Username Post: where to find chipboard        (Topic#1493037)
aprildgirl
Veteran
aprildgirl

hello, everyone. I am looking for chipboard for my cricut. I tried the grafix med weight and used my deep blade and it didn't go through. so know i am looking for a thinner chipboard. does anyone have any recommendations and where to get it. seems like i saw somewhere they carried it at hl. any help appreciated.

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 01-18-09 11:28 PM
In response to aprildgirl

Maybe you are looking for this? I am going to buy a pack when I get my deep cut blade to try it out.

Rachel

aprildgirl
Veteran
aprildgirl
In response to Rae_M

i have noticed this and wondered if it worked in the cricut. hopefully someone else will give us advice.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

did you notice that "FYI: This chipboard, like most chipboard, is not acid-free"...

it this ture- chipboard is not acid free?

mariposa326
Diva
mariposa326
In response to Kitty_wOlf

What about the cardboard-like backing that comes with some packs of paper? That's pretty thin and would work. If you're worried about the acidity, Hobby Lobby sells a "Make It Acid Free" spray by Krylon for about $5.

kdsmommy
Idol
kdsmommy

I recycle cereal boxes and other things like that for chipboard. I save it, trace, cut, and cover. Cheap and actually quite useful. It's sturdy too and not too thick. Haven't tried it with a Cricut though...

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to kdsmommy

I've heard that even with the new Cricut blade, you still have to cut more than once for most chipboard.

Some chipboard is acid-free, some is not- get a pH tester pen to check things with- those pens come in very handy. If you do use non-acid-free chipboard and cover it with acid-free paper you should be fine.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 01-19-09 06:09 AM
In response to scrappinmac

I use the watercolor paper for chipboard. It comes in packs and is usually in the artist/paint section of the craft stores. My cricut cuts it in one pass. Sometimes I cut 2 images if I want it a little thicker.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Tivi

You can get chipboard in bulk at Kelly Paper stores.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Jennifer Priest

I bring mine home from work. I get a LOT of mailings that have it in there to keep the items from being bent during shipping--I just spray it with acid free spray if it is going to touch my photo and off I go-- I tried cutting the thinner stuff with my WB and it worked in one pass--- Horrraaayyyy!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics