Username Post: Difference between repositionable or permanent        (Topic#1494365)
Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

So I'm addicted to my Xyron X. I normally buy the permanent refils for it, but I accidentally bought a repositionable one the last time. (I just noticed today and can't really return it anymore.) Today I'm almost out of the permanent one, so I was wondering will the repositionable one work just as well?

Do I need to worry about stuff falling off the pages with it? Or is it only repositionable for a certain amount of time and then it becomes permanent?

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Mulan05

repositionable means you can lift it up and move it...for how long depends on the product.

permanent means once it's down it's down and will tear the paper underneath it

Edited by GTGW on 01-31-09 11:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapali22
Expert
scrapali22
In response to Just G

I would think it would work fine, I think with things like that the longer they are attched the mor esticky they get...i think!!

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05
In response to scrapali22

Excellent! Thanks so much for answering! I'm quite happy that it will be more sticky if I just leave it on the page.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 01-31-09 12:13 PM
In response to Mulan05

I had to call Xyron once with this very same question (I had mistakenly bought a repositionable cartridge instead of a permanent one). The lady told me that yes, the repositionable adhesive eventually becomes permanent, the amount of time depends on the humidity where you live.

Hope this helps!

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to Ami G

This is very good to know. I may start getting "Repositionable" adhesive for now on.

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to Ami G

Well, that's interesting! Thanks for asking them that Ami! I use the repositionable all the time because it works better for me and my inability to get my title letters on straight the first time. None of them have fallen off yet, but it's only been a few years.

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to CatScrapsHere

Great to know! I'm definitely going to go the repositionable route now!

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05
In response to Dancing Queen

yeah I'm going to stick with repositionable then. I tried it out and it's great so far. Who knew buying the wrong one would turn out to be such a good thing?

Thanks!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Mulan05

I sure wish that they would make the packaging a bit differently. I bought the repositionable refill once, and didn't notice until I was all done making bookmarks for 30 family members, all living in Hawaii. I will always wonder if the adhesive stood up to the humidity over there!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 01-31-09 03:30 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
I sure wish that they would make the packaging a bit differently. I bought the repositionable refill once, and didn't notice until I was all done making bookmarks for 30 family members, all living in Hawaii. I will always wonder if the adhesive stood up to the humidity over there!

Well, I live in Georgia, which is like living in soup most of the time. The pages I did using the repositionable are holding up perfectly, so hopefully that eases your mind!

I agree about the packaging. It's too easy to pick up the wrong kind!!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to Ami G

I wouldn't use anything but repositionable in the tape runners or Xyron . I live in Louisiana and have not had any problems with humidity affecting
adherance (and boy, do we have humidity here along the coast!) No one I know here has ever said they had problems, either.

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to johnsusan8

This is a good thread. I think I'll buy the repositionable from now one since it becomes permanent. It will give me time to move things around if I have to. Thanks to all who asked the question!

Scrap Happy 2006
Mayor
Scrap Happy 2006
In response to ASiverson

I switched my X from the perm to repositionable tonight and I have discovered that the repositionable one is easier to use. I had a hard time getting the perm stuff to stick to my stuff, even with rubbing. The repositionable one attaches much better. As far as the adhesiveness, it just means that you have time to work with it before it stickes for good. Once left on your LO for a certain amout of time it is stuck as well as perm.

karichelle
Resident
karichelle
In response to Scrap Happy 2006

I bought some "temporarily repositionable" mounting squares made by Scrapbook Adhesives (the brand with the hearts) and I wasn't pleased with them at all. They are supposed to be permanent after 5 minutes, and even after 12 hours, the pictures were falling off of the pages and sliding around in the book. I had to re-do all of the pages I had used that adhesive on with the permanent (which I find I can usually reposition if I don't press it down too hard). I wish I could take that stuff back because I spent $4 on it and it's terrible. :P

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 02-01-09 10:15 AM
In response to karichelle

• karichelle Said:
I bought some "temporarily repositionable" mounting squares made by Scrapbook Adhesives (the brand with the hearts) and I wasn't pleased with them at all. They are supposed to be permanent after 5 minutes, and even after 12 hours, the pictures were falling off of the pages and sliding around in the book. I had to re-do all of the pages I had used that adhesive on with the permanent (which I find I can usually reposition if I don't press it down too hard). I wish I could take that stuff back because I spent $4 on it and it's terrible. :P

I'm not sure about other brands--this thread is talking about the Xyron brand cartridges.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Ami G

I also bought the repositionable by accident once and I haven't found much of a difference-nothing falling off or anything!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics