Username Post: How do you store your buttons?        (Topic#1493881)
luv2scrap:)
Guru

I have been trying to get my stash organized better. I finally decided on how to store several of my different embellies, but I am having trouble deciding on how to store my buttons. I would really appreciate any advice on how you have yours stored, and whether or not you like it. Thanks in advance for any help!

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to luv2scrap:)

I use a lot of buttons, so I store them by color, since that is how I look for them. I use a big clear storage box with lots of dividers. I used to use an embroidery floss storage box, but now have too many buttons for that so had to go to a box that's bigger. Kinda like the one here--

Products Referenced in This Post:

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 01-27-09 09:21 AM
In response to scrappinmac

I used the pegboard jars for a while. That actually works really good but I found I was buying way to many so I have gone to a color system. I have a drawer for each color with a small divided box in each drawer. I put buttons, brads, misc embellishments in the divided box and slide in the drawer with flowers, alphabet stickers, lace and embroidery thread. If my box/drawer is full - I don't need to buy anything else. It really helps me when I do go on a supply run because I can quickly open each drawer and see what I have and what I need to restock on.

FutureRN22boys
Veteran
FutureRN22boys

i have a tackle box (from the fishing section) and it came with 2 little boxes (along with 3 larger ones) but the little ones are PERFECT for buttons, i think. I use the tackle box for brads, eyelets and buttons. and they are usually cheaper than the craft boxes that are the same size

Tenant

I currently store my buttons the same way as scrappinmac and sort them according to colour. If you have lots of buttons and lots of space, you could put them in jars and display them in your work area. If you go to a fabric store, they store their buttons often in long clear tubes, that may be also another option, and they can be kept in a drawer or something.

Guru

• scrappinmac Said:
I use a lot of buttons, so I store them by color, since that is how I look for them. I use a big clear storage box with lots of dividers. I used to use an embroidery floss storage box, but now have too many buttons for that so had to go to a box that's bigger. Kinda like the one here--

Everyone has such great ideas! I think I am the most interested in something like this box. I don't have enough space for individual jars or containers, and I am looking to only store buttons by themselves and not combine them with my other embellies of similar colors. I am very interested in this container, but any other suggestions on different containers you use would be really appreciated.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 01-27-09 09:56 AM

behind my chair By J3Mel

the pegboard jars are smaller than a pint jar. The are to the left on the wall. Just a thought if you have any wall space. I used mine a lot more when I had them out and could see them better.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to j3Mel

fishing tackle box with dividers for color

All Red...
Mayor
All Red...
In response to Just G

I store mine in clear jars so I remember to use them.

This shelf is right above my desk and I can reach them easily

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to All Red...

All of my plain buttons are stored together in a jar. My shaped buttons are stored in a divided box. It's probably not the best system, but I really don't have room for a ton of little jars, containers, etc. It works for me, as I don't use buttons too often.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps

I store mine by color in baby food jars. I just took the labels off and washed them.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Becky Scraps

I have tons of buttons, because it's my fave embellie. I store mine in containers I got at J's. I think they are called "snap and stack." Essentially, they are round containers that snap together. The bottom container is divided into two sections and the top two containers are just one open area. Then they all snap together to form one tower that has a handle on top for ease of carrying and movement. I have them sorted by color and have two of these sets. I love it!

For me, I found that the small divided trays were a hassle. As I searched for the perfect button in a particular color, my clumsy fingers would knock buttons into the section next to it. I think I am just a klutz, but that is why the snapware works better for me.

Edited by siameseplease on 01-27-09 11:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

I did a quick search and found them. They are made by snapware. If you go to their website and click under "craft storage", you will see the different ones.

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath

I use re-purposed/recycled jelly jars.

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 01-27-09 11:37 AM
In response to scrappycath

My colored buttons are seperated and stored by color in a little box with deviders...my other buttons are in the bottom of a large crystal vase that I keep silk flowers in ..the flowers I use on my LO's....They used to be in a jar, but I put them in the vase, and it looks beautiful..so there they will stay.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to rtay

I have little coloured plastic boxes with lockable lids from Ikea. They come in a pack of 6 colours and I store my buttons by colour in these. They're stackable too so they are perfect for me.

Guru

• siameseplease Said:
I did a quick search and found them. They are made by snapware. If you go to their website and click under "craft storage", you will see the different ones.

Thanks so much! These look really neat--I might have to think about using one of these! Thanks so much everyone for all of the great ideas! I love seeing how other people have organized their stuff!

scrappymomof4
Veteran
scrappymomof4

I have a big metal basket that has a very small weave to it. I just dumped all my buttons in there. I can see the colors and they don't fall through the small weave. And I guess I am a weirdo..but i love taking my hand and sifting through them. Whacko...I know! lol

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to scrappymomof4

I bought what is called a Button Bank at J's. It is one round hard plastic container with several pie shaped sections. The top has a plastic lid with a pie shaped section that flips up. The flip up part is just a little smaller than the sections in the container. If you want a pink button, you turn the top until the opening is even with the pink section, etc. It wasn't very expensive.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics