Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: pages won't lay flat        (Topic#1497965)
AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

I have only done 4 pages and I was sooo excited...until I put them into the album. Ugh. The pages won't lay flat (they look like an S looking at them from the end of the book). Seems like it would only get worse the farther along I get.

I am using a 12x12 postbound book and my pages aren't real thick or bulky. I did trim the width of the paper a smidge which helped only a teeny bit. But now it looks terrible because the pages don't fit tight in the protectors and slide around. I'm getting so frustrated, I am fixin' to give up! Lol I thought putting the pages into the album was going to be the easy part

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to AmyWho

Do they lie flat on the table? I have that problem with some of my older LO's and it's because I used wet glue to on the LO's,,,Live and learn,,,,wet glue warps the paper! If that's not your issue, I'm not sure what is,,,Holly

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 03-08-09 05:43 AM
In response to CommaHolly

If your pages do lie flat on the table, you may have purchased page protectors that are NOT true 12x12 size. There is one or two brands that are weird this way.

What brand of album and page protectors are you using?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Tivi

I agree about the page protectors , some of them are not truly 12x12.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to Here Kitty

I only buy albums that are the strap hinge type (CM). You adhere your lo to the page. I've never had the type of problem you describe.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to johnsusan8

They do lay flat on the table and I didn't use glue, just those square photo mounts. I tried them in 3 different albums (one is Pioneer ) and they all do the same thing. I just used the page protectors that came in them. It's when I turn the pages, I can almost get my hand between the plastic and my paper.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I've never used forums before, it's fun!

Amy

Edited by Amesl on 03-08-09 10:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to AmyWho

Do you think your photo corners might be too close together?

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

Hmmm maybe. I try to keep it simple though, for example, one page only has one picture, a small card, and the ticket to the show. Maybe I should take it to a scrapbooking store? I'm not the best at describing things. If you were to see it, I'm sure you'd know right away what's wrong with it.

Edited by Amesl on 03-08-09 10:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

I'm pretty sure it's the brand of page protectors .

I'd suggest taking one of your LO's with you to a store, and trying it in a few brands of page protectors that will work in your album. Then whatever one fits best, buy that one.

The brand I've been buying is Tapestry, because those were the only ones I liked that M's sold. (Although keep in mind I just put those in every album and make them work in it instead of checking to see if they are compatible with the albums I buy).

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Mulan05

ditto what Mulan said I had problems with several page protectors fitting the LOs.
Also, make double sure your LOs are true 12x12. There is some paper sold that is a teeny bit longer on one side and that can mess you up when you try to put it in a protector.

Just slicing off a tiny bit of your LO can also alleviate your problem, just cut enough for it to fit though, not so much it's obvious.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Here Kitty

That's why I love these albums. True 12x12 and I never have this problem anymore!
Products Referenced in This Post:

CarrieBH
Veteran
CarrieBH
In response to scraprabbit

Hmm, I would think it's a page protector thing, too. However, you said that you trimmed them and they are still having the problem, which makes me think it's a glue issue. I've noticed some papers and vellum both wrinkle badly with "wet" glue as well...one of my pages did something similar. Do you have a tape runner you could try instead, or are you already using a tape runner? Duck brand works well with vellum (rarely shows), Dotto and Tombo are my other cost-effective favorites. CM makes a great tape runner, too, and it never gunks up (though I've heard both Dotto and Tombo have solved this problem and I can't wait to try their new formulas when my CM stuff runs out!)

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to CarrieBH

• CarrieBH Said:
Hmm, I would think it's a page protector thing, too. However, you said that you trimmed them and they are still having the problem, which makes me think it's a glue issue.

Actually she said:
  • Quote:
I did trim the width of the paper a smidge which helped only a teeny bit. But now it looks terrible because the pages don't fit tight in the protectors and slide around.

I think it's a page protector problem too.

carrievision
Veteran
carrievision
In response to tinacome

Yep, I've had this problem with the cheap $4 "12x12" albums you can get at AC Moore. They are definitely NOT 12x12. If I trim a half inch off the sides, it seems to fit okay. I'm never buying the cheapo albums again though. I like the American Crafts ones.

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to carrievision

I had the same problem with cheap Joann's albums. They had been purchased back when I was a newbie and did not "know."

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to DawnInAZ

Well, Dawn, there you are You usually have a pic of your pretty daughter up there, but now you have a pic of pretty you up there And what a pretty you you are! Holly

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

Well I took my stuff to a store that has employees who actually know what they are doing. Tried my LOs in a few different albums that she said were good brands, which worked much better but still didn't look good to me because the plastic doesn't lie completely flat against the paper even though the paper was flat, if that makes sense. So I ended up going with a 3-ring album instead. Problem solved! Not exactly the look I wanted for 2 page LOs, but no more headaches so I'm happy now. Now I get to redo the ones I trimmed trying to fix them. Now I have a good excuse to change stuff, heehee.

Thanks guys!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to AmyWho

Wellllll,,,,,,,now you get to buy more scrappy stuff,,,,and EVERYONE knows that's half the fun!!!!! (OK, so everyone knows thats MORE than half the fun!!!!)

Holly

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Um,,,,,,,but if the plastic lies completely COMPLETELY FLAT against the paper,,,,,won't it squash your embellies, flowers, ribbons and such???????????????????

Holly

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

Oh, I meant flat but not so gap-y in the center of the page like before. It is so hard for me to explain things sometimes lol. They're not tight. I see what you were sayin though, thanks.

And yes, yay for buying more stuff!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics