer" gadget no matter how versatile. I saw the endless love alphas at Michael's and thought they were pretty. I will definitely check into craigslist.

msatterf
Pro
msatterf
In response to cdjohnson

The big shot can cut any of the dies as I found out when I bought some spellbinders dies. Those dies give instructions on which machines cut their dies and how to do it. Very nice.

momto2cutekids
Tenant
momto2cutekids
In response to cdjohnson

If your plan is to cut chipboard, it is definitely to your advantage to use the ellison or sizzix bigger dies. The smaller dies - like the sizzlits - won't cut very thick chipboard. I agree with craigslist/ebay, because you can get some good deals on there. If you absolutely must buy a new set, make sure you USE a coupon!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to momto2cutekids

I too am looking to cut thick chipboard. All of these things mentioned above (sizzlets, cricut) do not cut thick chipboard. I believe you can only buy the bigz dies. I don't know if the originals do this also.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics