Username Post: Stiching question        (Topic#1498935)
DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl

What kind of needles/thread do you use for stiching on layouts?
I ordered some Bazzill templates...but thought I could get the rest locally.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I personally do handstitching on a LO. I use regular sewing needles with DMC threads (2 strands). Dont use too thin or too thick...

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to TheCharmedOne

I use a regular sewing needle, but I prefer 3 strands of DMC.

Here's a lo with 2 strands (which still looks ok) Sleeping Beauty By Rosita and one with 3 strands (I think the stitching looks better) Omelet in a bag By Rosita

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to Rosita

I haven't done any stitching on my LO's but did ALOT of cross stitch. I would think by the thickness of the floss 2 or 3 strands would be fine. I would think a sewing needle or a stitchery needle would work.

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to momma paparazzi

I have handstitched on a few cards and layouts. I have used the Bazzill templates and really like them. They are very easy to use. I think the thickness of the floss depends on what effect you are looking for...just have fun with it!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to caraboo

I like yarn darning needles and craft thread. You can get a pack of 103 skeins in the embroidery section at J;s for under $15 and even cheaper with the coupon. It has every color in the rainbow and it twisted unlike regular embroidery floss.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Jennifer Priest

I have layouts with those Bazzill templates but have not yet scanned them. I love those templates, esp the circle on for trees. Here is a layout I did with some of the craft thread I was talking about:

We Walk To School By Jennifer Priest

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to Jennifer Priest

Karen foster´s Scrappers Floss and the piercing tool listed, Don´t need any needles!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to StrawberryPia

Thanks so much for al the info ladies!

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole

i just use normal thread

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to Jordannichole

As for how many strands of floss ya wanna use highly depends on how well you want the stitching being shown. More strands to make it more appearant and less strands to put it more to the background. Also, color is very important. If you would use for example white, then it wont show as much as for example black if you'd be using 2 strands. For the lighter colors you easily could use more strands if ya want it on the foreground, darker colors only need 2 strands to have it stand out. I cross stitch a lot aswell as scrapping and I stitch with a very fine aïda (7 to a centimeter) and I use 2 strands for that. For scrapbooking, I do the same and it works for me.
Just keep check of yer colors and how much ya want the stitching to stand out on yer LO. The finer the needle, the smaller the punching holes will be but..the finer, the more important it is to pre punch the holes.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to TheCharmedOne

Well I scrap on a major budget so I use my Grandmother's old cross stitch needles or sewing needles. I also have a large yarn needle for when I use yarn or things of that nature. I use small regular old sewing needles for more defined stitching, and I use mostly cross stitch floss because it is cheap and you can decide how many strands to use depending on how thick you want your lines or stitches to be. There are no rules and if there are I have broken every single one of them.

Here is a tip: If you don't have a pattern make one out of patterned paper or any design you want to stitch out. Use your paper piercer or your cuttle bugs and go freehand. Say you want to stitch a flower. Find a flower on a piece of paper and use your piercer to punch out holes around the lines of the flower. Then start stitching. When you are finished you can either cut it out or use the pattern with a few well placed stitches as your design. You really can stitch anything. If you use buttons or things of this nature instead of just glueing them on stitch them on. You get better detail.

Stitching is cool because you don't need fancy products to get where you are going. Just go where it takes you. I use a glue stick to glue down my floss and then I just stitch everything out. There are a million differet stitches you can use and if I do buy products I buy products I can use over and over again. You are on the right path.

Just remember any needle will do the trick, you can play with all different kinds of threads and string, and there are absolutely no right or wrong products for the job. Go to the craft store and just look at all the needles and floss, thread, string, yarn, whatever. Trust me when I say the ideas will flow. Sometimes they don't work so well but sometimes they turn out better than you could ever imagine.

I find actual scrap booking supplies to be too much for my budget but I go to the craft store and wonder out of the scrap iales just to find the exact same thing, without a brand name, that does the same thing. Go forth and stitch away.
Products Referenced in This Post:

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane

I have been collecting all of the Bazzill stitch templates, I love them! I use regular sewing needles and DMC thread. The # of strands depends on how much I want the stitching to stand out

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to lifeinthefastlane

Thanks ladies! Since I originally posted this I have purchased a bunch of Bazzill templates and floss from J's. I actually have a large stitching needle that I had in my sewing box. Thanks for the tip on creating my own template too!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

I just use my machine. Does the hand stitching look better on a layout? I've never done any hand stitching. Just curious.

Edited by Anna C on 07-01-09 03:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to Anna C

I do both, it depends on my mood. I hand stitch on something I want a bold look on, and machine stitch mostly on my vintage layouts, for a more subtle look

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics