Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Best Detergent for Dark Colors?        (Topic#1495133)
NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

Does anyone have experience washing black clothes? My daughter wears mostly black and hates when they fade or get a grayish cast to them. I tell her it is because of our extremely hard water. I have tried adding vinegar to the rinse water but wanted to know if any or the detergents that claim to be especially for dark colors really work. I also am considering investing in a water softener but as I rent this place not sure if I really want to go to the expense.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 02-07-09 01:00 PM
In response to NMlady

Tide best detergent for everyone

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000
In response to theboydbunch

I use Purex because I am really sensitive to prefumes/dyes.

I always put a scoop of Oxi Clean in with my detergant. It keeps my colors brighter..maybe it would help with dark colors too??

Good luck!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to lovestoscrap3000

Thank you ladies!

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to NMlady

There is something called 20muleteam borax that I use on my dark clothes. But I am also careful to wash black only in a load - keeps lint from them. I also wash black Wranglers wrong side out, and dry them after I turn them right side out. Be sure to use a larger wash setting so there'll be plenty of water cleaning and rinsing your clothes. And be sure your dryer filter is cleaned of lint before you put the black things in. Hope this helps.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to okiegrandma

I'll have to remind her to turn her shirts and pants inside out. She's not going to like it when I tell her she needs to buy one of each of the detergents to try out.

scrappinmonkey
Queen
scrappinmonkey
In response to NMlady

Doesn't Cheer make a detergent especially for darks???

OR you could use some RIT dye..never did that myself, just a suggestion.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to scrappinmonkey

Yes Cheer does but I want to know if anyone has experience with it before we spend money on it. As for the Rit, we'd have to constantly be dieing and I really don't want black die staining up my washer or transferring to other clothes.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 02-07-09 03:35 PM
In response to NMlady

i use woolite for darks when I do a load of just darks (dress pants, black socks)

the colors faded with tide.

mil uses tide. our clothes, esp dh's black pants started to fade. then got the woollite for darks after talking with my mom.

my clothes seem fine with Purex. I don't notice any fading.

Mom to the Boys
Governor
Mom to the Boys
In response to ELynn

that new Tide is supposed to be good for colored clothes, its much more expensive than regular tide but i guess if her clothes are not getting faded its worth it. Tell her only wash in cold cold cold (I do all my wash except towels and undergarments in cold anyways)

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Mom to the Boys

I'll have her start with the Woolite for Darks since it worked for you.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 02-07-09 03:49 PM
In response to Mom to the Boys

I recently read some penny pinching sites about making your own clothes soap. I tried a batch and I am NOT going back to regular store bought soap!!

Even the kids noticed the difference in the softness of the clothes (I did not change any of my rinse/softening habits). I have been very pleased with how it has washed all items from delicate to jeans, from sweats to bright sweaters.

taeklund
Governor
taeklund
In response to Keys

• BibleKitty Said:
I recently read some penny pinching sites about making your own clothes soap. I tried a batch and I am NOT going back to regular store bought soap!!

Even the kids noticed the difference in the softness of the clothes (I did not change any of my rinse/softening habits). I have been very pleased with how it has washed all items from delicate to jeans, from sweats to bright sweaters.

Would you be willing to share this recipe? As well as your rinse/softening habits?

Tracy S.
Queen
Tracy S.
In response to taeklund

• taeklund Said:
  • BibleKitty Said:

Would you be willing to share this recipe? As well as your rinse/softening habits?

I use my own too and love it.. The clothes get really clean and smell really good.

I posted the recipe on my blog
http://www.scrapbook.com/blogs/133823/view/108 563.html

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 02-07-09 05:15 PM
In response to taeklund

• taeklund Said:
  • BibleKitty Said:

I used
1 bar Ivory soap - grated or melted w/hot water
2 c. baking soda (some recipes call for washing soda, this is plain old baking soda)
1 c borax
2 c Oxyclean

I put everything in a 5 gallon bucket. I used hot water to mix everything (tea kettle hot) then filled the rest of the bucket with tap hot water. I use about 1/2 cup for a full load. It does gel on top so it needs to be mixed before each use.

$2 = 5 gallons.

I either use white vinegar or natural softener. I dilute the softener to 1/4 strength. Now that we are using the homemade soap I may stop the softener since it doesn't need it.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Keys

Very interesting

sibboo
sibboo 
Idol
sibboo
In response to NMlady

I use woolite on all my darks. I never have problems with fading.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
I'll have her start with the Woolite for Darks since it worked for you.

I use this too and I really like it. Dh and I have lots of dark/black clothes between us. We use Purex for most of our loads, but the blacks do fade with that.

spend2much
Diva
spend2much
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
Yes Cheer does but I want to know if anyone has experience with it before we spend money on it. As for the Rit, we'd have to constantly be dieing and I really don't want black die staining up my washer or transferring to other clothes.

My friend ALWAYS uses her washing machine to dye clothes followed w/a complete wash cycle using only water and BLEACH to avoid hidden dye from getting onto other clothes and this method hasn't ruined any of her clothes.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to spend2much

• spend2much Said:
  • NMlady Said:

My friend ALWAYS uses her washing machine to dye clothes followed w/a complete wash cycle using only water and BLEACH to avoid hidden dye from getting onto other clothes and this method hasn't ruined any of her clothes.

Has she used black in the washer? It just scares me.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics