Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: What do you wish you DIDN'T buy        (Topic#1500369)
StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I have just finished reading a post from last year, 6 pages long, on this very subject. I was going to revive it, but I thought others may not want to read all 6 pages. So, I decided to create a new, fresh thread for more recent items that people wish they hadn't bought!

Most everyone on that thread agreed that they don't like stickers, at least the older style that are flat with the white border around them. They also agreed to the tons of eyelets and brads they bought, but me personally, I like brads and eyelets and use them quite often. Then there were the deco scissors, but I don't feel so bad about mine because I bought them 10 years ago, so it's no recent waste of money, and when I bought them, they were the "in" thing and I used them a lot (regrettably, lol)

I wish I had never bought the Making Memories Tag Maker, you can't see inside the machine, so the paper falls out of the metal rim, then you squeeze and half the rim is crushed, the other half nothing...just a waste.

I also bought a circle/border edge punch. I bought it a couple of months ago and I haven't used it, and I don't see myself using it. It was only $6 though, so not too bad a waste.

Then there are the 2000(?) piece scrapbook kits off of the QVC or HSN shows. I maybe use 1/3 of it, the rest I have given away or hold onto waiting to use.

So, of all the new products that have come out in the last couple of years...what do you regret buying?

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-02-09 05:35 AM
In response to StarsNSparkles

That Cutter Bee Circle thing.

All those Fiskars Templates - I have never been able to cut worth a darn with those!! And I have NEVER even once used the Super Sized Circles.

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen

I bought a crimper a few years ago... While I still like it on other people's layouts, I can never figure out what to do with it. I've never used it.

I have tons of vellum - 10 people couldn't use it all in their entire scrapbooking lives, lol.

While I have lots more supplies that are still sitting untouched, I don't regret buying them because I still plan on using them, someday...

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to Dancing Queen

Oh yeah, the Fiskars shape cutter thing - I never did figure it out!! Couldn't cut a thing with it.

kdkaboom55
Idol
kdkaboom55

The one I remember is a 12-letter stamp which had the letters on rolling rubber band, like the old school date stamps, remember those? The premise being that you could spell out different words or phrases up to 12 characters in length...there were spaces on there too, if you wanted to make two words. The problem was, the thing was big and unwieldy, you could never get a good ink transfer, and the letters were too far apart. I used it once, then gave it away...soooo disappointing!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to kdkaboom55

How about the Fiskars oval and circle cutters? Normally I love their stuff, but those get a thumbs down from me.

I also regret purchases of the big stacks of everything...chipboard, pp, etc. I never have even used 1/4 of it because it's not attractive or high-quality. I gave the rest of them to my three year old. I'd rather spend a little more and buy by the piece, knowing I'll get things I will use.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to kdkaboom55

My gram bought me a fastenator. I used it maybe twice and gave it away to a friend.

The title-topia from Creative Memories. I never use that thing and don't even know what I did with it.

The provo craft mini sewing machine. What a piece of junk. It's gone.

I got one of those scrapping backpacks as a gift. It has spots for pens/markers and bunches of little compartments, but it's in a backpack format. Nothing 12x12 fit in it, so you still had to carry another bag. I sold it at a yard sale to a teenager who loved it.

I love brads but rarely use the tons of eyelets that I have.

I don't really like kits very much, because I often only use parts of it and the rest goes to waste. The only exception to this is the recent ones that a friend sent me. She knows what I like, so most everything in the kit is something I'll use. The ones she got me came from kit clubs, though. They're not like the ones you buy at M's.

powder for wet embossing. I can't get the hang out of it. I bought tons of powders years and years ago. I am not even sure if they are still good. They've been sitting in a drawer, untouched.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to petergabrielfan

For me it is the Junkitz (sp?) tag thingie. I got it on clearance so I didn't spend alot but what a waste anyway!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to melissadam

Oh, I almost bought that. Luckily, my DH was with me and asked me what in the heck I'd do with it. He started teasing me about really wanting it to reattach tags to old clothes and return them. LOL. Since I would not do that and he knows I wouldn't, it was pretty funny. It also saved me from buying it! Sorry you got stuck!

Edited by siameseplease on 04-02-09 06:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to melissadam

Ek Success Circle Scissors. My dh is the only one who can get it to work right. Everything else I love. I love to look at the paper and supplies so it is not wasted. Also, I now live more than an hour away from ANY kind of store, so I am using more and more of my supplies and trying new stuff. Except the circle scissors. Oh and the Provo Craft Mini Sewing Machine

Pawz94
Pawz94 
Veteran
Pawz94
In response to scrapnread

I'd have to go with tons and tons of eyelets. I bought them back when they were popular and I don't know that I've ever actually used them. I always forget about them.

scrapyourlifeart
Resident
scrapyourlifeart
In response to Pawz94

Oh definitely the Fiskars shape cutters and stacks of paper...donated them!

Resident
In response to scrapyourlifeart

Well I love that I brought all those eyelets and brads in every color they are their when I need it kinda thing I hate that I brought the MM tag curler that thing is still in the box i tried it onced and its aways crooked and the tags aren't pretty what was I thinking. Anyway I'll live. The Junk-it thing was junk and the wire making tool nothing turned out nice.No more kits for me either I have a storage section for kits.
Lets I hope I love the tiny stapler I just purchased or I'll be adding to the list.

Cindy

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 04-02-09 06:58 AM
In response to craftycindy

I used to think my eyelets were a waste but then I bought the crop-a-dile big bite and I love using them now!!

I don't use my fastenator a lot but once in a while it comes in handy. I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. For me, I've gone through a ton of organizing schemes before landing on a set of drawers that I love now. It just takes forever to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Pawz94
Pawz94 
Veteran
Pawz94
In response to j3Mel

• j3Mel Said:
I used to think my eyelets were a waste but then I bought the crop-a-dile big bite and I love using them now!!
I don't use my fastenator a lot but once in a while it comes in handy. I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. For me, I've gone through a ton of organizing schemes before landing on a set of drawers that I love now. It just takes forever to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Yea! I thought about getting one of those. I think part of the reason I never used them is because you used to have to hammer them.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to Pawz94

I bought some yarn on sale at big lots. It's not the money - it's the space and waste. I haven't used it yet and even when I do, there'll be so much left over. Now that I say this, I think I'll just cut a piece off and give the rest to my dsil who crochets.

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to Pawz94

Over the years I have acquired quite a few things that I don't use.

I will have to agree with you on the big kits from QVC--they are so appealing because you get so many pieces for your money, but after buying a couple and not using much out of them I now steer clear of them.

The Fastenator--it was so cute and pink, but I prefer my long reach stapler--never get it out.

MM instant eyelet setter--this is better to use than the old hammer which is what I was replacing, but it is still noisy and I never bother with eyelets anymore.

Foam stamps--stocked up on these a couple of years ago, but am too lazy to get out the paint mess usually. I have used some of them, just not enough to justify the purchases.

Bigger xyron --I bought one a few years ago because I thought it was so cool, and never ever use it. I do use my little X though.

MM magnetic stamp set--I do use this occasionally because the letters are tiny and can fit in small spaces, but I think it is kind of a pain in the neck to use.

Little scrapbook sewing machine--kind of junky--hard to use!

These days I try to be pickier about the tools that I buy, but sometimes they are just irresistable!

Pawz94
Pawz94 
Veteran
Pawz94
In response to luv2scrap:)

Oh yeah, I didn't buy this (my mom gave it to me for Christmas) but I have like the very first huge xyron . I think it's a 1200. I'm really not sure because it's so big I put it away and never got it out again.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to luv2scrap:)

I also regret buying the MM tag maker thing. tried to use it once or twice, but it was a disaster. I don't know why I haven't gotten rid of it, other than I hate to throw things away. but nobody seems to like it, so I can't *give* it away either! lol.

I'm not a big fan of the Fiskars cutters, though I have used thema few times. A bunch of my friends are raving about the new martha stewart circle cutter, so I'm thinking about it, except I dislike Martha on principle and most of her stuff doesn't impress me.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Tina scraps

• Tina scraps Said:
I also regret buying the MM tag maker thing. tried to use it once or twice, but it was a disaster. I don't know why I haven't gotten rid of it, other than I hate to throw things away. but nobody seems to like it, so I can't *give* it away either! lol.

I'm not a big fan of the Fiskars cutters, though I have used thema few times. A bunch of my friends are raving about the new martha stewart circle cutter, so I'm thinking about it, except I dislike Martha on principle and most of her stuff doesn't impress me.

I am going to try to garage sale mine for a couple of bucks, maybe some sucker will fall for it...lol!!

I have the Martha Stewart circle cutter too, and I really like it. I don't like Martha Stewart and didn't really want to support her, but the cutter is very easy to use and the price is great! I do wish she would come out with some more if possible in the same style. Just remember to tape down your paper, at least in the middle where you are cutting your circle, otherwise it will move and mess up!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics