Username Post: Newbie! Help on first project please?        (Topic#1492463)
New Kid On the Block

Hi, everyone! I am extremely new at this so forgive me.
For my school, I have to do a huge project on whatever I want; it's mandatory. I decided to choose a project on scrapbooking! It started out with me wanting to learn more about my family history and I thought a great way to present this was through a scrapbook. Only problem is I don't know how to begin.
What tools do I absolutely need to begin? What are the best places for me to get supplies? Best brands?
What kind of font should I use? Colors? I'm planning to use a lot of pictures. I think I'm going to have much more text than a usual scrapbook; the page(s) is going to have a bio and represent the person. So how would I go about doing this without making the page look too cluttered? I also plan to have a family tree at the very end of the album, any recommended stencils for a tree or something? I think I'm leaning toward a vintage look, but I don't want it to be all warm colors like copper and browns-it won't represent everyone in this album. I'm planning to use a 12x12 album, what color/brand would you suggest?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

itsyscrapper
Expert
itsyscrapper
In response to elloitsjen

i made my own family tree for my heritage album. I tore out a trunk and branches from brown paper and then used tags as the leaves. Each tag has the person's name, dob, dod, and place of birth. As far as colors go, I used alot of different colors, but primarly muted colors for the really old photos. Like for my great grandpaw i used a soft grey color and my great grandmaw i used a muted yellow. i definitely looked for papers that reminded me of vintage wallpaper. Don't feel like your have to use the same color throughout the album. You can use different colors throughout the album but make it feel cohesive by using papers that have a vintage feel.

Fonts I like that look vintage to me: Lucida Handwriting and Book Antiqua

Basic supplies:
12x12 paper trimmer
scissors
basic cardstock
brown ink pad (good for making things look old and distressed)
sandpaper (again, good for distressing)
photo corners
tape runner
a few "family" stickers and general embellishments like flowers and brads.

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 01-13-09 10:03 PM

Hi!!! Welcome!! I'm new too, so what can I say? , first of all, your idea is great, the good thing is that you know what you want to do, thats the hardest thing (to me) , So I just can suggest you to look at the gallery, they have good layouts that can inspire you in your project.
The places to get supplies...almost everywhere, I mean, even Wallmart has scrapbook supplies. I love Michaels, Joann's and of course scrapbook.com. At this time you can find the best prices at Joann's.
Have a nice and happy scrapbook shopping, beware: It's addictive!!!

New Kid On the Block

Well, what a great way to start scrapbooking, with
a family history, family tree book. I have made several of them for my nieces and nephews. I think that when you use black and white pictures and black paper or gray it will really look great. I recently came across a product that you can print on a printer that is peel and stick its
called adhesive vellum. It has worked great, and you can get more information on each page if you type it. I got my vellum on-line a Joann's. Good luck.. Don't forget to put your own touches
in the book for your look....

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Shirley06

I made one of these. I found the best heritage papers at AC Moore but you can also search here at sb.com , Archivers, and Hobby Lobby

Use alot of photo corners, alot of journaling, and if you have documents such as birth certificates or death certificates it will make it all the more interesting.

I never scanned/copied my family heritage album but I do have some of my fathers memorial album in my gallery.

Matriarchs
By GTGW

Dad's War Hero
By GTGW

Edited by GTGW on 01-14-09 07:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Just G

Also look into distressing inks. Check out the blog by Scapperlicious for a ton of distressing techniques!

Look up ideas for antiquing, distressing, heritage and family tree in the gallery for great ideas
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by GTGW on 01-14-09 07:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Just G

If you have a lot of journaling, don't feel like you have to put it on the page with the pictures. You can always do a two page LO, where you put the journaling on one page and the pictures on the page that will go right next to it in the album.

I'll shut up now, because I think everyone else already said what I was thinking.

lisaslittlecreations
Pro
lisaslittlecreations
In response to siameseplease

If you have a lot of pictures to put in this scrapbook and are going off the colors in the pictures but you have a color theme in mind. I would go with black and white pictures! This way your pictures will go with any color you pick! For the basic supplies...you will need:

1. A Paper trimmer
2. Paper
3. Adhesive

You could go to your library. I know mine has a lot of books on scrapbooking your family tree.

Good luck and I hope this helped!

Tenant
In response to lisaslittlecreations

Check out this website http://www.theeverydayscrapper.com/ there is organizational, product tips, and tutorials! its awesome!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to itsyscrapper

Thanks! You guys are so helpful and nice :] I definitely love the idea of tags being the leaves on the trees and I think I'll go with the muted colors idea. I went to Michaels for some supplies and it came out to cost around 108 dollars I had no idea it could add up to so much but I might end up not using some of it. Again, thanks a lot you guys!

Edited by elloitsjen on 01-18-09 01:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics