Username Post: Stamp Question        (Topic#1494761)
Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife

So I have been scrappin for about 5 years, but I never stamped...I know, it's sad, but I was taught by a Creative Memories person. Anyway, I went to a Scrapbook Weekend at Ski Liberty and I won a huge tote filled with hundreds of scrapping items. One of the things in the tote was a set of clear stamps, the acrylic blocks to put them on and some color box chalk. Can someone tell me how to apply the chalk to the stamp? Do I turn the stamp upside down and smear the chalk on? I am confused? Thanks for your help, and please don't laugh too hard at me!

kaye222
Governor
kaye222
In response to Matthews Wife

Love stamping....I dont use chalk though....so im not really sure if it will stick like you want....?
I use stazon and colorbox....
the colorbox is great for embossing....and the stazon dries quickly...just know sometimes it doesnt come off the clear stamp...

So basically you apply the ink pad to the stamp really heavy to get all the parts and then stamp....

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife
In response to kaye222

Ok, so use an ink pad, then what are these little cats eye looking color box chalks for?

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife

They don't sell them here or I would show you what they look like. Thanks for answering my question!

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife

Oh Wait, here it is. How do I decide what kind of ink pads to use?

Products Referenced in This Post:

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

That's chalk ink...you can use that for stamping. It looks more like chalk than ink when it dries.

Stick the clear stamp to the block and then I just tap the ink pad on the stamp to cover it. Then stamp like normal--press straight down and straight up. Don't rock the stamp back and forth or you'll blur the image. To clean clear stamps I usually just rinse them right away with water. If you stain them, don't worry. It doesn't affect the image at all. If you use pigment ink you may need to use some stamp cleaner on them.

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to scraprabbit

To use regular chalk or embossing powder you can use Versa Mark Stamp Pad...it is clean when you put it on and you can leave it just that way to make like a water mark on the paper that is a little bit glossy or you can apply the chalk right away. If you use the embossing powder you need to use a heat gun or air dryer to set the embossing powder. You will see it get glossy as you melt it with the hot air. Keep the dryer or heat gun moving to avoid burning the paper or melting velium or any other embellishments. Or a different use you can use acrylic craft paint on your clear stamps too. All this stuff washes off with soapy water. Some use wipes without lanolin like in baby wipes. To apply the paint you can use a foam brush or smear the paint out thin on wax paper or a plastic plate and use that just like you would a stamp pad. Like above don't rock the stamp or the image will always smear. I paint chip board and then use my stamps to stamp a design with the same type of paint ontop of that background. It you use markers to paint the images on the stamp use the Marvey Markers. If they puddle up or don't apply a solid covering on the stamp use an eraser to remove any oil that might be from the factory on your stamps. I have also used Windex on my stamps when at a crop I use fragrance free wipes. I have also got from the laundry department of the grocery store the Clorox Bleach pen and apply that to the clear or rubble stamps and with very light pressure apply that to a test piece of paper. It bleaches the design into the paper by removing some of the coloring. Depending on the colors they use your green paper might bleach to a lighter green design or a yellow or orange or even red design. I don't let this go into my scrapbooks until the paper is dry for a few days and I don't let it touch my photos. If you are not sure you can spray the paper with an archival mist also. Each time i use this technique I get exciting effects. This is great for making cards, then you don't have to worry about the archival properties. Enjoy your new stamps!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to KITswpa

Ditto what Sarah said! It's not chalk what you have, but chalk ink. I use it for stamping sometimes, it works just fine. It takes longer to dry than dye ink though, so take care not to smudge it.

armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper
In response to Here Kitty

I have been scrapping for nearly 10 years and was introduced to stamping about 3 years ago and absolutely love it. There is a lot you can do with stamps to make different looks, and the wonderful thing about it is that they are reusable!

wimpygirl
Veteran
wimpygirl
In response to armyscraper

I love my acrylic stamps!!! and Kit has some great ideas. I will keep those in mind. tfs

Janaqins
Veteran
Janaqins
In response to wimpygirl

Price Alert!!! Costco carries boxes of 5 acrylic stamp sheets for $20 (which is a great price), but when I was there yesterday they were marked down to $9.96. That's $2.00 a sheet! Don't know if it's national or just local, but it's worth checking out.

ilinacrouse
Resident
ilinacrouse

• Matthews Wife Said:
So I have been scrappin for about 5 years, but I never stamped...I know, it's sad, but I was taught by a Creative Memories person. Anyway, I went to a Scrapbook Weekend at Ski Liberty and I won a huge tote filled with hundreds of scrapping items. One of the things in the tote was a set of clear stamps, the acrylic blocks to put them on and some color box chalk. Can someone tell me how to apply the chalk to the stamp? Do I turn the stamp upside down and smear the chalk on? I am confused? Thanks for your help, and please don't laugh too hard at me!

I stamp with versamark ink, and then with a paint brush, or the chalk applicator apply chalk, and with soft bigger paint brush clean the excess off.

ilinacrouse
Resident
ilinacrouse

• Matthews Wife Said:
Oh Wait, here it is. How do I decide what kind of ink pads to use?

I just saw that you were talking about chalk inks.
I have read somewhere that is not recommended using chalk inks on clear stamps. Just FYI

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to ilinacrouse

Chalk Inks can stain your acrylics but any kind of dark colored ink might stain them.

I would use dye based inks because they will be the easiest to clean off of your stamps. Some people like the crisper image from pigment based inks and I do have one black pigment pd I use alot. Solvent based inks like Staz-On produce a nice permanent image but some people have reported Staz-On and/or Staz-On cleaner melting their acrylic stamps. With most anything, clean the stamps right away with a stamp cleaner or dab on a wet paper towel.

HTH!

You might also want to check in the library to see if there are any more tips on stamping. Amy always has good tips too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics