Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Ink applicator tool        (Topic#1500605)
Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond

I recently purchased a few of Tim Holtz distressing inks and wondering what is the best way to apply them. Before watching his videos I always applied ink pad directly to paper. I like how he used the ink blending tool to apply ink, the only problem is I can't find one! Its unavailable at the superstore and I couldn't find one at Michaels. Does any one know where I can get one, or even better, does anyone know an alternative to this tool? THanks. Sorry for the long winded question.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Crazydiamond

I'm not sure what his ink blending tool is like but I was reading in a mag last night to get an inexpensive paintbrush for every color of ink you use and use that for applying your ink.

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to NMlady

I use the regular yellow sponges from the kithen! I cut one sponge in 6 pieces and use them with the inks! That way you get the soft inked look like this!

Here Comes the Sun
By StrawberryPia

Scatter
Guru
Scatter

I had the tool for the alcohol inks, and just watched the distressing inks video.

Just picked up a couple of colors last night. I'm anxious to try it.

Essentially the tool is a felt pad held on with a bit of Velcro. I'm sure you could fashion your own. Can't remember for sure where I picked mine up. I think it was J's.

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss
In response to Scatter

I just started using his things as well, this week in fact. Before I did what you did, just swiped the ink pad over the paper, but using a blending tool is so much better! I found my blending tool at Ms and I found 2 at Js. I bought one for each color I bought, thought it would be easier that way. They also sell the refill pads there.

I see they also sell them on this site.

Kim

Jamie Pope
Queen
Jamie Pope
In response to Scrapingbliss

I love the ink tool but if you don't want to spend the money on it, makeup sponges work exactly the same. In fact it you look at the material that goes on the the ink took, it's the same as your makeup sponges. the only difference with the tool is that your fingers don't get inked.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Jamie Pope

I bought a sheet of adhesive felt and cut it into pieces. I peeled off the adhesive and stuck a piece to a block of wood and then when I need another, I peel it off and stick on another felt. super cheap!

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to Here Kitty

Thank you so much for all your advice. I did see the alcohol ink applicator but as I undertand this is different than the ink blending tool?

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
I bought a sheet of adhesive felt and cut it into pieces. I peeled off the adhesive and stuck a piece to a block of wood and then when I need another, I peel it off and stick on another felt. super cheap!

Adhesive felt?!?!?! Why have I not heard of this before? Where, oh where? I want to make my own little stamping blocks.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22

• Crazydiamond Said:
Thank you so much for all your advice. I did see the alcohol ink applicator but as I undertand this is different than the ink blending tool?

No it's the same tool but you use a different type of "applicator." The distress inks use a kind of sponge, and the alcohol inks use pieces of felt.

See the difference in the products I attached?

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to ScrapperSara22

They sell adhesive felt at Mike's--it's in the same aisle as the fun foam (with the children's items).

Scatter
Guru
Scatter

The distress inks use a kind of sponge, and the alcohol inks use pieces of felt.

Glad I popped on to see your post, I was just going to go in and start playing with these. I've got lots of foam and makeup sponges.

Thanks!!

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to Scatter

I use the stamping sponges and/or sponge daubers from Stampin Up.

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to cdjohnson

Thank you Sara! I knew I should have bought those alcohol ink applicators! Darn, I guess I have to shop again today!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
  • Here Kitty Said:

Adhesive felt?!?!?! Why have I not heard of this before? Where, oh where? I want to make my own little stamping blocks.

I get mine at HL with the rest of the felt I'm sure other similar stores would sell them too.

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
  • Crazydiamond Said:

No it's the same tool but you use a different type of "applicator." The distress inks use a kind of sponge, and the alcohol inks use pieces of felt.

Thanks for sharing guys!!
I don't have the foam applicator but i did buy the felt one!
I was going crazy looking for the foam applicator and now I know I could use something else!
Yay!

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to Thaiti30

You're welcome everyone. Sometimes Ranger/Tim's products can be intimidating, but trust me, once you play, you can't stop.

Richelle
Angel
Richelle

I use make up wedges. Press against the ink pad the apply in a downward motion to the edge of the page.

baby By Richelle

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
You're welcome everyone. Sometimes Ranger/Tim's products can be intimidating, but trust me, once you play, you can't stop.

I know! I'm addicted to his line of products. But there are so many cool things you can create with his line/collection. I am in Awwww....... And his video's are so self explanatory. I really love his inks and all other stuff. I've been playing with them since I got them home and I can't seem to put it down! Lol I love Tim Holtz !
Products Referenced in This Post:

hodgepodge722
Veteran
hodgepodge722
In response to Thaiti30

a couple of my distress inks have gotten a little dry...not unusable but not wet either. anyway, i use my alcohol applicator (the felt one) for these. i get a really nice subtle look on my edges.

btw...are we supposed to store the distress inks upside-down? would that keep them from getting dry?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics