Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: stitching...        (Topic#1495505)
forever_and_always
Expert
forever_and_always

Alright, I want to attempt stitching in my layouts... but i have NO IDEA where to start! What should i buy? What do i need to know?

Any pros out there that can answer these questions? =] Any help is appreciated!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-11-09 12:26 PM
In response to forever_and_always

I'm not a pro but a scrapping friend told me about Cutter Bees rotary paper piercers... they are great and then I just use a regular embroidery needle and floss.
one tip: if you put a mouse pad under your paper when you run the piercer it will make just the right size holes.

Sandra Perdomo
Veteran
Sandra Perdomo
In response to GMFTS

I love the look of stiching but not the time the takes, so what i do is use my sewing machine you can get one of the small one is about $20 and have a few stiches

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to GMFTS

The paper piercers are great. I own them and love them. However, they are not made to go through more than one piece of paper at a time. If you want to stitch through a couple of pieces, you can run the cutterbee across the top sheet, then go back over the holes with a paper piercer or needle til they are all the way through.

If you want an immediate, no money spent method, grab a ruler, your paper piercer, and a pencil. Lay the ruler down on the paper where you want the line to be. Move it over very slightly. Now, use a pencil and mark very lightly on the paper at even intervals (use the ruler as a guide to determine the intervals). Now move the ruler out of the way and use your paper piercer or needle to poke through your pencil holes. You can also just make the pencil marks free-hand if you don't want such a regimented or even look. I like stitching with embroidery floss as opposed to thread; it is thicker and shows up really well. Hope this helps!

forever_and_always
Expert
forever_and_always
In response to Sandra Perdomo

oh... i didn't know that you actually use a needle haha, how does that work? aren't most layouts paper?

sorry if these are really silly questions =\

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

If you want to machine stitch on LOs, just practice on scraps first. I want a Janome Sew Mini sewing machine. I've heard that they are the best for scrap/paper stitching and there's a couple of different stitches. I don't machine stitch right now because my current sewing machine is a PITA to use.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

Needles pierce paper, too. If you just want the look of stitching, you can draw it on there. Same idea...just draw lightly with a pencil first and go over it with your marker or pen to make the "stitches."

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath

I use my machine for straight stitching. When I hand stitch, I use a ruler or pencil a line where I want to stitch. I use a push pin to pierce the paper. I place corrugated cardboard behind the paper to make it easier to pierce.

Have fun!

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 02-11-09 01:25 PM
In response to scrappycath

You don't need to buy a paper piercer. I use a push pin and it works really well.

forever_and_always
Expert
forever_and_always
In response to CASBa

oh! thank you all very much =] it makes sense now haha

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories

I am not a pro. As a matter of fact I have not tried it yet. But I just brought a Crafting Sewing Machine at ACM for $3.00 normally around $9.00.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Mix-on the Memories

WOW,,,I can use my sewing machine to stitch on my LO's?? I never thought of that,,,,DH will be happy,,,,at least I'll get SOME use out of that sewing machine he bought and I never used Holly

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to CommaHolly

I just finished this - it took me about 4 hours to do all the stitching. I used a pin to pierce all the holes first then used embroidery thread and a needle to do it all.

Circle of Love
By SuperAllyFan

-Robbie-
Mayor
-Robbie-
In response to SuperAllyFan

I did this one a few months ago. What I did to make the flourish and the butterfly is to first draw it on a transparency. Then I just layed it over my paper where I wanted and poked holes right through the transparency. It is a bit tougher to punch through the transparency and I don't have a paper piercer, so I used an ice pick!! Hey... a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

Moments
By -Robbie-

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget
In response to -Robbie-

I am going to start using my sewing machine on my layouts... I have the perfect place to store it now so it will be handy for me to use more often...

Ma2Crzygrls
Pro
Ma2Crzygrls
In response to pearlygadget

I didn't really like the Cutter Bee paper piercer things. If you don't roll them straight (which is hard for me to do!) then its all messed up. Plus it doesn't pierce all the way through so you have to go through with your needle and poke through all the holes.

As a newbie though the mistake I made is purchasing just regular thread instead of embroidery floss. ( I think there is a difference right?) The embroidery floss is a little thicker so it is more visible than the other stuff.

My mom got a fancy sewing machine for quilting for x-mas so she said I could have her old one. I don't think it does a whole lot but its better than nothing and it will probably save me a ton of time from all that hand stitching. Then again it will probably take me a year to figure out how the darn thing works! LOL

Edited by Ma2Crzygrls on 02-11-09 06:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Ma2Crzygrls

• Ma2Crzygrls Said:
I didn't really like the Cutter Bee paper piercer things. If you don't roll them straight (which is hard for me to do!) then its all messed up. Plus it doesn't pierce all the way through so you have to go through with your needle and poke through all the holes.

As a newbie though the mistake I made is purchasing just regular thread instead of embroidery floss. ( I think there is a difference right?) The embroidery floss is a little thicker so it is more visible than the other stuff.

My mom got a fancy sewing machine for quilting for x-mas so she said I could have her old one. I don't think it does a whole lot but its better than nothing and it will probably save me a ton of time from all that hand stitching. Then again it will probably take me a year to figure out how the darn thing works! LOL

if the sewing machine has a ZIG zag stitch or an X stitch it would show up more,,,,

Holly

-Robbie-
Mayor
-Robbie-
In response to CommaHolly

The embroidery floss is thicker than regular thread. I used two strands together so that it showed up better.

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 02-11-09 09:08 PM

• forever_and_always]Alrigh t, I want to attempt stitching in my layouts... but i have NO IDEA where to start! What should i buy? What do i need to know?

Any pros out there that can answer these questions? = Said:
Any help is appreciated!

I think you may like In stichz from Bazzil, I bought a very complete kit of this colection at qvc (the case, floss, mat, piercing toll and templates) and you can find more templates here at scrapbook.com.It is really easy to use and your stichs are gonna be 100% handmade (to me that's important). I also saw a little machine at wal-mart seem to be good option also.

Edited by naf on 02-11-09 09:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to naf

Just stay away from those little machines made for scrapbookers. They jam and are very hard to use. (In fact at a ahow, I tried one and it kept jamming --and only had a straight forward stitch. The demonstrator did it and it kept jamming. SHe said it happens sometimes and you just have to get the hang of it.) When I use my regular machine, it never jams and it has a whole bunch of fancy stitches--even ZIG zag (this is a giggle b/c the made for scrappers one didn't even have ZIG zag!). So it you don't have a sewing machine, go to WM or wherever and buy a cheap regular machine--like a Brothers. You may not sew hems but you'll love it on your pages!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics