Username Post: Horsey/Western paper suggestions?        (Topic#1499749)
scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac

I'm going to make an 8x8 album for a charity auction soon. It needs to horsey/Western themed, and thought I knew a line of pp to could use, but when I looked at it online, realized it's not as "Western" as I thought.

Any good ideas for pp lines with that theme? I saw some cute stuff last summer when we were on vacation but didn't get any then, and have never seen it anywhere since then.

On Monday, I'll be going to Michaels and Hobby Lobby, the only places around (actually 75 miles away) to get such things.

Thanks for the help

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-27-09 10:55 AM
In response to scrappinmac

my suggestion is rather than buy a lot of printed paper, go with leathery/warm colors and distressing. That way it doesn't matter if the person who gets it is an avid horse person or it is just a vacation book where someone rented horses and took a ride, it should work well.

My family rides horses quite a bit and we do a lot of camping and trailriding. I have found most of the printed paper has more of a novelty feel (this is my opinion) and our pictures tend to "feel" better using color.

JMO

sunny_day_09
Resident
sunny_day_09
In response to j3Mel

what a great idea!! I had paper given to me as a gift once that was red and blue and had white bandanas on it... it reminded me of a western sort of theme!

mustBcrazy
Pro
mustBcrazy
In response to j3Mel

• j3Mel Said:
my suggestion is rather than buy a lot of printed paper, go with leathery/warm colors and distressing. That way it doesn't matter if the person who gets it is an avid horse person or it is just a vacation book where someone rented horses and took a ride, it should work well.

My family rides horses quite a bit and we do a lot of camping and trailriding. I have found most of the printed paper has more of a novelty feel (this is my opinion) and our pictures tend to "feel" better using color.

JMO

I agree. You could distress a carmel colored cardstock and use twine as a embelie. Make your own "brands" with black markers or cardstock, maybe just a few western/horsey embelies. Too much themed pp might overwhelm...

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-27-09 11:10 AM
In response to sunny_day_09

try tans and ivory inked with browns as well. Gives it a leather feel.

also dark greens, deep purples, burgundies, and navy blues.....gives it a really warm nature feel.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-27-09 11:15 AM
In response to j3Mel

you can also find some barnwood type paper that works well and use copper or bronze embellishments like brads and eyelets. You can also find ribbon that looks like strips of leather.

using reds:
Priceless right side By J3Mel

using purples and greens
Labor Day 2007 By J3Mel

tans with dark primary colors and diecuts
Sunday ride to Grandma's By J3Mel

just a few ideas. I have a wide variety in my gallery.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-27-09 11:16 AM
In response to j3Mel

here is an example of inking the camel color (this one is Bazzill cardstock)

I did use some printed paper for it but covered the part I thought was kind of "cheesey" for my pictures with the journaling mat.

First Trail Ride By J3Mel

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-27-09 11:18 AM
In response to j3Mel

you might also consider denim blue paper......that would probably work as a "generic" background.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-27-09 11:24 AM
In response to j3Mel

I almost forgot about this one.

FAmily, a gift that lasts forever By J3Mel

I used jute to make the frame, cut up some old jeans for the denim, inked the chipboard letters with dark brown and used the sizzix to cut out some of the flowers out of scraps of denim.

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to j3Mel

There are a bunch of that theme sold here!

Products Referenced in This Post:

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to DawnInAZ

Dawny, thanks for looking all those up. I hadn't seen the ecuts before, maybe they are new.

melilou
Guru
melilou
In response to DawnInAZ

Two pp lines you can get at scrapbook.com are Wanted and Halfway Cafe by Cosmo Cricket . THey are older lines, so you probably couldn't find them in local stores.
Products Referenced in This Post:

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to melilou

Thanks for the ideas! I'll have fun checking them all out!

loves ranch life
Diva
loves ranch life
In response to scrappinmac

Hi! I take lots of horse pictures and do lots of LO's of my horses. I like to use distressed paper also. I want the focus to be on the horses, scenery and people. The less to draw away from that the better. When I scrap my 6yr old grandaughter, I do go off course and use lots of pink, as she loves pink. And of course with her new pink saddle blanket it is a must!! I have a few of my horse LO's in my gallery and I know there are some other great ones of others!
Have fun!
Judy

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 03-28-09 05:39 AM
In response to loves ranch life

I'm a little late to the party....

I use Cosmo Cricket 's Wanted line for a lot of my rodeo LO's - Buffalo Bill and Slue Foot Sue mostly. Check my gallery for Sweethearts of the Rodeo and some of the photo shoots of D2.

Our HL and M's has the loose paper in demin, barnwood, leather (both the look and the one that feels like leather), and several different red, white and blue themed papers. You could also use the tan colored parchment paper.

The album will be 8x8, right? You may have to buy the 12x12 size paper and cut it down. The stores in my area don't have a big selection of 8x8.

If you have a Cricut, and the Pooh font cart, you could cut some letters using the Wood font.

I found a western stencil at M's. It has a branding iron, guns, saddle, bucking horse, and some others. It was one of the long sized stencils, about 4 inches wide and 12 or 15 inches long.

HTH!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics