Username Post: fairly new to the scrapbook thing...        (Topic#1499253)
New Kid On the Block

i bought an adorable scrapbook and a brand new camera recently hoping to document my college life.

that being said, i'm a poor college student on a budget in need of some helpful tips and advice for creating a really awesome scrapbook.

i don't need any pages for the book but i was so overwhelmed by all the different tools and everything, and i don't even know what to do with half of the things i've seen so far that i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask the professionals.

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 03-23-09 12:02 AM
In response to lentiggini1

The best advice I can give you is dont be overwhelmed, I understand is not easy with all the stuffs but, the best pages sometimes have been done with less stuff and less tools. So for a begginer I think you just need the basics like:

Scissors
paper
glue, ( walmart sells one that is great and inexpensive brand AT Tech runner doted glue)
permanent marker (the basic color is black) but is up to you
some alphabet stickers (Just Dont go crazy with stickers)
Rule
and if you want you can add some embellishmets of your choice like flowers, or ribbons.

As a hint, try to sign up at some web sites that sell scrapbook stuff and they are gonna send you Coupons for 40% or 50% so you can use it to buy the expensives goodies like paper stacks or stamps. And always buy when the stuff is on sale you are gonna save way too much $$$.

I hope this helps you!!!
and WELCOME here there are too many nice girls and all of them are willing to help anytime you need!!!

KITswpa
Veteran
KITswpa
In response to naf

Several rules I made for myself. Buy just what you are going to use. Try to spend the least amount on embellishments you can make them from things you have already. You can tear letters or cut them out of your scrapbook paper. Add flowers that you make from layering paper. Go to your LSS and use their die cuts and punches. I punch out a few extras for use later. I buy a patterned paper to go with my layout and plain papers to compliment that patterned paper . I watch for plain paper to go onsale or use a coupon. I use the packages that contain the color combos I like. The others I don't purchase, because I don't think I will use them right now. Save your scraps! They are great for when you using punches. Remember when making a title for a page the letters don't have to be all the same color so those little scraps come in handy when you want to add some color to a page. Pick your favorite photos from an event! Don't try and use all your photos. Some photos you can cut down in size because you did get more background that is not usable and just need the center subject. I don't throw away those not so good photos I use them for letters and embellishments too. The more you work the more you will start to establish your style and personalize your pages! Welcome to a great hobby! Warning: DO NOT LET SCRAPBOOKING TAKE OVER YOUR LIVE AND MAKE YOU LEAVE YOUR STUDIES GO! SCRAPBOOKING CAN BECOME ADDICTIVE! I NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE NOT WANTING TO LEAVE CLASSES.

Eltringham
Idol
Eltringham
In response to KITswpa

Try to find a local scrapbooking store. The one near me, not only hosts crops, but for a small fee will let you scrap with the store's tools. So for a little cash, you have the chance to try out some of them out before you buy them. And the owner might be willing to show you how to use them as well. And if you go to a crop, usually you get a discount from the store on anything you buy during the crop. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 03-24-09 05:07 AM
In response to Eltringham

Have you thought about digi scrapping? There are lots of free downloads available for digi. Check the digi scrapping forum below this one.

Guru
In response to Tivi

Along with scissors I'd get a paper trimmer so you can cut the larger sheets down when you need them. I watched and got one on sale at 50% off at Hobby Lobby a couple of months ago. I didn't get anything fancy, just one of the smaller more inexpensive ones.

Keep you eye out in the Sunday newspaper for the Michael's ad as it usually has Coupons . The one in this last Sunday's paper had two I can use, one for 10% off total purchase, including sale itmes, and one for 40% off one regular priced item. The latter coupon, which is in the ad most Sunday's is good when you want to buy something that costs more than would would ordinarily be willing to pay. It's not just for scrapbooking items but for everything in the store that's not on sale. Just read the coupon closely to see if there are any other exceptions to what you can purchase with it. Good luck.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to moodymolly

I'd buy:

trimmer
adhesive
cardstock (basic colors- neutrals)
patterned paper (one coordinated pack)
acid-free pen

You can do a ton with just those basics and they won't cost you a fortune. I'll link some of my favorites below.

Cindy

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to cindy312

Warning: DO NOT LET SCRAPBOOKING TAKE OVER YOUR LIVE AND MAKE YOU LEAVE YOUR STUDIES GO! SCRAPBOOKING CAN BECOME ADDICTIVE! I NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE NOT WANTING TO LEAVE CLASSES.

Now what kind of advice is that! Oh...right... she's a student! Sorry.

AvasScrapbookingMommy
Resident
AvasScrapbookingMommy
In response to dwelch

You can get a lot of cheap embelishments at the dollar store. I recently bought a bunch of silk flowers and just removed them from the stems to use them in my LOs. For about $4, I got a small box full of individual flowers. A lot of the time you can just use items from around the house too. You just have to be creative. As long as you have the basic tools, you can create some nice clean pages. Here is what I would recommend as a basic tool kit:

Paper Trimmer (definite must have for scrapbooking)
Scissors
Adhesive, I prefer tape runners
A pack of patterned paper
A pack of cardstock
Black Marker
Ruler

I now have a Cricut, but for years before I had it I would just use my computer and printer to print out the titles for my pages. Being a student, I am assuming you have access to a computer and printer.

mollydog
Veteran
mollydog
In response to AvasScrapbookingMommy

Welcome to the world of scrapbooking and to this site. We're here to help and hpefully not to enable you when it comes to shopping. I agree with the above. You don't have to spend alot to make nice pgs. just have fun.

Sarah-Scraps
Mayor
Sarah-Scraps
In response to mollydog

Try to be resourceful with your supplies, keep all offcuts of paper - you never know when tiny pieces will come in handy, I use double sided tape that comes on a roll in a box, and individual squares come off the roll - I cut the squares in half when I'm scrapping - instead of 250 sticky squares I get 500. Same as tools, only buy what you need - cricuts are nice but with a bit of extra time you can create your own embellies with a pair of scissors.

BlingPrincessMarci
Diva
BlingPrincessMarci
In response to Sarah-Scraps

i use Word a lot to print some things that i need. for my last LO's i printed a circle, instead of buying a tool for it.

always check your dollar stores for stickers and glue... things that you'll use often.

also.. make a little scrapping collection from all the loose change you have. you'd be amazed what you can get with it. when M's has 8 sheets of patterned paper for $1... your change will go a long way. and even though its in coin form.. money is money

New Kid On the Block
In response to BlingPrincessMarci

thanks everyone! all this advice has really helped me out!

yea definitely one of my problems is that i just have SO MANY pictures that i want to put in there. i think i just need to put my foot down and cut out some of the pictures.

but yea all the basics you guys suggested are really going to help me out! and your cheap suggestions are really great! you guys are all so helpful!

hodgepodge722
Veteran
hodgepodge722
In response to lentiggini1

i think another great investment is a set of clear alphabet stamps. they can run around $10, but use a 50% coupon and it's $5. then also pick up a black ink pad (distress ink is $4.99...again, use a coupon!) you can do all sorts of titles and captions and even highlight a word or two in your journaling. and they never run out!

another place to look...target's dollar section near the entrance often has sb supplies, and joann's carries Colorbok supplies which last i looked were $1 too.

btw...that ink pad can be used for inking the edges of your cardstock...another way to give your layouts a great look for cheap! use the ink pad directly on the edge of your cardstock or smudge some on with a piece of felt or a cotton ball.

good luck...have fun...and welcome to a new hobby!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics