Username Post: Best Tools        (Topic#1498899)
New Kid On the Block

What are the best tools and things to get to start? Also, what should I not get?

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to baykenzmom

These are the things that I cant live without right now:

1. Cutterpede Cutter w/ the deckle blade and scallop blade
2. Ek Success Scallop Punch
3. xyron X, 510 & 900
4. Cosmo Cricket s new paper kits
5. Crop-a-dile
6. Perfect Layers System

And just for fun...

Stickles
Flowers
Ribbons
Brads
Buttons

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-18-09 12:36 PM
In response to m.perk

things I use on every layout

guillotine paper cutter from CM (I don't remember what it is called)
12 inch paper cutter from Cutterpede
Cropadile Big Bite
ATG gun
Cricut
xyron X and 250

things I really like or tools that are very handy:
paper piercer
brads/eyelets
ribbon
stickles
Cutterpede stitching bugs

things I seldom if ever use anymore:

CM cutting system - I love the set just don't use them as much
lots of little punches

other bit of advice:

scrap a while before investing in any major organziation system. Your needs will change a lot over time.

Brit33
Brit33 
Tenant
Brit33
In response to j3Mel

If you are just getting started, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on the big items until you have tried them out. As you get into it you'll discover what you like and don't like.
You absolutely need a 12x12 paper cutter, good scissors, a tape runner and assorted paper. Shop around, take a class or two for ideas and to use new products and tools. Also maybe subscribe to a scrapbooking magazine for ideas and products. It is a fun hobby, enjoy.

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to j3Mel

I prefer a guillotine cutter as well.

I have the Cropadile (not the big bite) and it works great! It also can punch holes in so many things (I just used it on a little tin pail so I could tie a bow on the front)

Mrs. Tristan
Queen
Mrs. Tristan
In response to GreenDragonLady

here are the things i can't live without!

Products Referenced in This Post:

Mrs. Tristan
Queen
Mrs. Tristan
In response to Mrs. Tristan

of course.. you have to remember everyone has different tastes and budgets lol i've collected my wonderful tools over a loooonnngg time.. small budget

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Mrs. Tristan

I've only been scrapping about 6 months and already know I should have never bought stickers!! Haha - but the basics: 12" cutter is my most used item by far. Good luck!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to RockStar

Yup,,,,,12 inch cutter should be number one, and don't buy one for 3.00,,,,,,go for at least a 20.00-25.00 (presale or precoupon) one, and buy it on sale or use a coupon to make it more affordable,,,,LOVE my cutterpede,,,

Don;t BOTHER with the glue sticks, they are useless,,,,and wet glue will warp your pages,,,,invest in some Glue Dots . And get some paper,,,

The rest you can collect one LO at a time,,,as you need it I agree, you won't need thousands of stickers. What few I have, my grandchildren usually use when THEY scrap.

Holly

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean

I've only been scrapping for a short time too, but I do have a few suggestions. You'll definitely need a paper trimmer. I'd suggest a rotary trimmer as the guillotine style takes a lot of practice to get right. You'll also need a good quality adhesive, don't be tempted by the glue sticks in a pack of 10; a nice tape runner or Glue Dots will work better in the long run. You'll definitely need some cardstock; get some basic colours and branch out from there. Pick up a scrapbooking magazine or two and take note of what appeals to you. That will help you decide what other materials you might need.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

There are no best tools...as everyone who loves their tools think theirs are the best! Everyone is going to have different tastes and likes and dislikes, and different styles of the same product.

The cutter, I use a guillotine cutter for my pictures, others the rotary blade, it's going to be what works best for you. I've never used a rotary cutter, but the good thing about those is you can get different blades for a designed edge, where as the guillotine cutter is straight blade only.

My suggestion is definitely trying out products at a store before investing in them. There are classes at stores, where they will teach and let you try products before you buy. Otherwise, you will do like me, buy the hottest trend at the hottest price, find out you don't like it and sell it at a garage sale for pennies!

Things I certainly use on every LO: my pc (for journaling & titles), scissors (shown below), guillotine cutter, pp, brads/flowers/eyelets. Best thing you can do, search the gallery for LOs you like and will want to try, then contact the artist, find out what she used, then maybe purchase those products.

Just my 2 cents!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to StarsNSparkles

I think if you are just getting started the most important things to start with would be: cardstock, adhesive, scissors, 12 inch trimmer, nice black pen for journaling, and a self-healing cutting mat.
Everything else you would need to pick out based on your personal tastes and preferences. You will probably want some embellishments, patterned paper , and other tools as you go along, but take it slow--pick out stuff for 1, or 2 layouts at a time until you know what you like, and whether, or not this is the hobby for you. My advice would be not to try and scrimp and save money on the basic supplies, especially adhesives, because you will probably be sorry in the long run. Have fun getting started!

ScrappyLisa06
Resident
ScrappyLisa06
In response to luv2scrap:)

Everyone gave you great advice. I love my Cricut but its a big investment for just getting started. Just start with the basics like everyone suggested and you'll work into your style and taste of what you like and NEED. I, too, have little punches and I never use them and I agree too~~avoid glue sticks! Enjoy your new hobby and watch out....its very addicting!!!

Edited by Lisa66 on 03-22-09 09:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics