Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Has your Cricut mat lost it's stickiness?        (Topic#1493371)
Nejinmo
Tenant
Nejinmo

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep/make my circut mat sticky? My circut is new (only used a few times) and the paper shifts on the mat because it has lost it's stickiness...

mommymaureen
New Kid On the Block
mommymaureen
In response to Nejinmo

Hello! Mine did the same thing and what I did was put a piece of Scotch tape on each side of the paper to the cutting mat and that usually kept it in place.

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to mommymaureen

Wash it with warm soapy water.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to JayAndXansMom

Most of my mats have stayed sticky for a really long time, but I've had a couple get unsticky very quickly.

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to Luvmyfam

I wondered if the warm soapy water worked, I had heard that but haven't used mine enough to dull it that much.

Ms Jackie
Diva
Ms Jackie
In response to Nejinmo

If you have only used your mats a few time, contact Cricut and tell them. I did my email, and made sure I gave them my address. They emailed me back with all type of hints, but they also sent me new mats.

I have done all type of things to my mats, from spray, clean with a lint brush, cleaning with Dawn, but the best I have seen is using a wide tip glue pen. I first clean the mat with a nail brush or a cleaning pad with dish soap. I then let them dry. Then I coat the mat, without going outside of the lines, with a glue pen. Zip has a glue pen, that is called the Baby Ben, but Martha Stewart also has one too. Both have a wide tip on them, so it easy to apply the glue. Someone felt that MS's pen was better. Since her pens were easier for me to find, I went with that one. After applying the glue let is dry. DO NOT put back on the plastic sheet until the glue has dried on the mat. Then ones it dry, put the plastic sheet on and make sure you press down the sheet allover the mat. I have done this to a few of my really old mats, and it works for me.

However, remember that Cricut has stated if you do anything to your mats, and something happens to your machine, and they find out, they will not honor your warranty.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Ms Jackie

happens alot. The thicker cs you use the more sticky it takes up....fibers and stuff

Dollie llama
New Kid On the Block
Dollie llama
In response to Just G

I have used a quilting reposionable basting spray and it worked quite well and you will get about 3 or 4 cuts before you need to respray.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to Dollie llama

My first mat didn't stay sticky for very long! So I pulled out my 2nd one and it is soo sticky that sometimes it's hard to pull the die cuts off!...even with the little spatula!

FutureRN22boys
Veteran
FutureRN22boys
In response to Scrapkaty

wash it

scrapadoodle24
Pro
scrapadoodle24
In response to FutureRN22boys

Hi ladies I found a real good trick on yuotube it says to use a 2-way glue called "Zig" I used it and it works wonders!!!!!

Tenant
In response to FutureRN22boys

When the mat gets lots of paper fibers on it, I will use a baby wipe and clean it. Many times, this will reactivate the adhesive and it will work for a few more sessions of cutting. It all depends on the type of paper you are using. Some papers have lots of "Iint".

If this does not work, I will use ZIG wide tipped blue two way glue. When applied and let it dry, the glue is repositionable. MS has a version of this glue too....its a little expensive, but I use a coupon to get the price down a little.

I know Provo Craft has advised against using the spray adhesives, but never the ones that are applied (I know, I"m splitting hairs). As long as no adhesive gets on the rollers (and I've been doing this for more than 2 years), it won't gum up the works, as it were. (BTW, I have had experience with two other electronic cutters, and they encourage folks to re-sticky their mats to get more life from them....PC is the only company that has this "warning".)

flightgirl
Veteran
flightgirl
In response to Nonnie22girls

I washed mine, then after it dried completely, I covered the sides with masking tape and sprayed it with Kryons repositionable adhesive spray. Let it side for 15 minutes or so, and viola! Worked great. It may be quite sticky at first, so I take a piece of CS and press it on and pull it off a couple of times before cutting.

Kahlan
Kahlan 
Queen
Kahlan
In response to flightgirl

I would try to wash it first. Sometimes the sticky comes back. I have also used a ZIG glue pen and a scraper to put the sticky back. It worked for me.

I have a new thread opened and am looking for members for cricut owners. Here's the link:

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/14946...

Ynanayoung
Diva
Ynanayoung
In response to Kahlan

My mats don't stay sticky either. I use Scotch tape on the corners and sometimes halfway down on the sides.

RosieNJ
Veteran
RosieNJ
In response to Ynanayoung

I just had this problem yesterday and remember someone telling me to use my stamp cleaner on the mat and rub very lightly. At first after I did it I thought..oh (^**&..because it wasn't sticky but when it dried it was sticky again.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to Nonnie22girls

• Nonnie22girls Said:
When the mat gets lots of paper fibers on it, I will use a baby wipe and clean it. Many times, this will reactivate the adhesive and it will work for a few more sessions of cutting. It all depends on the type of paper you are using. Some papers have lots of "Iint".

If this does not work, I will use ZIG wide tipped blue two way glue. When applied and let it dry, the glue is repositionable. MS has a version of this glue too....its a little expensive, but I use a coupon to get the price down a little.

I know Provo Craft has advised against using the spray adhesives, but never the ones that are applied (I know, I"m splitting hairs). As long as no adhesive gets on the rollers (and I've been doing this for more than 2 years), it won't gum up the works, as it were. (BTW, I have had experience with two other electronic cutters, and they encourage folks to re-sticky their mats to get more life from them....PC is the only company that has this "warning".)

I just tried this for my mat that came with my Expression I received for Christmas. I washed it with dish soap first and it is very sticky now. I also saw this solution posted over on cricut.com.

bluucaca
Diva
bluucaca
In response to scrapnread

wet wipes work great also let it dry before using it or before putting the plastic back on it

New Kid On the Block
In response to bluucaca

First I clean the mat well with a sponge, let it dry. Then I take it outside and give it a quick spray over with adhesive spray. The spray can be purchased at any Walmart, and is used to hold stencils to the wall while you work with them. Use very light sprays - if you spray too much I find it's hard to get your paper off later without ruining it. The adhesive spray seems to work many times before you need to re-spray again.

chris_tam
Diva
chris_tam
In response to marilyn2662

I also have tried the baby wipe method and it has really worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics