Username Post: Prayer shawl ministry        (Topic#1496621)
Guru

Is anyone here part of a prayer shawl ministry? My DD wants to start one at our church but so far only one lady, besides the two of us, has shown any interest. Any suggestions about getting one started?

Bran
Bran 
Mayor
Bran
  • Bran on 02-24-09 09:09 AM
In response to moodymolly

I'm sorry. I have no clue what this is. Hopefully someone on here can help.

olliebelle20
Expert
olliebelle20
In response to Bran

my church in illinois does this. when they were getting started the ladies that started it said that they would teach anyone that wanted to learn how to knit. it has been a huge hit with our women's group. maybe this would help you too.

Guru
In response to olliebelle20

I think part of the problem is that we don't attend any of the three services in the main church. We attend what is called a "Come As You Are" service where it is more modernized than the regular services. Not only that but we don't "socialize" with them, can't afford to attend the "Night Out" they have every once in a while and the like.
Do you think it would help if we had something about it published in the church newsletter or maybe even the Sunday bulletin? She's young but wants to help those who really need it and absolutely loves to crochet and is getting more experienced at knitting as she goes along. I love to crochet but because of my RA I can't do it for more than about 30 minutes at a time and believe me I can't get much done in that 30 minutes.

New Kid On the Block

A couple of ladies started a prayer shawl ministry at our church about a year ago. They put the information in the church bullentin, newsletter and they also announced it during the service announcement time. They "advertised" it saying you did not have to know how to knit or crochet but would be taught along the way. We have not only made prayer shawls but have made "prayer mufflers" that we gave to about 80 girls in a girl's home at Christmas time. We are now working on "prayer baby caps" for newborns to give to our local hospital. We annoint and pray over these items. We are still making shawls and most of us have become addicted to knitting even though we did not know how to knit a year ago. This is such a wonderful ministry and I commend your dd in this. My 10 yo dd has learned to knit also. God bless you both and your ministry.

identicaltriplets
Veteran
identicaltriplets
In response to tonniawilliams

Our church has a prayer shawl ministry though I can't attend because it is on the same night as my Bible study. They hold it once a month on Tuesday nights. I would love to participate, so I think I am going to do them at home. I have thought of getting a group together during the day too because maybe others cannot make the evening one. Our church posts it in the newsletter, the bulletin, and on our e-mail group for announcements. Works great. Blessings to you both!

Tracy428
Expert
Tracy428

Another lady and I have started one at our church. We did put it in the newsletter and bulletin and made announcements. Also, I have some looms that I got at Michaels Crafts that I have available to those who don't knit or crochet to use. very easy. We're also using different patterns from different places. We meet once a month during coffee hour after church and support each other if we get hung up on something. I'm hoping our youth group can make cards to go with them and when we have some complete to do a blessing of the shawls during the service.
Hope some of that helps.

MrsRabon
Expert
MrsRabon
In response to Tracy428

I am starting one up at my church....Lion brand has some great books on prayer shawl ministries

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to MrsRabon

My mom is starting this up at her church. She started it by having one made, having it blessed, and giving that one to someone that needed it. It peaked some interest. She also had something written about it in the newsletters and bulletins. She is making a few herself, but there's many older ladies at her church, so finding volunteers to make them, as well, wasn't too difficult.

I think it's just a matter of getting the word out.

DreamGal
Tenant
DreamGal
In response to angie girl

I am in a prayer shawl ministry at my church. We meet every Wednesday from 11:30-2:00, bring a sack lunch and create. We make shawls, preemie blankets and chemo caps for a local hospital. There are 15 of us, on days we can all get together (we have snow birds who come home to roost in spring!). Our ages range from 30-84. We announce in bulletin, with displays, and the best advertisement..giving one to a family that needs God's warmth in their lives.

Sassy Suzi
Diva
Sassy Suzi
In response to DreamGal

We have Prayer Quilts at our church. We like these because it can go to a female or male and also make them smaller for children.

cheball
Diva
cheball
In response to Sassy Suzi

I belong to the Prayer Shawl ministry at my Church. We make shawls, lap throws, baby blankets, and chemo caps. We currenty have a nice stockpile of knitted and/or crocheted items so we did not meet this month. I am working on a purple shawl currently.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics