Username Post: Die Cutting machine - Need Help        (Topic#1493145)
MarrLi 
New Kid On the Block

HI

I need some help determining which die-cutting machine to get. I like 2 types - The Slice and the The Big Shot. IF anyone can offer some advise, pros - cons, which ones you personally find better, etc that would be really helpful in making my decision.

Thanks !!

sarah_audrey_01
Expert
sarah_audrey_01
In response to MarrLi

I have the big shot machine. The slice doesn't appeal to me because I think it has limited usage
as far as how big it can cut. The big shot has several dies of varying lengths and it can use other die cutting dies.

MarrLi 
New Kid On the Block
In response to sarah_audrey_01

Thank you for your reply - I have been leaning more towards the big shot because it does have many dies. Do you know if I can use spellbinder and QuicKutz dies with the big shot? Thanks

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to MarrLi

yes you can. I'd skip the manual one and get a digital cutter like a cricut (which can cut varying size letters/shapes from a cartridge which is actually cheaper than the die sets!) or a computer cutter like a Wishblade or silhouette (there are others too) I have the sizzix family and love them all but find that sometimes I need something a bit larger or smaller and can't scale my dies.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 01-20-09 07:46 AM
In response to Seaexplore

I have a Cricut Expression. I love it because it is very versatile and you can cut exactly the size you want. I don't know much about the Slice, but I've read good reviews. It doesn't appeal to me because even though it looks like it has some cool cuts, it is very limited in the size you can cut. Manual machines also do not appeal to me because of the limitations on size.

I did a LOT of research before I settled on the Expression. It just fit me better. I love being able to cut titles or letters at any size that I need for a particular project. I also like that while it is independent of a computer, you can use it with a computer for even more variety.

Good luck on your venture!

scrappinNavyWife
Guru
scrappinNavyWife
In response to MarrLi

i got the cricut expression in the beginning of december...i'm not sure how i ever lived without it! it is soooooooooo much easier than messing with regular die cutting machines...i have the sizzix and i rarely use it...no more digging out dies for me!

OllieStar
Tenant
OllieStar
In response to scrappinNavyWife

Can I jump in here and tell you about my Cuttlebug? I really like it, and it allows me to use my sizzix dies, spellbinder stuff, and of course all the cuttlebug stuff. Plus, it was only $55 on sale! You can use the sizzix on the smaller dies but you need a magnetic adapter piece that was very difficult to find! I ended up having to get one off ebay. And while I like the dies, alphabets included, I LOVE the embossing folders, which I don't believe you can do with any of the digital machines.

I'd like to eventually get a digital one too, but I wouldn't give up my manual one for all the tea in China! If price and portability are an issue, check out the Cuttlebug.

Lori

To go further off-topic, I found the Silhouette on sale online for $111, which seemed like a great deal. And it doesn't need cartridges. Do any of you recommend this one?

MarrLi 
New Kid On the Block
In response to OllieStar

Thank you everyone - this is all great information especially being a newbie at all this.

MelindaK
Governor
MelindaK
In response to MarrLi

I am pretty new to this, so not alot of experience, but I have used my mother's Sizzix, and I got the Slice for Christmas. I can tell you I am loving the Slice and having alot of fun with it.

deigh_z33
Expert
deigh_z33
In response to MelindaK

I did a lot of research before buying a diecutting machine and ended up purchasing a Silhouette so I would not have to purchase cartridges, would have access to thousands of free files online, and be able to use my fonts from my computer. The Slice does look like an an interesting machine and is still on my wishlist, but the Silhouette is much more budget friendly right now. BTW, $111 for the Silhouette is a steal! Mine cost $169 in November, but was worth every penny!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics