Username Post: Glimmer Mist        (Topic#1498811)
*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*

I think that the Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist is smarter than me. I've been playing around with it without much success... it always seems to bead up on the paper, not spray nicely. What's the trick to using this stuff???
Products Referenced in This Post:

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana
In response to *jesse*

I had never seen this stuff used till this past weekend. It did seem to bunch up on the paper they sprayed it on but it dried nicely, just took a while. I know someone else will be able to help you with more info.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to DivaDana

Sometimes when it beads up a whole bunch I lightly dab it with a paper towel. There are a ton of youtube videos about using this product. Check them out.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to Nancy Keslin

I have three bottles of the stuff and its been 21 dollars I wasted.

TexasMomOf4
Queen
TexasMomOf4
In response to Mother Goose

I too have been very annoyed with my one bottle. It worked nicely at the beginning, but the would clog and not spray at all. Then I found a tip, here I believe, to use a Q-tip. I tried it once and I loved how it turned out.

txscrapaddict
Tenant
txscrapaddict
In response to TexasMomOf4

Glimmer Mist does take some practice. Always clean the nozzle off with warm water after use to prevent future clogging. If your spray nozzle is clogging try running hot water over it & then cleaning it out with a slim needle. GM works differently with different types of paper, cardstock, cardboard, acrylic, metal and fabric. The farther away you hold the sprayer the thinner the mist. Several light thin coats will cover better without puddling & running than one heavy coat.

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 03-17-09 01:23 PM
In response to TexasMomOf4

Ok so I haven't tried it yet but I saw it used at a LSS while in FL last week. The lady there sprayed it from pretty far away - her project was on the floor - and it did ok. I looked at the deomos on the Tattered Angels website and they said you can brayer over your project to spread it more evenly...and yes they also showed dabbing with a paper towel to remove excess if you don't want to brayer... hope it works better for you and me when I finally try it.

Andrea

Resident
In response to ekip2

I used it on tags that I made at christmas on manilla paper like Tim Holtz uses and it did really good except the red leaked like crazy and made a mess. other papers seem to get bolchy for me to.

Cindy

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Mother Goose

• Mother Goose Said:
I have three bottles of the stuff and its been 21 dollars I wasted.

ditto. I've never been happy with my practice results. If it would only be a fine mist I'd be ok but there are always larger spots.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Sunnydi

I don't really like it either. I have two bottles and one performs better than the other, but even the better one is still not a mist. More like a light drizzle.

Cindy

kdkaboom55
Idol
kdkaboom55
In response to cindy312

I used it on my Christmas cards and loved the way they turned out. Glimmer mist is not an exact science...it'll rarely look the same way twice. But it's worth it to practice if you like the dreamy, watercolor quality. It's also great for coloring naked items.

D3inKs
D3inKs 
Idol
D3inKs
In response to kdkaboom55

I love Glimmermist. I have 3 colors and I use them a lot. Like someone else said, it takes a little practice and holding the bottle at different levels to achieve different affects.

Scrappy Nan
Idol
Scrappy Nan
In response to D3inKs

ok, i dislike the dribbling too, but i have transfered the GM into a different sprayer bottle with better results...though that is a pain.

spraying from a distance and dabbing is best. i love the look on white flowers the best!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Scrappy Nan

Thanks for the ideas... I will try it again!

New Kid On the Block
In response to *jesse*

One more tip - I discovered that my fingertip was hanging over the front of the nozzle and this made it drip like crazy. When I put my finger back where it belonged, no more drips.

You should also remember that the absorbency of the paper makes a huge difference! Glossy - you will pool, naked - absorbed!

Don't give up, it's beautiful!

Kirsten

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to kirspend

Try swirling the bottle from side to side instead of shaking it -- that is a tip from the Tattered Angels President herself. You can also used can air to force nozzle blockages out or run the nozzle upside down under warm running water, spraying until it works again. Or like Nan said, transfer it to a mini mister or MistIt! -- these are smaller so they can fit in your crop bag really easy.

I love my Glimmer Mist! One of the DT members I think said it best--Glimmer Mist is an art medium and it is going to splatter and look different everytime--you will never get the same exact thing twice.

If you want all over coverage (no splatter) spray and immediately go over it with a brayer. Keep spraying and then brayering until you get the full coverage look you want.

If you just want a mist over the page I usually hold my page vertically and spray the mist at it with holding the page upright. If you move your arm in an arc motion across the page the mist will "mist" over in a fine mist on the whole page. If you get a blob, just keep a little piece of paper towel handy to dab that up.

If you are getting a lot of blobs you are probably spraying too much on. If you want a fine mist but really want to see it, spray 1-2 times in an arc across the paper, heat with a heat gun to dry, then repeat as many times until you get the fully misted look you want. When spraying an entire piece of paper it helps to think of mist like spray paint. You have to do a few coats to cover. If you do it all at once, it runs and gets all ugly looking. Same with the mist (unless that is the look you are going for).

You can also try Glimmer Screens to make designs with the mist. You can even use it on acrylic stamps-just mist the stamp lightly and then stamp! It gives a more distressed look.

Sometimes I spray alot of mist on a project and the lay a paper towel over top and press to take up the excess. I use Bounty and it has this cool diamond pattern on it that is faintly transferred to the page.

You can spray Prima flowers like Nan mentioned also. The Festive White flowers are awesome for this.

I have also sprayed flowers when they did not match in order to make them match--say you have 5 diff shades of pink flowers that don't go together. Spray them all with a deeper color of mist (such as Bubblegum Pink if you were doing pink flowers). They will all be the same color when you are done. You will want to spray alot on the flowers to get them totally colored but don't saturate them until they fall apart--you don't need that much mist. You can lay them in the sun to dry or use a heat gun (careful not to set them on fire! LOL).

A nonstick craft mat will also make your misting life easier. When doing stuff like flowers the excess mist will pool up into little globlets on the mat. You can rub more flowers into this mist, use it to color Glimmer Chips (Tattered Angels chipboard), or rub a piece of paper into it. The mat wipes clean too so you won't make a mess on your table with the mist. Sometimes I go outside to mist, especially if I am covering a page in mist and getting alot of overspray.

Hope that helps! Glimmer Mist is really fun to use after you start thinking about it as an art medium, not a scrapbooking tool like stickers are.

Edited by Jennifer Priest on 03-18-09 07:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to kdkaboom55

• kdkaboom55 Said:
I used it on my Christmas cards and loved the way they turned out. Glimmer mist is not an exact science...it'll rarely look the same way twice. But it's worth it to practice if you like the dreamy, watercolor quality. It's also great for coloring naked items.

Definitely agree with you!!
You can also paint it on with a paint brush!

I used GM on my Christmas cards too--I used really elegant Anna Griffin paper and the mist gave it a more antique, altered look. It was awesome!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to DivaDana

• DivaDana Said:
I had never seen this stuff used till this past weekend. It did seem to bunch up on the paper they sprayed it on but it dried nicely, just took a while. I know someone else will be able to help you with more info.

Try using a heat gun to dry it. I never used that heat gun until I got Glimmer Mist and now it is on my table all the time. Makes thing move along alot faster.

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to Jennifer Priest

Maya Road makes a similar mist that's much easier to use and more even when sprayed. I like both the Glimmer Mist and Maya Mist, but the Maya really is easier, neater.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics