Username Post: how do you organize, store, protect your flowers?        (Topic#1495447)
IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 02-10-09 08:02 PM

I am brand new to scrapping. Just a couple weeks into this new hobby and I already see the handwriting on the wall that I am going to collect too much stuff....

What's the best way to store those fake flowers (I don't know the scrapping name for them) used for embellishment? Do you just leave them in the jars they came in and throw them in a drawer. That's my current method....but there's gotta be a better way.

Also, how do you store the brads? I hate the little tiny plastic containers they're packaged in. I want to transfer them to something else but I am not sure what. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to IzzyB

Some I keep in their packaging containers and some I use plastic jars for or smaller Sterilite containers.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to DawnInAZ

I have some of mine in a McDonald's salad container. The rest are mostly in their original packages in a bin on a shelf.

cidscraps
Idol
cidscraps
In response to johnsusan8

for flowers...I tend to leave in orginal pkgs

for brads, I use the little plastic divided organizers that you find in the sporting goods section of wally world by the fishing stuff. they seem to be cheaper there than the ones they sell in the craft department...hth

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to cidscraps

I don't have many brads, so I just use a small clear plastic divided storage box.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to johnsusan8

I use the craft mate bead storage boxes. It works great for brads and eyelets!! I also have a few tackle boxes for larger brads and metal embellies!! works great!

Froggarita
Tenant
Froggarita
In response to SmartyPants

FOr me if they are not in the prima bottles then i put them into a floss/bead organizer avaiable at any craft store and walmart for 1.99 It has 17 areas to sort out your stuff and none will fall out or mix up because the lid keeps them on tight. I have all my embellishments, flowers, diecuts etc like this...i label the end with my brother labeler so i can find what i need quickly. HTH!

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to Froggarita

I put my flowers in jelly/jam jars. When the jelly is all gone, I wash the jar out and separate the flowers by color. They look very pretty all lined up on a shelf. It's kind of like the Prima bottles you buy some flowers in. I do it to the flowers that don't come in jars orginally.

My brads are in a plasic divided case. Got it for .99 somewhere and it has 10 compartments -- just the right size for brads.

Chell Rae
Pro
Chell Rae
In response to provinca

If you want to separate them by colors, mason jars work well. If you don't mind digging around, I use a plastic shoe box, and sometimes it does get messy.hmmm, I may have to start collecting mason jars, the problem then becomes where to store them.

Something I did recently with my flowers (and ribbons) that I keep in the shoe box, was to use ziplock sandwich bags and separate the colors into the bags, then place them in the shoe box. Now if I am looking for a specific color it is easier for me to locate.

Edited by Chell Rae on 03-03-09 07:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ilinacrouse
Resident
ilinacrouse
In response to Chell Rae

I put mine in a jar, or empty boxes from stamps (those from Stampin' Up!) As well sometimes if I feel too creative I make a box. I just make sure they are not squished in whatever I put them and there is enough space.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to ilinacrouse

Right now my flowers are in mason jars, but if I get a lot more I won't have the room for the jars. Hmmm.

As for brads/eyelets, I LOVE the little tic-tac type containers you can get in the craft section of Walmart. I think there's 20 or so in a plastic case, so you can separate out the colors or whatever.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics