Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Clear Stamp Questions        (Topic#1499131)
Noggyn@y
Tenant
Noggyn@y

I really like what stamping can do for LO's and cards...however I have always been a big chicken and was afraid to try them for fear I would mess up whatever I was doing. SO...now I have decided to take the plunge and I purchased a few sets of clear stamps to use. I looked through the gallery at pages that used stamps and had the look that I am going for...my problem is that I don't know if I should stamp directly on my paper and pics or if I should stamp onto a transperancy and then cut around it???
Any Advice???

Thanks!

Cupcakes for Chloe
Pro
Cupcakes for Chloe
In response to Noggyn@y

I always stamp directly on my paper. Its just easier for me that way. I have only tried stamping on my actual photo once, and I will never do it again because it never dried and smeared everywhere, Thankfully I had doubles!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Cupcakes for Chloe

I've never stamped directly on a photo, but I do stamp directly on my paper sometimes. What if you practice a few times on extra paper to get the hang of it? If you don't like the way it looks, you can always cover it up with another embellishment or piece of paper. I've had to do that quite a few times myself

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to Tina scraps

You want to make sure the stamp is preped by rubbing it really well with a white eraser. If your going to stamp on a pic or a transparency it needs to be an ink like staz on, regular ink will never dry on a slick serface. I always stamp directly on my pp, but I sugest praticing with them first. I'm sure once you get the hang of it you'll love stamping!

creativesoul_in_WI
Governor
creativesoul_in_WI
In response to Scrappin Kitty

I prep my clear stamps by sanding them with an emery board. I find that works better than an eraser. Also, using Staz On is the way to go for photos, transparencies, ceramics, glass, etc.

AvasScrapbookingMommy
Resident
AvasScrapbookingMommy
In response to creativesoul_in_WI

I haven't done that much stamping, so I am also curious about it. Why do you sand or erase your stamps before you use them?

Noggyn@y
Tenant
Noggyn@y
In response to AvasScrapbookingMommy

Thank you for all the great tips...I am on my way to Michael's to purchse some Staz On ink before they close...and when I get back I'll try it out.

Chell Rae
Pro
Chell Rae
In response to Noggyn@y

I wouldn't recommend stamping on photos, it never dries! what a mess. I usually stamp directly on the paper, the other tip I will give you is to take the "ink" pad to the stamp (don't press the stamp onto the ink pad) and you have a little better control on the coloring and not getting the excess ink on parts of the stamp you don't want to show up when you press it on the paper.

pollywog
Expert
pollywog
In response to Chell Rae

I have never tried to stamp directly onto a photo. I have been meaning to buy some Staz-On ink, but I think it's soooo expensive!

ScrappinSage
Veteran
ScrappinSage
In response to pollywog

The "sanding" is because clear stamps have a very smooth finish when they are new, which leads to the ink beading up on the stamp edge (making for lines that are darker in some areas and lighter in others.) By sanding, you are getting a texture a lot closer to traditional pink rubber stamps.

mommy3girls
Veteran
mommy3girls
In response to ScrappinSage

Great info....thanks for the tips

gfoster
New Kid On the Block
gfoster
In response to mommy3girls

I use alot of clear stamps. I find that pigment ink works better than dye ink. Usually don't have to "sand" the stamps if you use pigment ink.

mrbabcock
Veteran
mrbabcock
In response to gfoster

Another little tip, sometimes the first stamp (right after you've applied the ink) is too much, experiment on a scrap paper with how the second stamped image looks before stamping on your pp. It's a nice way to fade out stamps or make them look a little more natural.

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to mrbabcock

I only use the clear stamps but I have never sanded or used an eraser on them...? Mine seemed to turn out okay. I stamp directly on the paper. I especially like the clear stamps because if the image isn't as dark as you want you can see through the block to stamp it again. (And again and again...)

laura_d
Resident
laura_d
In response to Noggyn@y

I don't sand my stamps either but I do my first few stamps on a scrap to make the finished image clearer. Also, if you put a thin foam pad of some type under your paper it makes the stamped image come out clearer. CTMH stamps have a foam pad in each package. You can also use the thin foam packing material.

scrappin-nae
Veteran
scrappin-nae
In response to laura_d

great tips, i've wondered about what everyone thought between using the acrylic and rubber stamps. at first i didn't like the clear stamps but i'm getting more and more into them. love how they are so much easier to store and take up less room.

Sorsha
Sorsha 
New Kid On the Block
Sorsha
In response to scrappin-nae

I'm having a dickens of a time getting some of my clear stamps to stick on the acrylic block. They just won't stick anymore! Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Sorsha on 03-30-09 09:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sorsha

OK, I'm going to take the plunge and look REALLY stupid here,,,,,

I've never EVER stamped,,,,,EVER,,,,well, except when I volunteered at the library a million years ago

Clear stamps intrigue me,,,,,

but I can't figure them out,,,,,HOW do you stamp them,,,,,there's nothing to hold ON to,,,

It appears you must PUT them into something,,,

but WHAT????? Is it this "block" that someone said they couldn't get the stamps to stick to?? I looked at clearstamps at Walmart but didn't see any blocks,,,,,of course, Walmart isn't exactly LOADED with supplies So if the stamps won't stick to this, what do you do???

I'm just a bit confused by clear stamps,,,and I've spent the past month feeling like an idiot over it,,,,,

Holly

scrappingmommyof2girls
Idol
scrappingmommyof2girls
In response to CommaHolly

Holly, you shouldn't feel like an idiot! We all have points where we have no clue what something is or how it works until someone tells us...

Clear stamps are meant to be used with an acrylic block (see examples below). They are really easy to use! The blocks come in different sizes and all you need to do is find one that's a good size for the stamp(s) you want to use. When you go to stamp, you peel your clear stamp off of it's backing and just stick it to the block. There's your handle.

I LOVE clear stamps because you can see exactly where you're stamping and if you miss a spot, you can go right back and fill it in!

Do you have a Michael's near you? If so, they have tons of mini clear stamps for $1 each and they even have mini acrylic blocks to use with them that are also $1. That would be a good way to try it out cheaply to see how you like it...

scrappingmommyof2girls
Idol
scrappingmommyof2girls
In response to Sorsha

• Sorsha Said:
I'm having a dickens of a time getting some of my clear stamps to stick on the acrylic block. They just won't stick anymore! Does anyone have any ideas?

That's awful! I've not had one yet that wouldn't stick anymore so I'm not sure how to help. Sorry...

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics