Username Post: Anyone have tips to stop chalk from smearing        (Topic#1497441)
Megz1485
Tenant
Megz1485

I am having troubles with chalks and perfect pearls smearing on my pages any suggestions???

New Kid On the Block
In response to Megz1485

When I use chalks and Perfect Pearls I seal them with Krylon Preserve It since I use them in my scrapbooks as well as cards. I find it works really well and stops them from smearing. I usually leave the pages/cards out for awhile til they're dry, as long as possible. It's in a spray can found in the acrylic paint section of Michael's. The first time I went looking for it I had no idea what I was looking for and took forever to find it! Hope this helps!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to papertales

I have "blotted" the page with a clean piece of computer paper and then let the chalk set for 24 hrs.

But, the best solution is Stampin' Up chalks-they don't smear!!!!

Edited by Scrapbook Queen on 03-02-09 07:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ScrappyChrissy
Expert
ScrappyChrissy
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Krylon also makes a product called Fixative that keeps chalk, charcoal, pastel, etc. from smearing.:)

Rainbow8
Resident
Rainbow8
In response to ScrappyChrissy

Hairspray also works well if you're not using it around photos.

ScrappE
Diva
ScrappE
In response to Scrapbook Queen

• Scrapbook Queen Said:
I have "blotted" the page with a clean piece of computer paper and then let the chalk set for 24 hrs.

But, the best solution is Stampin' Up chalks-they don't smear!!!!

Does the chalk fluff off though?

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to ScrappE

All the scrapping chalks I've used don't smudge but other powders and coloring products sure can. There are a million brands of fixatives on the market. Any of them should work. Krylon has at least 3 (Fixatif, Clear Acrylic Coating, Preserve It!), Creative Imaginations has Super Seal, and there are zillion others. Look in the art dept of any craft store like J's or M's or H.L., Walmart may have it in the paint section, or some good LSS may have some too. Don't worry about the brand--but make sure it's archivally safe.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to scraperfect

If you don't want to use a fixative, you could also brayer the chalk. That will force the chalk into the paper fibres so it won't smear (as much).

grandmabear
Resident
grandmabear
In response to Megz1485

I use Q-tips to wipe off the excess chalks off my paper. i just throw them away when through. Use only chalks meant for paper crafts.
I can't use the spray because of my asthma.

New Kid On the Block
In response to grandmabear

If you are done writing with chalk and there is nothing on the page that can be damaged by doing this I have had good luck with spraying the page with a clear coat spray paint

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics