Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Stitching on Your Pages/Cards        (Topic#1493427)
Mrs. Tristan
Queen
Mrs. Tristan

ok so I'm in desperate need of someone to tell me how the heck do you stitch on the scrapbook paper/cards? do you use a handheld sewing machine? do you do every little stitch with a needle and thread? is there a product that helps you do the stitching?
I would really love to know.. because I've seen some of all your work and they all look magnificent! But some of you truly go all out with the stitching.. which definitely makes your work "POP". Please help me! Scrapbooker in distress!!!!

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Mrs. Tristan

I have used a needle and thread, with a template and without. I also use my regular old sewing machine.

nancyhyland
Idol
nancyhyland

Bazill has some really cools stitching templates for shapes and word.

But realistically you could just use a paper piercer or thick needle to make your holes over a print out of the shape or word.

for ZIG zag or straight stiches you could do either by hand or with a regular sewing machine. I want to get one of those hand held ones just cuz my regular one is kinda big and bulky and I don't have much room on my desk for it...
Products Referenced in This Post:

loriglen
Veteran
loriglen
In response to Nancy Keslin

I use needle & thread, no template....although I do poke guide holes in first...so that's kind of like a template.

I have a sewing machine but I've never used it on a LO because I typically stitch with DMC floss strands.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to nancyhyland

Mrs. Tristan.

On the LO you commented on, that stitching was on the paper. It is actually "inked". Not real stitches.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Nancy Keslin

I've used my regular, big sewing machine. I think the general consensus is those tiny craft sewing machines are junk.

I also have some tools for making holes and then hand stitching (although I haven't use them yet).

You can pierce holes in your paper with a needle or piercing tool and then stitch (or stitch directly with needle and thread without making holes first).

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to Bxr-Linda

All of the above.....

The only thing I will add is when you pierce the paper first, it helps to use a cork tile or a mousepad under your paper...IMO

Mrs. Tristan
Queen
Mrs. Tristan
In response to Patti Sylvia

wow! all your suggestions and help have been great... so the best thing to buy would be the cutterbee or the Bazzill Basics ?

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23

I have both of the above - my personal recommendation is to buy the Bazzill In Stitch templates. There is like 4 per pack and you just punch where the holes are and then stitch with needle and embroidery floss. The cutterbee was okay but I only used it twice. In my opinion, there is no comparison. Since I found the templates from Bazzill , almost every page has stitching, I love it!

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to peenut_23

I really love the Bazzill stitches templates as well. I have the flourish one and it comes with several different options. I use a paper piercer, and then a needle and thread. One of the MM piercers has a threader on the end and needles inside it which makes it kind of easy. I use about 2-3 strands of DMC embroidery floss.

Mrs. Tristan
Queen
Mrs. Tristan
In response to Crazydiamond

ok.. so i know you can buy Bazzill online.. practically anywhere that sales scrapbooking... but what about at the store? I would love to be able to start this technique on my layouts that I'm working on right now for my little cousin's birthday gift and I have to finish it by Saturday. (almost done)... would Michael's or Joann's or Beverly's have it? we really don't have a local "scrapbooking store" here.. so either those 3 or target/walmart or online is where i get my stuff... any ideas?

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia

The Michaels or Joann's in my area doesn't carry the Bazzill templates....I purchaed 1 of mine from my lss....and the other ones I got right here at the superstore....I'm not familiar with Beverly's....I think I saw some at AC Moore too, before they closed here. Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you...from what I understand they carry a large variety of scrapping stuff too...

jenluvs2scrap
Pro
jenluvs2scrap
In response to nancyhyland

this is sooooo cool. i've been wanting to buy a sewing machine myself. but thanks to your post i can get both. i am new to scrapbooking myself and is trying to build my own empire. thanks for posting the photos too.

scrapmonique
Resident
scrapmonique
In response to jenluvs2scrap

I always hand sew with DMC floss. Mostly I work with templates. Recently I printed some of the Bazzill templates in order to make my own (over here in the Netherlands I never saw a place where I could buy them .

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to scrapmonique

I use an old singer sewing machine for straight stitches. This machine is from 1958 - it only does straight stitches!

I hand sew anything else. And I use DMC Floss

I don't have any templates.

WendyG-SA
Diva
WendyG-SA
In response to scrappycath

Well fancy supplies are limited here in Durban, South Africa. I haven't seen any of the Bazzill templates or any other sewing templates at any of our lss (you US based ladies are soooo lucky) so I personally just draw what ever I want freehand and then use a paper piercer and sew with iether floss or embroidery thread. I kinda like the freedom that gives me because I see such wonderful ideas on this site and then go and try them out myself.
Good luck and enjoy sewing.

Mrs. Tristan
Queen
Mrs. Tristan
In response to WendyG-SA

well... after i read all the answers i recieved here... i decided just to try out and see if target, walmart, joann's, michael's, and beverly's had any... and some stores didn't even know what the heck i was talking about... so it's to assume that unless i go to a scrapbooking store (non locally) or order these online.. i will not be able to obtain them any other way :o( any other suggestions? where else i can check?

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean

The only place I've seen the Bazzill templates is ACMoore. Maybe they have one in your area.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to traceyjean

I don't use DMC floss for my hand stitching. This brand is great for embroidery or cross stitching, but the cheaper brands are great for scrapbooking. The kind I use doesn't have loose fibers, so it looks cleaner.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to johnsusan8

I tried stitching once with my sister's little itty bitty craft sewing machine...Not the best job, but cute. I'm going to get hold of some of those BG templates! They look neat! I do have a paper piercer and floss....now I just need those templates...
But I have to admit one time I cheated...I have colored rub ons of "stitched" hearts, flowers, and leaves and used them! They sure did look like the real thing...almost!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics